We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing

Level Contributor
1,505 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing

While I have gone fishing there before it has been 8-9 years. I see Blue Water,Fish R Us etc. has anyone had any recent experiences lately. I would prefer catch and release if possible but not a deal breaker. Thanks

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing

I have never been skunked going after sailfish. Numbers were reported to be down three years ago, then I saw a truck loaded with them heading down the costera to the mercado. Go figure. I stroll the docks (malecon) across from the Zocalo and usually get four or five people offering me a charter. You book a day or so in advance. You pay for the boat, anywhere from $250 to $400 for a day and the boats take up to 8 people. Lots of people at the hotel jump at the chance and it's always a fresh experience. Good fishing.

Acapulco, Guerrero...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing

Yes, most of the charters you mention are still available.

You can rent the entire boat for $250 a day for up to 8 people (not per person).

If you are more interested in just tossing a line and spending time on the water you can get a small boat and captain for less than $100. You can catch a lot of fish close to shore and they are great for catch / release.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing

Several years ago we used Jesus Osorio. He comes highly recommended. Type his name in the search box to read about him. I know there are several links but can't pull them up on my Blackberry.

Acapulco, Guerrero...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing

I would avoid making arrangements online with any boats. You really want to look at them up close before committing.

Many if not most are wood / clinker built hull boats and have not seen dry-dock and repairs for a very long time if ever. I don't know individual owners and can't direct you to anyone specifically but I do know what the boats look like up close (many I would avoid for safety).

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing

Well, if Janie knows the guy.... I'm sure you can inspect the boat before you climb aboard. Most are now fiberglass and there's even the odd ChisCraft, but maintenance is not a priority. Most twin engine boats may have only one engine functional, but nobody's going fast and they are all connected by CB radios. Crude but effective. Always a captain and a kid (deck hand)? to bait the lines. You'll get a chance to see the boats at the malecon before you commit.

Acapulco
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing

Chuy Osorio's boat is fibreglass, in good condition and he's a good fisherman, worth looking into.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing

As stated above search the Malecon for the boat or Captain that appeals to you or in the search field you can type in Osiris or chuy and see if his contact info appears.

I've only gone the 1 time with Hank out at Puerto Marques and that was a great time on what you could call a canoe lol. It did the job though and they do have radio communication.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing

Here is the website for Jesus "Chuy" Osorio

http://www.acavio.com/aventura.html

Level Contributor
1,505 posts