We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Latest Rumor

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Latest Rumor

All cruise ships are cancelling their schedulded stops in Acapulco because the Mexican army contingent will be departing Aca as of December 1.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Latest Rumor

Is there a link to that info/rumor? All I could find re: the subject was a listing of the cruises who have thus far (publicly anyway) not cancelled their stop in Aca:

cruisecompete.com/vacations/visits/acapulco/1

although there is info out there disclosing that the number of cruise ships making a stop in Aca has been reduced...

Yoho National Park...
Level Contributor
447 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Latest Rumor

Hey

I thought all the major cruise lines had pulled out months ago. You cannot blame them they have a liability for their passengers and most people who get off the cruise ship in port, take a taxi.

Just another thing Acapulco does not need. Just another reason why I am not going next year.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Latest Rumor

heatison, have you heard of a single cruise passenger who has ever had a problem? Me neither.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Latest Rumor

Looks like only 5 scheduled at the moment !! For December that is...

www.apiacapulcoport.com/vessel_program.php

Edited: 29 October 2011, 02:35
Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Latest Rumor

Oh and Lacallie your right I have not heard of a single tour issue with the cruise lines not one!!!

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Latest Rumor

The port is very busy now and the docks and their storage ramps are full of trucks and cars shipping out.

A big productioon of vehicles in Mexico and exports allot of vehicles to So. America and other parts of the world...$$$

It is nice to see the cruise ships in town too and allot of the cruisers on the street, so guess all have not been frighten away.

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Latest Rumor

Thanks Truck for the nice link of the port services....

Nice for me to revise again..

Portdude is still running the place (almost) !!!

Spoke with him several weeks ago too.

Browerville...
Level Contributor
538 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Latest Rumor

I doubt that the army would depart Acapulco as they have been present since the guerilla problems in Guerrero since the 70's. Just another rumor.

Acapulco
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Latest Rumor

Hi to all, busy as crazy here in port. To all the crazy rumors, let me shed some light.

We had a large decrease in cruise ships arrivals due to the percpetion of insecurity, not only in Acapulco, but in many Mexican Ports in the Pacific. Mazatlan has not had a ship in port since March, we had 60 % cancellations since the violence spiked in April and hasn't dropped till recently.

We are currently working with the State Police and Board of Tourism to provide a Security Plan that wil aso include general services from the City, infraestructure deveolpment of the next year, and other information that will provide much needed information for cruise line executives and their planning teams.

We do not epect to see inmediate results, till 3rd quarter of 2012 and first quarter of 2013, and very slowly return to our regular number.

Add the fact the the east coast economy is in the dumps and the ever rising fuel costs, and very low revenue from Pacific Riviera for cruise lines. Carnival announced they would move their ships to higher revnue itineraries. So it's a lot of factors that weighed in their decision to pull out of the Mexican Riviera, security being the main reason.

We are working hard on our plan and hopefully we will present it with the governor to all major cruise lines. The reason Mazatlan went bust, was they had a plan, but, never actually got it to work.

We have a big operation when a cruise ship pulls into port to guarantee passenger safety, 5 security supervisors came to makesure we made good on our plan and thats the reason we still have a few calls and had a complete cruise season with only 4 cancellations

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Latest Rumor

Good to hear from you, Roberto. Sounds like you are really busy patching things together. Good luck. I'm still coming in January. Hope you have time for a cervesa.