We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whale watching

Mexico
3 posts
Save Topic
whale watching

Can anyone give me any information about whale watching in Huatulco, Mexico? When, where, and how to see them.

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Rau
Cambridge,Ontario
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: whale watching

I think winter is the time to see them, I seen a few last January

Okanagan Valley...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whale watching

Winter is the best time to see humpback whales. We have seen them while on Excursions with Hurricane Divers from November until April. Sometimes we have been lucky enough to see them from the beach - but you really have to be paying attention.

We have also seen Orcas while on the water - apparentley that is quite rare in Huatulco though, only once every 10 years or so (depending on the water temps).

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whale watching

We saw a momma with her calf in January while out with Hurricane on their snorkel/diving tour with lunch. Our captain was always willing to stop when he or someone else on the boat spotted seaturtle, etc. Maybe Roberto will chime in as to the month(s) most likely to see one, but even then I think alot depends on luck.

Huatulco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Huatulco
Level Contributor
992 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whale watching

Just chiming in :-)

The big migration South is usually around the end of December and they go back North usually in March. Around those months there is always a chance to see whales, but there is no certain time you are guaranteed to see them....

Roberto

Hurricane Divers

Mexico
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: whale watching

thanks for the information, our timing is all off. We will be living in the state of Chiapas from now until the end of Nov.

Mentioned in this post
Chiapas
Chiapas
Southern Mexico, Mexico
6. Re: whale watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 20:20