We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acapulco or Cancun

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Acapulco or Cancun

My Husband and I in our 30s have done much travel around Asia and the beautiful islands in South Thailand. We like to have a bit of luxury with plenty of local culture. By luxury I mean in Asia once you get there you can live like a king because everything is so cheap. WE like to walk around a lot and check out local foods and wares. We are wondering which would be better for us in July - Cancun or Acapulco? Drinking beer and eating great food by the beach is something we like. But not if it's overrun with tourists that make it loose the feel of what the place is supposed to be. If I go to Mexico I want feel like I'm in Mexico

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,509 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acapulco or Cancun

If you want to feel like you are in Mexico, Acapulco wins hands down over Cancun which was built just for tourists.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acapulco or Cancun

Cancun is a purpose built tourist trap.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acapulco or Cancun

Acapulco is the place you want to go, definitely. You will then find you will want to return. Don't forget to go to the Zocolo and shopping where he locals go, not to any mall, ie:Lla Isla, (which you can shopping the US for some of those stores). There are so many great local resturants to go to, from Tacos to Prime Rib. There are enough there, that you will not ave any problems passing up on the US chain resturants. there are many different beaches for you to go to. Ie: Pie de la questa, Bonfil, Porta Marquez, Caletta, Icosos, Condessa, etc. LaCabanna, NoNo, Barbaroja, St. Lucia Playita, Tres Maria's,plus more are great resturants. Enjoy!

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Acapulco or Cancun

Have you check out Playa del Carmen or Tulum ???

Tulum has on the best beaches of Mexico and there's plenty of beach side restaurants and local deliciousness.

Playa del Carmen offers tons of local restaurants plus lots of places to walk to and of course... the beach !

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Acapulco or Cancun

In either place you are going to be amongst tourists - in Cancun it will be mostly Americans, Canadians and Europeans, in Acapulco it will be mostly Mexicans. Do not expect Mexico to be "cheap" - certainly not as cheap as Asia.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Acapulco or Cancun

Cancun is like a Miami Beach South while Acapulco is an authentic Mexican city. Like SteveMex said, even Acapulco's tourists are mostly Mexican.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Acapulco or Cancun

Approximately 80% of Acapulco's tourism over the last 20-25 years has been national. I would guess it closer to 98% over the last 2 years. I can't remember Cancun but Acapulco has a nice variety of some authentic with some modern day creature comforts.

Puerto Escondido is less known destination that is 400 km south of Acapulco and it's a lot less developed. I would recommend the Hotel Swiss Oasis or The Hostel Mayflower, dependent on how you like to stay. Oaxaca City is a quick plane ride and has much more culture than the beach towns.

Weather is another thing you want to take into account that time of year. It's kind of a crap shoot so far as tropical storms and/or hurricanes go. Though I'm pretty sure the East coast get more than the west during July.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Acapulco or Cancun

If you want 'cheap' (and I use the word 'inexpensive) - Cancun is NOT the ticket. You can still get beers for under $2 in Aca. I doubt the same can be said for Cancun.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Acapulco or Cancun

Anyone know where the the best area in Acapulco to stay is. WE like to walk around a lot (if it's safe) and get in amongst it all. love the food and love a beer and tequila. chilling at the beach. like a good bar but don't do night clubs. we love to people watch and take it all in. Would be good to know where the cool areas are.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Acapulco or Cancun

what are the good areas to stay? food, beach, tequila, beer and markets and street food and street life?