We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

acapulco

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
acapulco

Plan to go to Acapulco in January---how is it as far a safety. Can you still walk to Papagayo Park in morning, what about walking home at night after dinner--around 10:00p.m???

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
124 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: acapulco

Daytime walking is no problem what so ever. However, last February we heard there was a shooting right outside McDonalds during the day. Look back at some of the posts talking about violence and judge for yourself. It's not like being in Iraq/Iran but danger is everywhere these days. I guess you will be taking a chance just like all of us going to Acapulco next year. You also didn't mention night time walking from what dinner place to where you are staying. We usually do a lot of nighttime walking along the Costera and never had a problem last February.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
124 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: acapulco

Also, see Travel Alerts, just above the words Acapulco Forum.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: acapulco

Linda gave fair honest advice. Acapulco has seen better days that's for sure. Chances are you won't see a crime or be victimized by one. It's a personal decision to go. I'm up to my second trip cancelled this year.....holding out some hope for something to compel me to go in February. Walking these days probably safer than a taxi since over 40 taxi drivers have been eliminated aka targeted.

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: acapulco

Need, The Taxi drivers will love you taking the food out of their families mouths. Or did I read the message wrong?

Just choose your taxi wisely now days if you feel better about that and make a friend with one for several pickups. They work hard to survive and take home a very modest inclome as there are so many.

As Linda says depends to where you are walking to and from and usually "NOW" .....(but it may change by January as more tourists are around) most people are in from walking by 10. Except on the weekends and Holidays when more people are in town.

Browerville...
Level Contributor
538 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: acapulco

I was in Acapulco all of last February and do not recall a shooting outside any of the McDonalds on the Costera. I also walk from the Condessa area

to the Zocolo and back every morning without any fear.

When visiting Acapulco like any other big city across the world one must use common sense in the neighborhoods one visits.

I will be back in Acapulco again this coming February.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: acapulco

The incident outside of McD's happened in mid-February when I was there. It was a robbery..

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
968 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: acapulco

There was an altercation in the bar upstairs beside the Oxo and MacDonalds in February the SWAT team were on rooftops and on the beach but I do not recall that anyone was shot the police got their man.

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,299 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: acapulco

Hola DJ! Think: Krispy Chicken :)

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: acapulco

DJ, this was separate from the bar incident.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: acapulco

Lightning strikes the Acapulco area about 30 times per square km per year. Statistically making lightning strikes more of a danger, but odds are your not gonna get struck by lightning. Especially if stick to places where/when lightning typically doesn't strike