We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huatulco/Ixtapa

Rau
Cambridge,Ontario
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Huatulco/Ixtapa

Hi we've been to Huatulco 3 times and totally love it, However this year my wife thought maybe try Ixtapa.. I'm still wanting Huatulco what will I miss most if going to Ixtapa instead.. :(

Thx

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Guelph
Level Contributor
186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Huatulco/Ixtapa

We also went to Huatulco last year and loved it. We would also like to know about Ixtapa, weather reliability, which resorts are comperable to Dreams/Barcelo?

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Rau
Cambridge,Ontario
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Huatulco/Ixtapa

The weather will be about the same ,I'm just wondering about the overall feel ..?

Okanagan Valley...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Huatulco/Ixtapa

Ixtapa is a bit more commercialized than Huatulco - you'll find Subway and Senor Frogs in the commercial zones. Zihuatanejo has that more laid back Huatulco feel to it, still a Mexican town vs tourist destination. And in my opnion Playa Ropa is a nicer beach. There are several smaller hotels along Playa Ropa that offer nice accomodation and it's still easy to get around and go to Ixtapa, etc.

Maggie knows more about the similarities and differences, she'll probably add more info....either way, can you go wrong with a holiday somewhere along the southern Pacific stretch of Mexico? I don't think so....

Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Zihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo
Guerrero, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Monroe, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
500 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Huatulco/Ixtapa

Rau, Been to Ixtapa once, Huatulco 20+ times. IMO I would not go back to Ixtapa. Check out the forum for Ixtapa and see if it sounds like it's for you!!

After sixteen inches of snow yesterday, I am counting the days until I return to Paradise!!!

Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,918 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Huatulco/Ixtapa

KT pretty much nailed it.

We do like both Zihua and Huatulco, for different reasons.

Weather- both great, reliably sunny and hot all winter, Huatulco is a bit hotter on average.

Beaches/snorkeling/diving- all better around Huatulco. But Zihua has VERY good fishing.

Restaurant selection/nightlife- better in Ixtapa/Zihuantanejo, simply because it is a much more populous and larger area.

Safety- it is safer around Huatulco. Guerrero is on the list of states with a lot of drug cartel activity. My husband was just in Zihua in November though and as a tourist you are still very safe. But he did see some things.

Huatulco is our favourite, it is quieter, more of a laid back and relaxed beach holiday destination.

Ixtapa is basically a much larger and busier Tangolunda Bay with a strip of high rise hotels- but it is a beautiful wide golden sand beach with crashing surf (not really swimmable unless you are a very strong swimmer). There are also houses and condos in Ixtapa, population is about 7,000.

We do love Zihuatanejo, the bay is very scenic and there are some lovely cheap boutique hotels with amazing bay views- we will stay there next time and not Ixtapa, which is a Fonatur designed resort area like Huatulco, manicured and a bit contrived.

Zihua is a real Mexican city, of about 100,000 people, yet still retains it's small fishing town feel. There is lots to see and do there- and there are some nice beaches, like Las Gatas and La Ropa in the bay and Isla Ixtapa. Some nice day trips in the area, to surf beach Troncones or to Barra de Potosi. There are some great bars there.

So it just depends what you want!

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Tangolunda
Tangolunda
455 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Rau
Cambridge,Ontario
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Huatulco/Ixtapa

Great Feedback guys Thx.. I was already sold on Huatulco again,Doubt it will take much to push her that way again.. About a month to go..

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
toronto
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Huatulco/Ixtapa

cant say much more about ixt/z than what has already been said. other than - if you do go to ixtapa, dont stay at the resortsin ixtapa proper....you will miss one of the most beautiful hidden gems.....especially if you enjoy the feel of hutaulco, you would love troncones, its about 45 minutes away. small b and b's, guest houses, spas and un real beaches, all around there. beautiful high end cabana style micro resorts with 5 star chefs as well. loved it, been back a few times - although we are going back to huatulco this year..lol...good luck have fun

8. Re: Huatulco/Ixtapa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2010, 05:19