We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vanilla!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Vanilla!

My sister says " You have to bring me back some vanilla! There is no vanilla as good as the vanilla from Mexico!" So now I am asking if any of you folks have some idea of what she is talking about and where is a good location to get it (comprar?) and make my sister happy? LOL

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,585 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vanilla!

Cafe Wadi sells vanilla. Someone else will have to chime in with directions. Personally I like Orlando Vanilla but I do not think you can find it in ACA. I usually buy it in PV. Make sure there is no coumarin (sp?) Listed in the ingredients. Clear vanilla is not pure vanilla. Hope you are enjoying ACA.

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vanilla!

Long black bean pods you can scrape the goodness out of. The big market (not the Artisan's market) would have it. Go early in the day. The afternoon sun heats things up. Well worth a visit.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,071 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vanilla!

Vanilla is one of the most popular commodities people like to bring back from Mexico. I would imagine the Walmart would even stock it. As well as the 12 dollar bottles of Rum :))

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vanilla!

Picked some up at Europa last year.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,585 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vanilla!

You can buy vanilla in Wal Mart or any grocery store but it is usually not the good vanilla Mexico is known for and is available in almost every tourist destination except ACA.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vanilla!

Here is the article that Acajane was mentioning...

abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/story…

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vanilla!

WOW, That could spell trouble!!! D A N G E R O U S

Going to chek my labels...................THANKS JANE AND JUDY°°°

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vanilla!

I only buy my vanilla (ba neeya) from Walmart... $20 pesos for a nice size bottle.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vanilla!

Judy, that was interesting, thanks! Guess it's not a good idea to use the blood-thinning variety in large quantities...

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vanilla!

I bring back pure Vanilla from Acapulco every Year. After running all over one year looking for the pure Vanilla , I found all the shops at the Airport sell it and at reasonable prices .