We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time do banks close in Acapulco? 3pm?

Which Acapulco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
138 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
What time do banks close in Acapulco? 3pm?

We're planning our 9th visit to Acapulco in February 2013. Now that the hotels no longer exchange US currency, we have to go to the Banco Azteca across the street from the Fiesta Americana. Does anyone know if they close at 3pm or at 5:30pm? I have found conflicting information.

Thanks,

Scott H,

NY, NY USA

Acapulco
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What time do banks close in Acapulco? 3pm?

The bamks here close at 4pm

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
138 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What time do banks close in Acapulco? 3pm?

Thanks so much!

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
6,994 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What time do banks close in Acapulco? 3pm?

I wasn't aware the FA didn't exchange money at the front desk anymore too bad for that as there rate was very good. .

They do have a cash machine where they give out the towels on the lower level if you prefer That convenience and the exchange rate is usually better.

I stay at the FA every Feb as well hope to see you!!

Edited: 03 September 2012, 04:24
Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What time do banks close in Acapulco? 3pm?

Yeah Truck, as I remember they have a Banamex machine. Banamex typically give one of the better rates with lower fees on this side. A stiff fee on the US side can run around $5 depending on what bank you use. One wants you check that ahead of time, but it's kind of a wash. As any exchange in Condesa will be tipped to their favor. I believe your only allowed to remove 5000 at a time from a Banamex machine, but obviously if your bank allows you 10,500 you can do two draws(Ad infinitum) back to back .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
138 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What time do banks close in Acapulco? 3pm?

Fiesta Americana stopped changing money at the front desk in 2011. Only places like the Princess and maybe Las Brisas do currency exchange. We usually use credit cards for dinners. Just carry enough pesos for incidentals at Oxxo, Sanborns and Walmart. Gotta be careful because one year the cops tried to rob us (with machine guns pointed at us) in front of the El Presidente. Luckily we only had a few pesos so they let us go. Still, we love Acapulco and don't worry about the crime and the horror stories in the media. I've been robbed in broad daylight in Italy and Netherlands and NYC, so you have to be careful everywhere. Acapulco is still the best place in Mexico for the gorgeous weather and the great people and the inexpensive rates and overall charm. I never get tired of visiting good old Aca.

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What time do banks close in Acapulco? 3pm?

I am not sure but I believe different banks have different hours and different days open??

will try to do more investigating

Does your US CC charge interest on international purchases?

BTW Capital One does not charge for international charges/exchanges (check it out with them) Plus points too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
138 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What time do banks close in Acapulco? 3pm?

Thanks for the quick response. We usually go to the Banco Azteca across the street from the Fiesta on the Condesa to exchange money. I have used the Banamex ATM and also the Scotiabank ATM down the street and they do charge foreign currency exchange fees, but they are nominal.

We always keep about 600 to 700 pesos to take home with us so we have money for the taxicab fare from the airport to the hotel on the day we arrive in Acapulco, plus for water and soda at Oxxo the first night. Because most flights from the USA or Mexico City arrive mid-afternoon and the banks are closed once we check into the hotel.

We use credit cards that charge little or no foreign currency exchange fees when charging meals.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
773 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What time do banks close in Acapulco? 3pm?

When we fly into Mexico City and before the flight to ACA we change some US money at the airport, last year we got a better rate there than in ACA.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
138 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What time do banks close in Acapulco? 3pm?

Better rate in Mexico City than in Aca? I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What time do banks close in Acapulco? 3pm?

There are plenty of banks in the diamante zone on your way from the airport as well. Plaza diamante across from the princess' has a banamex bank and it would most likely be a convenient stop on the way from the airport, if it were needed.