We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sleeping in airport

gymballnut
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
sleeping in airport

Has anyone had to sleep in the Edmonton International Airport?

We are going to Huatulco on April 1st. leaving Edmonton at 6:00am, we live in Saskatoon. We don't know if we should drive to Edmonton after work on March 31st. and try to get some sleep at the airport, since we have to check in at 3:00 am, then we can all get some more sleep on the plane. Or should we arrive in Edmonton earlier in the day check into a hotel get some sleep there then go to the airport.

Please any advise would help, we would be paying for two hotel rooms.

Denver, CO USA
Level Contributor
407 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sleeping in airport

I'd pay for the hotel rooms. We have never tried that in Edmonton but did in Philidelphia. All I can tell you is it was MISERABLE!!! Cold, cold, cold and the middle of the night is when they do all the heavy cleaning. We got no sleep or peaceful rest at all. It was only 8 hours between flights so I didn't see the sense in getting a room. And sleeping on the plane was nearly impossible as well. Never again.

Once we arrived at our destination we were so exhausted that we basically lost a whole day of vacation.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
453 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sleeping in airport

Unless you are able to sleep on the floor or sitting upright in uncomfortable plastic chairs, sleeping at the airport could be a tough go. I don't think you will find any floors even carpeted until you've gone thru security and are in the departures area. Might be able to spread out across some bench seating there. I haven't been to the airport for almost a year (last years trip to Huatulco) so there may be some improvements/options that I'm not aware of. Certainly couldn't find anything on the airport website.

You might consider hotels in Nisku, that's basically a business park across the highway from the airport. Most would offer a shuttle service to the airport and you may even be able to get a better rate on parking there than the other airport options. Don't know much about those hotels myself, just do a google for "Nisku Alberta Hotels".

Those 6am departures are a killer. I can never really sleep beforehand because I'm afraid I will sleep-in and miss my flight so I end up just kind of laying there watching the clock. Even though I'm not a great flyer I end up doing the head bob in a semi-conscious state during the flight.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sleeping in airport

We did it in Calgary and Winnipeg for the same reason as you. Not again, get a room.

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sleeping in airport

We live in Victoria and usually fly out Vancouver and have always got a hotel room before those 6am flights. We find that staying at the Delta with their park and fly package, it ends up costing about $45 for the hotel portion, after looking at what it would cost to park the car at the airport for 2 weeks.

Edited: 15 December 2009, 03:02
victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sleeping in airport

We departed last year from Edmonton to Huatulco, same departure time, We stayed at a hotel in Leduc, airport transfer was included. Either way your not getting much sleep, I did enjoy the pool and work out room though... came in handy after scarfing back a huge Ukrainian "blue plate special" at the local truck stop diner.

Okanagan Valley...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sleeping in airport

We've spent the night in LAX and MEX - not as much fun as you'd think.

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
496 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sleeping in airport

I would think you would be crazy to try and catch some sleep at the Edmonton International airport. The previous posts are correct, there is simply no quiet place, let alone comfortable. If you are leaving at 6am, be there at 4am. Most motels across the highway will give you a shuttle and it is only 5 minutes away. Get a room at the Western Budget, nice and quiet, each room has a fireplace, take a gravol and get to sleep early. The Western Budget has three motels in the hotel zone. They offer $59/night for some rooms. Shower before going to sleep so you just have to dash on your clothes and out the door you go.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sleeping in airport

That is a tough one. We're from Edmonton, but we met friends to fly out of Calgary to Huatulco about the same time as you. We did the hotel thing, and shared a room with the other couple. I can confirm we all snore, as I know I do, and at one point I distinctly heard three others snoring. At very best I got 60 minutes of sleep. You have to get up about 2:00 AM to get to the airport. Assuming you leave Saskatoon at 5:00, you are not going to get to Edmonton until 11:00 or so. I suspect you also will get close to zero sleep at the hotel.

The upside is that the hotel gave us free parking, and the shuttle to the airport. The down side is that we still got close to zero sleep. If you go that route I agree with others and check the hotels in Nisku, and what the deal is with parking and a shuttle. Edmonton is too far away.

If you have two drivers, I would suggest just driving to Edmonton to get here at 2:00 AM or so, and not count on any sleep other than what you get in the car on the way. The other kicker is that while they tell you to be there 3 hours ahead, they may not even check you in for an hour after that. There is almost no place to even sit until you get past security to the boarding area.

Like I say, that is a tough one. No good solution.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sleeping in airport

Tought about this one some more. I think I would take some time off work to arrive at the hotel in Nisku no later than 8:00 PM, and then try to get some sleep.

gymballnut
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: sleeping in airport

Thanks I think we are going to go to Edmonton a day earlier and try to get some sleep.