We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minding Your "Z's" & "V's" & "Double L's" in ACA ...

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,366 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Minding Your "Z's" & "V's" & "Double L's" in ACA ...

As of late, I've also been trying to do some more reading on "the language of Acapulco" - namely, Espanol! Strictly for "travel purposes" - to make trips to ACA more interesting, fun, and easy.

Fortunately, I have some schooling in French - and Spanish isn't a far cry from there.

Anyway ... just wanted to share some points-of-interest which I've learned (picked up) along the way.

- The letter "Z":

Learned this last year while in ACA - after repeatedly mispronouncing those "Z" words. Actually - a VW cab driver politely pointed it out to me. In Espanol, "Z" is never pronounced as we in the U.S. do. It's spoken as an "S". Mezcal would be MESS-CAL; zocalo would be SO-CA-LO; Zorrito's would be SO-REE-TOS; pozole, PO-SO-LAY; and so forth. That also explains why we sometimes see these same words spelled with an "S" instead of a "Z". (The two letters are often interchanged.)

- "B's" and "V's":

This one I just recently learned. In Spanish, the letter "V" is pronounced as you would a "B". It's that simple. AND - it further explains the mysterious "ceviche" vs. "cebiche" (as someone pointed out on the La Cabana de Caleta retaurant menu). Therefore, "ceviche" would be spoken SAY-BEE-CHAY.

- Those "Double L's":

This one I've known about for years - but, surprisingly, I still hear many North American tourists mispronounce "double L's".

FYI ... Whenever two L's appear together (such as in the word "villa"), they are pronounced as a "Y". For example, Villa Vera would come out ... BEE-YA BAY-RA (though I still say VEE-YA VAY-RA). And - some of you may know of those expensive collectors' pieces created by Lladro? Well - it's not LA-DRO ... it's YA-DRO. (Of course, when it comes to "R's", you would typically "roll" the "R" off your tongue - but I can't explain that one in words.)

Still working (now) on those strange X's and "silent" G's, H's, & J's ...

Iguala = EE-WALA;

Hoy = OY;

El Jaguar = AYL HOG-WAR.

Hope this helps (some) ... and remember, practice makes perfect! (We promised one of our bartenders at Fiesta Inn - Adan - that we'd be better in Spanish "next year" ... when he told us that he's take classes to learn to speak better English. Our communications were okay last month ... he with limited English - us with limited Spanish ... but we understand one another just fine: cerveza (SAYR-BAY-SA), spoken quickly, of course! LOL!

RonVal

Mentioned in this post
Iguala
Iguala
Guerrero, Mexico
El Jaguar
El Jaguar
121 Reviews
Acapulco, Mexico
Romantic Taxco Tour
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Shopping Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Asistur Acapulco
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, City Tours
Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Minding Your "Z's" & "V's" & "Double L's" in ACA ...

On second thought, I believe ...

Iguala = EE-HWALA.

Mentioned in this post
Iguala
Iguala
Guerrero, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Minding Your "Z's" & "V's" & "Double L's" in ACA ...

señor ron para la proxima vez que vienes a acapulco tu vas hablar con zzaa y con todos en español....me entiendes? now no cheating try and figure out what i wrote to you ...ok.....zzaa

Middletown, Oh
Level Contributor
631 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minding Your "Z's" & "V's" & "Double L's" in ACA ...

Here's some I had trouble with from our trip to the Mayan Riviera.

Xel-Ha = Shell-Ha

Xcaret = Ish-Ca-Ret

Uxmal = Oush Mall

The diffuclty in pronouncing these types of words comes from the fact that they are Indian words not Spanish. So you have to know if the word comes from the Spanish laguage or the Indian language.

Jim

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Minding Your "Z's" & "V's" & "Double L's" in ACA ...

Zzaa ...

Yessssss! LOL! Believe it or not, I was able to make out what you wrote. (THEN, I checked it out.) Like French, I have an easier time reading/writing the language ... but more difficulty speaking it - and understanding it when someone speaks to me. That only comes with time. (I think you have to be around people often enough to hear it on a regular basis.)

Good test, though. (It's much more than I knew a year ago!)

¡Esperamos verle el año próximo - en enero!

(Yes - I cheated on that one.)

RonVal

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Minding Your "Z's" & "V's" & "Double L's" in ACA ...

Yes, Jim -

You make a good point with regard to some of the pronunciations. Also applies (I'm quite sure) in the southwest Mexican region as well. In fact, I recall reading recently that - further south toward the Guerrero/Oaxaca border, there are indigenas who, today, neither speak nor understand Spanish. They still maintain/preserve their native language and customs. I forget, offhand, the name(s) of the group(s).

X's, though, I'm still working on. Some are (as you illustrate) pronounced "sh". Others, I think, are pronounced as an "h" (like Mexico ... MAY-HEE-CO). Seems to me there's also a third one, but can't remember right now.

Thanks, amigo (AH-MEE-GO). LOL!

Ron

Mentioned in this post
Guerrero
Guerrero
Pacific Coast, Mexico
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Southern Mexico, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Minding Your "Z's" & "V's" & "Double L's" in ACA ...

OK...how about the town of Taxco???? It is pronounced how????

Mentioned in this post
Taxco
Taxco
Guerrero, Mexico
Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Minding Your "Z's" & "V's" & "Double L's" in ACA ...

Okay, TiredMom -

Excellent question - and, believe it or not - I asked myself the same thing already.

Soooooo ... I had already looked this one up; and, yes, it's another "variation" of that "X" thing, in Espanol.

The correct pronunciation of Taxco is ... TAS-KO ... with the "a" sounding like a short "o" (such as in the word "on") - and accent on the first syllable.

Does that help?

Ron

Mentioned in this post
Taxco
Taxco
Guerrero, Mexico
Middletown, Oh
Level Contributor
631 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Minding Your "Z's" & "V's" & "Double L's" in ACA ...

Ron

I dug up a link that I found sometime ago when I was trying to figure out how to pronounce some Spanish words.

I found it intersting, maybe you will too.

http://tinyurl.com/zwrle

Jim

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Minding Your "Z's" & "V's" & "Double L's" in ACA ...

A good website/forum where Spanish/English translations and pronunciation is discussed can be found at:

http://tinyurl.com/fr74r

It's been helpful to me when I've been stumped. Have a look to see if you can learn anything from it, too.

Level Contributor
1,705 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Minding Your "Z's" & "V's" & "Double L's" in ACA ...

Thanks Ron....when in Cancun the 'x' is pronounced 'sh' Maya variation.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico