We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acapulco Reassurance?

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Acapulco Reassurance?

Folks,

I see that there are a lot of long time Acapulco travelers on this forum. My wife and I just booked a week at the Grand Mayan Resort. We are also taking both of our teenage kids. I did some research only after we booked the trip which has me a little worried. Can you seasoned vacationers, please offer some reassurance to calm my anxiety? Anyone else going next winter?

Thanks so much!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acapulco Reassurance?

Why are you anxious? Sharks? High waves? Moustachioed bandidos? Crazy drivers? Hurricanes? Please be more specific. (I will be there for 4 weeks in December/January.)

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acapulco Reassurance?

Haha! Thanks! I have read a lot of bad press about crime etc. I realize most of this is not directed towards tourists. When you see headlines like "fusion.net/justice/story/acapulco-worlds-nic…

And other's it makes me a little nervous, especially for my kids. I'd just like to hear from others who have taken family vacations here and had good experiences. It looks so beautiful!

Edited: 07 July 2014, 18:11
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acapulco Reassurance?

My eldest was born and raised in Acapulco and I still take my family there about every year. A couple of years back things were very bad but things have improved steadily since then. Even in the bad times I can't recall a single instance of violence against a foreign tourist. Yes, crime is still a big problem for residents but for tourists the worst they are likely to encounter is a purse snatch. As you will probably know, Orlando is in the top 10 most crime-ridden cities in the U.S. but people still flock their for vacations - because those crimes are rarely against tourists. If you are in the Mayan you are in the safest part of town - don't wander the downtown after midnight and don't wander off into unknown neighborhoods are you really should be fine.

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acapulco Reassurance?

Thanks SteveMex! Feeling relived! I can't wait to go!

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Acapulco Reassurance?

K Mike

I've been taking my girls for years your family will have a wonderful time at the GA so enjoy. Don't be afraid to venture out into the city when you do go either. You have to experience that beautiful bay view. It is about a 30 minute rode from the GA.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Acapulco Reassurance?

K Mike

I've been taking my girls for years your family will have a wonderful time at the GM so enjoy. Don't be afraid to venture out into the city when you do go either. You have to experience that beautiful bay view. It is about a 30 minute ride from the GM.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 21:31
Chicago
Level Contributor
485 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Acapulco Reassurance?

First visit to Acapulco was in 1978 and I have returned every year since and currently stay for a minimum of two months.

I am a retired police officer and am very aware of conditions which could endanger my myself and I must say that I have no fears for my safety in the City by the Bay. But keep in mind I am 70 years old and do not travel to the nightclubs any more.

Acapulco is like many other large cities in the world and criminal elements thrive in certain areas but I have found the tourist areas in Acapulco to be safe if one does not become the victim of insane drivers.

I have no problem saying enjoy but please be careful on the roadways and do not rent a vehicle.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 22:23
Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Acapulco Reassurance?

Great to know! I really do feel much more at ease! I'd really like to check out the cliff diving etc. What parts of town do you recommend? I'd really like to immerse the kids in Mexican culture. Any suggestions?

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
853 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Acapulco Reassurance?

Hello K Mike, we have been going to Aca annually since 1978. One year I even went by myself with my granddaughter. Any time you are in a big City you must be cautious. We have never had an issue in Aca. I don't carry a purse in Aca, we were in Italy last September and I didn't carry a purse. I never flash money. I only pull out a small amount of money when making purchase in market. You must go to the Zocalo, it is under construction at present but should be good for this winter. The church in the Zocalo is beautiful. I enjoy the food markets, actually walk there daily for our groceries. The artisan markets are enjoyable and there are a few big ones. We spend our winters in Aca so will be there when you are there so do not hesitate to throw us questions while you are there, there is always someone on to help you out. There are so many great restaurants. You must venture into our part of Aca....on the Bay....go to Malibu (a few doors away from our condo) for dinner and catch the sunset on the gorgeous Aca Bay and happy hour of course, great shrimp, octopus and nacho's. The cliff divers is a must. It is nice by day and at night. How old are your children you are bringing?

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Acapulco Reassurance?

I second Acachaparrita's suggestions you can't get a better feel of the local culture then the markets and the Zocalo.

The local water park Cici's is a lot of fun and very inexpensive if you wanted to take the kids there as well.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 12:06
Get answers to your questions about Acapulco