We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Mexicana through Mexico City

Okanagan Valley...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Mexicana through Mexico City

For everyone who is curious about what happens flying from Canada (Alberta) through Mexico City - we did it yesterday without any problems, trouble or changes.

Our luggage was tagged straight through to HUX, we did not pick it up or clear Customs in Mexico City. When you arrive in MEX you'll be in terminal one, you'll go downstairs to Immigration - get into the 'Foreigners' line - and have your passport and tourist card ready.

When you leave Immigration, instead of going to the baggage carousels you'll take an escalator back up to the second level - watch for the sign that says Connections - Passengers in Transit. It's a long hallway and moving sidewalk to the next check point, show your boarding passes and then through another Immigration and security checkpoint. You'll need to show your stamped tourist card and have your carry on items scanned.

Once that's done you are in the domestic terminal and you wait around for your gate to be called - usually no more than 40 minutes prior to your flight. Yesterday they called our gate - and then changed it to the opposite end of the terminal. It was an easy fast walk back to the right gate. We even left on time and landed on time in HUX - something that is not that typical :)

When you land in HUX go to the International gate at the airport, there are only two, it's the furthest one away. Most people will go to the domestic gate but you will have to clear Customs with your luggage. Last night there were only 4 of us waiting for luggage in the International gate - everyone else was domestic.

I hope that helps - if anyone has questions let me know...

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Mexicana through Mexico City

Thanks, KT, your description is exactly what happened with us in mid-November (except for the gate change).

However, we would like to provide some words of caution: if the connection between flights in MEX is greater than about 4 hours, passengers may need to pick-up their bags in MEX and go through customs there. We suggest that folks ask the agents at their point(s) of origin as well as in MEX in order to avoid any problems.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa

Bahia Chahie

Huatulco

Edited: 28 November 2009, 15:28
victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Mexicana through Mexico City

Thanks so much for the detailed information.... I'm sure Itchy, Speed0 and myself will find this invaluable.

Suze

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Mexicana through Mexico City

Someone told me that the procedure has changed if layover is more than TWO hours - not four! KT - how long was yours?

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Mexicana through Mexico City

Steve,

If it helps, our lay over was a few minutes more than 4 hours; still, our bags went right through to HUX where we went through customs. At all times the carrier was Mexicana or its partner, "Click".

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa

Bahia Chahue

Huatulco

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Mexicana through Mexico City

Thank you, thank you, thank you....I am printing this for sure!!

I am so thrilled that you took the time to print this information.

Itchy

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Mexicana through Mexico City

Thank you, KT and Matt , this is the info we were looking for!!!! Sounds straight forward!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying Mexicana through Mexico City

Yes, thanks for all the input. I know Aeromexico are asking people to re-check bags in Mexico City so maybe it's an airline thing (since it's not happening with Mexicana) or even a terminal rule (you do with T2 but not with T1). Who knows? In any case best to make sure when you check-in I think.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying Mexicana through Mexico City

Correct, Steve.

To be sure, we recommend that folks ask the agents at the flight ORIGIN as they check-in their bags, and then AGAIN when they get off the plane at MEX.

Also, once they land in HUX, folks should stroll over to the International terminal (about 50 yards away) to pick-up the bags.

Hope this helps.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa

Bahia Chahue

Huatulco

Edited: 28 November 2009, 18:21
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying Mexicana through Mexico City

We found it somewhat confusing on the long walk to "Domestic" and once in "Domestic" it was crowded and chaotic. Like being in a huge gymnasium with a food court. Glad we didn't have to lug checked through baggage.The connecting gate was not announced on the reader board until just before the flight. At issue was the inbound flight was late so it was not without a little stress watching the clock and watching the reader board. The queue at the airline counter restricted asking questions so it felt a little helpless. Then the flight appeared on the reader board announcing the flight to board immediately. Off went 70-80 folks to one gate only to be told they just changed the gate to the opposite end of "Domestic". Whew...but the aircraft for the HUX leg was fabulous and the views great. Once at HUX it was a quick 100 paces beyond the official taxi stand to get a 1/2 price local taxi. Returning via MEX was straight forward. HUX has shops and a restaurant outside. Once inside the air condition terminal there is noting but one waiting room with a limited drink and chip cart. There is wi-fi and cell service. Stall as long as you can before passing security because its better outside than inside. The Mex Duty Free is pricier than the local shops for basic brands. Upon landing at "Domestic" simply make the trek to "International" and find a restaurant/bar and enjoy a meal or whatever while waiting for your connection. Returning is much more straight forward but be prepared for long walks through the terminal.

Okanagan Valley...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying Mexicana through Mexico City

Steve - our layover was 3 hours all in Terminal 1.

We just talked to some friends who flew from Chicago on Northwest, into Terminal 2, they had just under two hours for a connect. They did not have to pick up their luggage, it was tagged all the way through to HUX. They said that if they had to pick up luggage to re-check at Terminal 1, they never would have made the connection - it was a tight one at two hours.

Alegre - your description of a gymnasium with a food court is great. We did think though, that the terminal was pretty quiet, especially for a Friday afternoon. It was quiet in August too - but I guess we are used to flying just after Christmas so maybe it just is not as busy at this time of year.