We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Learning Spanish in Acapulco

Which Acapulco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Learning Spanish in Acapulco

I will be in Acapulco in January and looking to learn some spanish.

The only school I can find is http://acapulcospanishschool.mex.tl/ but it is way too far from where we are staying and a little expensive. Would be willing to pay someone to teach me privately.

Anyone have any suggestionsl

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
6,982 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Learning Spanish in Acapulco

Hopefully someone local can help you. I know the 1 or 2 places that were recommended a few years back are no longer around.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
844 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Learning Spanish in Acapulco

How long will you be in Acapulco?

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Learning Spanish in Acapulco

Well, AcaChaparrita, looks like the original poster's not really that keen on accepting help. If I lived in Toronto, I would pop down to Kensington market and learn Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin and conversational Ojibwa. I've spent a week or two each year in Mexico and can understand and speak a lot more than when I started. It's a process, but an enjoyable one.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Learning Spanish in Acapulco

I will be there for one month visiting my wife's family.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Learning Spanish in Acapulco

The wife and family speak Spanish?

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Learning Spanish in Acapulco

What I found interesting and helpful was that many of the cab drivers are teachers (they don't get paid well and don't get full time hours), that were educated in English and would gladly tutor someone. Grab a cab. If the cab driver speaks English, he may teach Spanish or he will definitely know someone who does. Worth a shot.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Learning Spanish in Acapulco

You may want to use a software program to start building your conversation skills now. Once there, a lack of options won't be your problem. Finding someone who has spent time North of the boarder would probably be best. Maybe try one of the english schools(Harmon Hall, Yosi, etc...). Having someone who understands English and can clearly explain some of the cultural that accompanies the language helps a lot. Mañana's direct translation means tomorrow, but to a Mexican it can mean the next time they see you(a week, a month, never).

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Learning Spanish in Acapulco

OMG, I love that !

Tomorrow, anytime in the next 8 weeks! Or never :)

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
6,982 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Learning Spanish in Acapulco

Lol I did too but I did know that already.

Merced, California
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Learning Spanish in Acapulco

There are a lot of great Spanish learning resources on YouTube. Here is a link to one of them I like. If this one doesn't suit you it will also provide access to other channels as well.

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco