We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian dollars or USD??

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian dollars or USD??

Off to Las B in 3 weeks, WOOOO HOOOO....

Just a quick question for all of you who frequent this fantastic site..., We have allways taken USD when we travel, but have been told CDN money is accepted in Huatulco(to exchange) is this true?? Or should I stick with the USD?

Thanks

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,078 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian dollars or USD??

Pull Pesos from an ATM in Mexico..Your best bet.

Pickering, Ontario
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian dollars or USD??

We only take Pesos as that is the currency of the country you are visiting.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
640 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian dollars or USD??

CDN dollars are not widely accepted and hard to exchange ,why would you change from CDN to US just change fron CDN to pesos it makes it much easier for the people who recieve your money rather than having to go to the bank and convert it .

Huatulco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Huatulco
Level Contributor
942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian dollars or USD??

See also Top Questions on the top of this page, right hand side.

Roberto

Hurricane Divers

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
349 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian dollars or USD??

We just returned from a 9 day trip to Huatulco.

We took 1000 pesos with us (picked up at a local exchange in Calgary - they give an OK exchange rate) so that we would have taxi money when we arrived.

I also had $100 Canadian with me which I did exchange a bit of at the hotel front desk (not a great exchange rate, but on such small amounts I didn't care).

As everyone else has said, the best is to just take money out of the ATM's when you arrive. Great exchange rate and local currency. CIBC charged us $5 per withdrawal - so I just did 2 big withdrawals when we were there rather than taking out 500 pesos at a time.

Have a great trip!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian dollars or USD??

Has anyone withdrawn pesos from an ATM in Huatulco using a Royal Bank card? Just wondering A) if they can be used down there, and B) what they charge for fees on those transactions.

Thanks!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian dollars or USD??

The transaction fees vary, but are minimal! We have an RBC debit card and have used it many times, never had any problems!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadian dollars or USD??

The original poster has learned there is no point in losing on exchange twice by having USD in the middle. The local ATM (there's one at the airport) is the best rate but if you want to arrive with Pesos they can easily get them in the Vancouver area for better than the bank rate. Ask for Pesos in small denominations and, if they want, have them couriered to their home (anywhere in BC) by http://www.vbce.ca/

The Royal Bank card question is: sure why not? Any major bank card works but some require international activation from your branch. They charge a flat fee ($4-7) for each use so you reduce the percentage as you increase the withdrawal.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadian dollars or USD??

Thanks everyone for your help, off to the exchange to get some pesos and I will use my ATM card when there, I know it was a odd question but was getting conflicting info from other "travelers"

Thanks again

See you on the beach...

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
493 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadian dollars or USD??

On Feb 15/10 we used the ATM located on the lower level behind the elevators at Dreams. Wierd location, you have to ask where it is since it is not advertised. We withdrew $2,000 peso and it attracted a $3 fee. Our Canadian dollar chequing account with the Canadian Western Bank converted the transaction to $169.20.

Don't take US or CDN dollars to Mexico. Tip and buy with Peso. The retailers like to quote US dollars but I find you can get a better price with Peso.