We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peso and Security Update

Which Acapulco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yoho National Park...
Level Contributor
436 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Peso and Security Update

Hi

Can anyone currently on the ground in Acapulco provide a current Peso vs. US and Canadian dollar update, what are they buying and selling for ?

Also, does anyone think things have quieted down the past 2 weeks ie violence etc., due to the huge security contingent that was working in Mexico during the Pan Am games and what happens now that the games are over ?

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peso and Security Update

Money exchange paid 13.30 to the US dollar today at 11.30 a.m.

Not sure about Canadian or what is charged to buy US or Canaidan dollars?

Edited: 01 November 2011, 18:56
Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peso and Security Update

Since the Pan Am games were in Guadalahara and one or two in PV, why don't you post on that forum or better yet use Google to get your answers.

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peso and Security Update

Security? It will take a while for it to ever be back to what is used to be for many reasons..

I feel more secure living here and out and about on the streets,There are a lot of Federal Police, soldiers and State Police all over on the streets but there are also behind the scene activities too. A lot of traffic checks.

*** AND they are advancing, catching many types of criminals!!!

Which is being reported in the news statistics (I am looking for some but not sure where to find them with the occasional time I have - I have heard they are on the news - radio and TV but unable to catch the correct moment)

I understand the way a tourist looking to come here for the first time or a returning one who's activites are usually including a lot of night spots.

We also do not go out late evening for various reasons but when it picks up I know we will be more active and as it now we do feel more secure.

(Just my small bit added)

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peso and Security Update

Well, Acasun, Canadian trading at just about par with the U.S. $, today. It swings daily. Right on, Janie.

Yoho National Park...
Level Contributor
436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peso and Security Update

Acasun

Thanks so much for the update. So are you talking like checkpoints, ie I am walking or dirving along the Costera and I am asked what my business is or where I am going and if so, is this more in the day or night ?

Thanks so much

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peso and Security Update

I've been through around 50-60 checkpoints in my time here and I've been waived through every single one. With one exception, two and a half weeks ago I left a birthday party about midnight and ended up the wrong way on a one way ramp by Commercial Mexicana Mega not far from diana circle(the costera vieja intersection by the parking garage). At the top of the ramp I was stopped by a couple guys in tactical gear holding M-16's. I figured at very least they would make me go back and take the correct ramp, but my plea of there not being a sign worked and they let me on my way. There looking for specific people and it isn't you or I. I got 13.5mxn per USD after the fee at the ATM today.

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peso and Security Update

as ACAallday says they know who they are looking for and the types etc... Makes it alot easier though for them when not that many people are out on the street.

One thing is they are stopping the cars that do not have lic. plates also, as they could be stolen and they have found several of the bad guys that way.

One thing is you do not need to mess with them as they are serious and doing their job!

Pesos, yes it varies in Exchanges depending if check, cash or fee for machines-

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peso and Security Update

Heatison it's not something that's going to change on a week by week basis....This will take years....This coming from locals involved in government on the ground and from plain common sense.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peso and Security Update

Things aren't normal if I don't get stopped at least once a week!!!!!!!! Must be the U.S. plates!!!!!!! Oh, and for the peso exchange, use the desktop gadget on your computer, and you can guesstimate ---- if it says 13.70 - figure you'll get about 13.30 on the street....although I have seen the casa de cambios "bet against the street" and offer more than the intra bank rate :o

Edited: 05 November 2011, 04:07
Englewood, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Peso and Security Update

PLAYA DIAMANTE, Acapulco

I just booked a vacation in one of the resort at PLAYA DIAMANTE, Acapulco

my friends are telling me I'm crazy because there is a lot of violence in this area

now I'm confused should I cancel it????