We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who's' Going To Acapulco ?

Peterborough & the...
Level Contributor
480 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Who's' Going To Acapulco ?

Hi

I posted this initially in a reply, but it was meant to be a topic, Many of my friends who like me ahave been going to Acapulco for the past 14 years are sitting this one out, due to the violence and desertion of the Costera especially at night. I love going to Acacpulco, but right now I am 50/50 for this winter. Did anyone read the Rolling Stone article on Acapulco ?

If not Acapulco this winter I will go to the Casa Magna Marriott in Cancun. Please provide any opinions.

Thanks and TOM BRADY is the best quarterback ever !

Mentioned in this post
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Costera
Costera
625 Reviews
Acapulco, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
NJ
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who's' Going To Acapulco ?

Heatison, I'm sitting out this November definitely, but will be somewhere in Mexico for sure, PV or PDC. I may go in January....I'd say I'm 60/40.....60 being sitting it out. One year away won't hurt and friends have advised me to sit it out for now.

Another idea I have is to visit again to Mexico City and then maybe spend the weekend in Aca. I just don't think 2 full weeks there would be a wise choice at the moment. Just about everyone I know is not going back this coming year. One thing is for sure, I think about Aca on a daily basis and in contact with friends living there constantly.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who's' Going To Acapulco ?

Indeed Acapulco is quite hot right now (not only the weather) and it is deserted indeed.

If you do choose to go to Aca You need to be quite careful I recommend staying away from the old Acapulco (north of Las brisas) and moving only around the new Aca (south of Fairmont)

Moving in large groups is also advised.

Sorry about the inconvinience

Mentioned in this post
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who's' Going To Acapulco ?

Those are my sentiments as well and for this February I am giving PV a shot. I have always wanted to go and well quite frankly now is just a good time to give it a go. I will miss Aca for certain but will look forward and positively to 2013.

I did not see the Rolling stone story but would be interested in it. Was it this past issue??

Oh and in regards to Brady no he is not at ALL!!! :))

Edited: 19 September 2011, 22:14
Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who's' Going To Acapulco ?

Sadly, very reclutantly and with a broken heart I too have made the decision not to go to ACA this coming February. I really hope it is only one year and things will have calmed down in 2013.

The good side is I will be returning to Puerto Vallarta where I spent 18 years before I discovered ACA. It will be fun showing Truck and the truckettes around a town I know so well. Rumor has it there might be 7 or more ACA lovers in PV the same time which will give us some nice mini reunions.

Oh and Tom Brady the best quarterback ever...NOT! Sorry

Edited: 20 September 2011, 00:18
Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who's' Going To Acapulco ?

Depending on airfares I may also have to give PV a shot at some point, but for now I just booked a late Nov. week in Aca :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who's' Going To Acapulco ?

Cancun for 2012, Acapulco has to make a BIG cleaning job before I go back..I loved ACA for it's party flavor at night ....I want it back :-)))) before a possible return....Mexico has alot to offer and maybe PV sometime in 2012 during summer...

Robert, Montréal, Quebec,CANADA

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Merced, California
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who's' Going To Acapulco ?

I'm sitting this one out as well for the first time since 94. Unfortunately for me I will be spending three times more money in Spain.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who's' Going To Acapulco ?

Drew, but just think......Spain....You will be in Spain!!! Need I say more? My November trip is looking more and more to be spent in PV. If I don't go to Aca in Jan/Feb, I'll either go back to PV depending upon how much I like it or I'll be in the Cancun......or 3rd option, if business doesn't get better, I'll freeze my bottom here in Jersey :-( I have a strange feeling one way or another I'll be in Mexico on and off all winter.

I asked a girl from and living in Tijuana, when will you come back to Acapulco....Her reply was never for a long time.....It's now too dangerous. I thought that was an eye opener when a Mexican living in a border city is nervous to go to Aca these days. My waiter friend told me probably a good idea to see what happens in the next couple of months. Everyone is hopefull for 2013 to really work out well. I'm sure when things calm for a long period, someone with brains and natural marketing skills in a position of power can get Acapulco on the international destination map once again........The bay, sun, mountain backdrop is all there waiting and the discoteque infrastructure/scenic restaurants are already in place.

Edited: 20 September 2011, 04:05
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Who's' Going To Acapulco ?

Interesting how perspectives are different - coming from the UK we can get 2 week vacations in Spain for 200 bucks along with all the other British trailer trash but always preferred Mexico as more civilized and exotic! I'm hearing good things from Acapulco for the first time for a long time (not least being the sale of a house!!) and I hear last week was pretty packed with many hotels 100% occupied. I am keeping fingers crossed...

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Bedford, Michigan
Level Contributor
475 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Who's' Going To Acapulco ?

Although I have not made any concrete plans as of yet, I regretfully, and with a heavy heart, do not believe I will be going to Acapulco this winter. I can't say for sure yet, but it is certainly looking that way.I feel like I am breaking up with a long time love. 22 yrs is the longest relationship I have had with ANYThing, so this break-up with Acapulco is painful. Its a combination of things, my dog is 14 1/2, continued bad press over such a long time, and just a missing feeling of wanting to be there, that has always been a part of my soul. The funny thing is, I'm not "scared" to go there, but it just seems the allure isn't there right now. I was playing around with PV, or some other locations, not Cancun(not for me), but I feel lost. Not sure where to go. I took 3 summer vacations this year, which I never do, so I should just call it a day and wait on a vacation, but I gotta get my mexico fix and get out of the cold this winter!

Mentioned in this post
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico