We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phone help ?

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
phone help ?

I have a friend coming for several weeks and he has AT&T phone service and they charge 60 cents a minute to call the U.S.

He is wondering if he can buy a cheap cell in Aca to call home and/or what would you suggest.........any ideas are appreciated!

Any locals have any suggestions? Or any one?

Cheap phones are around $30.00 and not sure what is included or the rates?

thanks.....

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phone help ?

AT&T has.a Viva Mexico plan, if you go on the web site search It, they hide it . It just uses minutes as in the US, you can call all over Mex and the US. If locals call you they are calling the US. Works perfectly. If you need data it gets expensive

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phone help ?

Thanks, will pass the info on !!!

Knew some body had the info!!!

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phone help ?

AT&T has.a Viva Mexico plan, if you go on the web site search It, they hide it . It just uses minutes as in the US, you can call all over Mex and the US. If locals call you they are calling the US. Works perfectly. If you need data it gets expensive

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phone help ?

If he can find someone who has the Telmex plan with internet (I'm assuming he has friends here) --- it includes unlimited calls to the U.S. and inside of Mexico as well. He could just use their phone, unless of course, he needs to be tethered to a phone to survive.

Merced, California
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: phone help ?

The lowest Viva Mexico plan offers 450 international roam minutes at $54 a month. It includes 1k night and weekend minutes. Additional minutes are 45 cents if you go over. The overage rate goes down the higher plan you choose. Viva Mexico is a very popular plan. It also gives unlimited mobile to ATT mobile while you're home.

But not many people know to ask about the add-ons to your existing plan which just rolled out a few months ago.

Here is the breakdown on those:

$30 = 80 minutes with 50 cents per minute if over

$60 = 200 mins

$120 = 500 mins

$240 = 1500 mins

These prices are just for talk time and not data and are for a minimum 30 days. You still have your existing minutes from your current plan.

Advantages: If you are messaging then the Viva plan works best. If you are just using talk time in Mexico and don't want to disturb your existing plan you may consider the add on.

Here's a tip to remember on texting. All incoming texts are free until you answer.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: phone help ?

Messaging is not included. I think it's 50cents incoming and outgoing while in Mexico, or you can get an international texting plan

MIAMI
Level Contributor
784 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: phone help ?

If you are using data/email/messaging; then At&t has an International plan for that as well. You can get phone only for $30 (Intl roaming) and $10 messaging (and can get increments...that's the lowest/fewest calls in the plan). If you want to read the newspaper without wi-fi...then they have a $60 plan for 300 megawhoohies.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: phone help ?

Viva Mexico is the only way to go

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: phone help ?

In the past, I'd always used an add-on plan which would cost $5/month and 59¢/minute (no longer offered); but I think their new plans are less costly. I don't text or email or message or use any kind of data — just talk time (for local as well as back to the States).

I used one of the 'add-on' plans which Andy mentioned >>> the $30 plan for 80 minutes. I think I may have gone over the limit; no big deal. Cost works out to 37½¢/minute — and 50¢/m for overages. Works perfectly, loud and clear, no issues at all. Next trip, though, I'll go with the $60 add-on for 200 minutes (which brings the cost down to 30¢/minute).

These 'add-on' plans are easy to arrange. Just call AT&T's international department. They coordinate the plan to start on the day of your arrival in Mexico. Tell them you want it for 30 days (or longer, if you're staying beyond that) and it'll expire/terminate automatically.

Three basic reminders for those (U.S. travelers) who might be 'first timers' in Acapulco — (1) to call a local (Mexican) landline, just dial the person's seven-digit home-phone #, (2) to call a local (Mexican) cell 'in Acapulco', you have to dial 044-744 and then the seven-digit cell #, and (3) to call the U.S., you have to dial 001, then the full ten-digit # (including state area code prefix). Phoning a U.S. '800' number is also different when calling from Mexico. I forgot the codes right now, but could look them up and post if anyone needs that info. I programmed a few toll-free numbers before I left (trip-insurance office #, AT&T support #, etc.). Lastly ('just in case'), each of us also carries a paper-copy in our wallets of phone-numbers which we don't know by heart (e.g. #s of local friends, drivers, hotel, etc.). If the phone is ever lost or stolen — with all of your numbers stored in the phone — you'd still have a back-up reference. [You could also just email a list of these numbers 'to yourself', and access them on a PC.]

I don't know anything about text or data plans, as we don't feel that we really need that in Acapulco.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: phone help ?

Regarding U.S. 'toll-free' numbers from Mexico —

To call an '800' number, dial 001 and change the '800' to '880'. Example: 1-800-555-5555 would be dialed 001-880-555-5555.

Change other 'toll-free' prefixes, as follows:

An '888' number would be changed to '881'; '866' would be '883'; and '877' would be '882'. Otherwise, you'll not get through.

Keep in mind, too, that dialing U.S. 'toll-free' numbers from Acapulco will incur minutes-usage — and that some may not actually connect from outside the U.S.

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco
Recent Conversations