We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days what to do

Mobile AL
Level Contributor
312 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
7 days what to do

My husband and I and possibly our 18 year old daughter will be flying into Oaxaca in early June. We only have 1 week. I can't decide if we should try to stay a few days in Huatulco or spend the entire time in Oaxaca. We have never been to this part of Mexico. We would have to come by bus, because of the cost of flying. We were in Playa del Carmen last summer and loved it and the areas to the south. We had planned to return there if Wilma had not hit for more ruins, snorkling and touring the Sian Kan (hope I spelled correct). We are not into the bar scene. We enjoy arts, crafts, ruins, snorkling, eating and sightseeing. Any advice would be welcomed about what we could do in Huatulco and how many days we should stay.

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Huatulco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Huatulco
Level Contributor
992 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days what to do

Hi speteachmr,

Here´s waht I wrote in another posting to someone who wanted info on a tour to Oaxaca City from Huatulco:

"It´s a heck of a trip by land, minimum 6 hours driving each way, so you would overnight at least once. Even then you have precious little time to see everything Oaxaca has to offer. I would personally do it as a seperate holiday or do a week Oaxaca and a week Huatulco (if that´s possible for you of course)."

I really think you can easily spend a week in both places. Huatulco is good for snorkling, eating and sightseeing and Oaxaca is good for arts, crafts, ruins, eating and sightseeing.

If you´re in Huatulco don´t miss the tour of the bays. You can do that in various ways, we combine the tour with snorkeling and/or diving and a picnic lunch on a secluded beach. Check out our website or send me an email for more info.

Hope this helps,

Roberto

Owner of Hurricane Divers

www.hurricanedivers.com

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Mobile AL
Level Contributor
312 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days what to do

Thanks Roberto for the information. We may have to see one place or the other. We live in the area hit by hurricane Katrina, so our vacation time has been shortened from storm related issues.

Huatulco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Huatulco
Level Contributor
992 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days what to do

I´m sorry to hear that.

I wish you a very good time, which ever destination you decide to visit first!

Roberto

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days what to do

Hi speteach, I just returned from Huatulco on 10/31 and stayed at the Barcelo all inclusive. I guess the question is whether you want beach or inland. If you want, check out my review of the Barcelo resort and Huatulco that was posted on 11/2 under Barcelo Resort. Besides the 7 bay tours, there are tours that take you ATVing, water-rafting, to the coffee plantation and to the turtle sanctuary. On the beach, you can generally find vendors who offer rental of their boat, jet skies/wave runners, hobie craft for sailing, and kayaks. There's also vendors that offer parasailing and waterskiing. And of course, Hurricane Divers offer both scuba and snorkeling tours. Shopping and eating--Santa Cruz or La Crucesita are fab. I was there 4 days--not enough! Bon Voyage.

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Barcelo Huatulco
Barcelo Huatulco
4,244 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Hurricane Divers
Hurricane Divers
121 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Chicago
Level Contributor
178 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days what to do

My wife and I have been to many resort areas in Mexico. Huatulco is our favorite. It is still relatively undiscovered. We stayed at a villa/B & B type of place. Very peaceful & quiet.

Things to do:

1. The trip to the coffee plantation is great. The highlight for us was the hike to and swimming in the waterfalls. You swing from a rope like Tarzan and jump in. It feels like you are in the middle of the jungle.

2. For snorkeling you can take a cab to La Entrega or El Maguey. Both places are beaches that have reefs close to shore. There are several restaurants, rental equipment, activities and chairs available.

3. If you want to see nature, check out a day trip to Ventanilla. This is a backwater estuary that is loaded with crocodiles, iguanas and interesting bird life. On the way back you may want to check out the turtle museum.

4. We also liked sailing and snorkeling on the Luna Azul.

There are some nice beach front restaurants in Santa Cruz and La Crucecita is a great little town.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
La Entrega
La Entrega
370 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Crucecita