We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Okay, so who's going?

Which Acapulco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Okay, so who's going?

I think there has been more and more (valid) criticism and concern over the current state of affairs in Acapulco recently. I also believe that it is becoming more apparent, while no "gringo" tourists have been killed, the violence is spilling over into the tourist zone, whether is be targeted with collateral damage (El Zerrito) or potentially random (the beach shooting with one wounded)

In light of this, I am curious if people would answer the following:

Are you planning to visit Acapulco in the next year?

If Yes, When (approximate)?

Have you booked a flight?

Have you booked a place to stay?

Your typical vacation(daytime sunworship/asleep by midnight/stay out past midnight:

What new precautions you are taking vs. a few years ago?

Anything that would change your mind and keep you away

For Me:

I am going.

Going in January.

Booked Flight & Hotel.

Your typical vacation:

I am more of a night owl, less of a beach person. Rarely back in bed before 4am. Days spent by the pool, occasional shopping in town.

Looking to get a regular driver for the night, no more beetle cabs. Going out less, getting home earlier. Sticking to tried and true places.

Anything that would change your mind and keep you away?

Gringos getting caught up and killed, all the night time places I am familiar with close for good.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Okay, so who's going?

For Me:

Yep.

Hoping for fall, winter, or, preferably, both.

not yet.

Your typical vacation:

Day person but prefer the shade. Usually (but not always) in by midnight.

None.

Anything that would change your mind and keep you away?

Gringos being targeted. That's about it.

Browerville...
Level Contributor
537 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Okay, so who's going?

I will visit Aca from early January to mid_March.

I never book a flight until the fall. Last year I booked on Mexicana, in August, and the following day they filed for bankruptcy. The credit card returned my money with no problems.

Will stay in the same hotel, Pacific Paradise Hotel & Suites, as I have for the last 8 years.

Day person, who loves running, swimming, excercising, reading in the shade and drinking cold white wine. Seeing and visiting my friends in Aca is an important part of my life. Plus I cannot wait to see Hilde at Die Bratwurst.

Common sense should apply in Aca as in the rest of the world. Do not go anywhere you are not comfortable with the conditions.

The only thing that could keep me away is dying.

Edited: 19 July 2011, 16:41
NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Okay, so who's going?

Most likely skipping my November trip, but will probably come back in Jan or Feb. I'm am considering not going this time around do to the increased risk and lack of night activity. I'm not happy about it and I doubt I'll find an alternative that gave me the satisfaction Aca did, but either way I find a good time everywhere I go except for some reason I was bored in London.

Precautions....won't be talking to girls with guys around them, won't be getting into a car with people I don't really know well. Will try as much as possible to just use my older guy cab driver....Less walking at night, would probably not be out as much during the week since there's virtually nobody out during the week, definitely not going to afterhours clubs and not going to off the beaten path bars anymore which was a highlight for me.

Probably no more 6am tacos in the Progresso.

Edited: 19 July 2011, 16:44
Ontario
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Okay, so who's going?

I plan on going, but haven't booked a flight, yet. My biggest grief last year was putting my dog in a kennel for a week. I felt so guilty!

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Okay, so who's going?

I plan on February. Air fare is too high to even consider booking right now. Since I am usually back at the hotel around 10:00, late night activities do not affect me and I will stick to my normal doings. I skipped my summer trip because air fare was $800 and I am in the process of buying a condo. Unfortunately I can't do both.

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
639 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Okay, so who's going?

I plan on going next February if air fares go down and my health goes up.

I'm a day person, so I don't worry about late night shootouts.

Plenty of cold cerveza and day time bar hopping and I'm happy.

Especially Happy Hour at Acapulco Park hotel.

Visiting Hilde and Die Bratwurst is a must!

Wouldn't plan on doing anything differently.

The only thing that would deter me (besides line one above) would be more daytime shootouts involving gringos.

MIAMI
Level Contributor
761 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Okay, so who's going?

Will not be there for my November trip; only because I hope to be in Paris.

I am planning next Feb/March; but way to early to book anything(I usually do that in December; as airfares are high now and my regular hotel will always find me a place; not that people are currently knocking down the doors).

I did change my routine somewhat this past year; more time at the hotel in the evening and when dining out; made sure a taxi was waiting for me. Also I missed the late-night clubbing. I may not go out every night anymore but I am still good for a few nights on the town. This was the most "casual" trip I have spent in-season. I also did not sit at bars/tables directly on the street.

Merced, California
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Okay, so who's going?

I'll be going mid February again as I do every year but I have not booked my flight. Since I can no longer catch a ride with America West I'll need to get a feel for what the other carriers offer. One thing is for sure... I'll be paying much more this year.

Once again I'll be staying at the Fiesta Americana because they have never given me a reason to shop around and lucky for them I'm a creature of habit.

My precautions consist of hanging out in packs with either my gringo friends or local friends or both. All the while always keeping an eye on my surroundings and staying off the beaches at night. Like Need I am so dissapointed I can't visit the local bars but I feel less in control within those crowds these days. Even under the protection of my local friends. It too turn in early.

My typical vacation consists of hanging out by the pool and beach with a tasty Margarita. Or cruising the length of the Costera stopping at Drinks To Go for tasty Margarita's while on the lookout for places to eat. Hanging out with my local family/friends is always the highlight whether it be for a home cooked meal or a day on the boat. Next February I'll be looking forward to sampling the happy hour Margarita's at Dollarbill's hangout The Park Hotel. There is something about a Margy in Acapulco. Would someone please explain that to me?

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Okay, so who's going?

It's they way they present the tequilla, Drew. Always over ice and brain numbingly accurate. Hits the spot instantly (lol). Hope to see you in February, too.

NJ
Level Contributor
261 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Okay, so who's going?

Are you planning to visit Acapulco in the next year? No

If Yes, When (approximate)? NA

Have you booked a flight? No

Have you booked a place to stay? Have family there

Your typical vacation(daytime sunworship/asleep by midnight/stay out past midnight: - out all day and night

What new precautions you are taking vs. a few years ago? Abstinence

Anything that would change your mind and make you return? Go back to 2006 which was the last good year there when I was there with Need - Also I went last year and the water was so dirty they have to clean up that bay it's gross.