We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Bug Spray Necessary?

canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Is Bug Spray Necessary?

We'll be staying at Dreams in March/April and are wondering if we need to pack bug spray?

Michigan
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Bug Spray Necessary?

Just got back 3 weeks ago. Our group of 30 all brought bug spray, and nobody needed to use it. I guess it doesn't hurt to bring it though.

sask. ca
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Bug Spray Necessary?

To answer your question, it really depends if you react to the bites. Our party of 4 all had bites, They bothered me the most. We returned on Feb. 6th and I am still scratching. Not sure what was biting, maybe sand fleas, you do not feel them biting.

Maddening thing is I had "off" with me, didnt know which to apply first - bug spray or sunscreen! lol

Oh, and i found that if you scratch they get really bad, but if you leave them alone they dont itch as bad.

All in all, not a hard decision - a few bug bites vs. snow and cold.

Hopefully you will not be bothered, Have a good time.

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Bug Spray Necessary?

There are virtually no mosquitoes here in Huatulco

But we do have Noseeems (some call them sand fleas)

As in the other post some react violenty to their bites while most never notice

It will not hurt to bring down some deep woods Off especially if you are going to the beach

My wifes applies immediatly before breakfast and more during the day

If she forgets and gets bitten she will swell up horrible and her only relief is ice

Villa Sol y Mar

(House of the Sun & Sea)

canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Bug Spray Necessary?

Thanks. Sounds like we should bring some just in case.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
302 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Bug Spray Necessary?

My husband really attracts mosquitos. He found that the local brand, "Atuan", works much better than even the Deep Woods Off that he brought. Atuan is available at any farmacia in town and probably even at your hotel, although will be more expensive there. You are not going in the wet season, so bugs shouldn't be too bad.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Bug Spray Necessary?

We're staying at the Castillo Huatulco right now and are both covered in bites. There are definitely mosquitoes, I've killed a few. It's not Northern Ontario in July, but after a week of getting bitten, I finally started putting on bug dope and things are a little better.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Bug Spray Necessary?

Hola.

Depending upon a number of factors and conditions there are greater or lesser chances of coming into contact with mosquitoes, "noseeums", etc. and getting bites, including but not limited to:

The wind and its strength and direction

Proximity to the beach versus mountains

Rainy season versus dry season

How “attractive” an individual may be (LOL, that is to the mosquitoes!)

That said, bring your favorite repellant. We like Cutters with 30% deet. At the Casa Hoffa, for our guests who need it, we provide mosquito netting in the bedrooms.

Hope this helps,

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa

Bahia Chahue

Huatulco

8. Re: Is Bug Spray Necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2010, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco