We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean at Dreams

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean at Dreams

We're taking our 3 1/2 year old with us to Dreams on March 19th.

Can anyone tell me if the ocean is safe for him to play? I've heard from a few people that the sand is rough and the undertow is

strong (with a lot of red flag days).

I'm also starting to get a bit concerned with the high temperatures during the day. Is there a lot of shade by the pool and the ocean? Are there juices readily available for the little ones?

Thanks ;)

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean at Dreams

The sand on the beach at dreams is a little course

But I know that my boys and my grandson would of never noticed

I am sure that your 3 1/2 year old will have a fun time

The waves can have a strong undertow for most young ones but not always

plenty of shade by the pool

You should have a great vacation

Villa Sol y Mar

(House of the Sun & Sea)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
453 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean at Dreams

Once your in the ocean the bottom does drop of rather quickly but probably past the point where the water would be over the head of a 3 1/2 yr old anyway.

I found that shade can be tough to find at the infinity pools near the ocean but shouldn't have a problem finding shade at the side & kiddy pools.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean at Dreams

Hola.

The sun can be very strong and it is best to slather on SPF 30 and keep re-applying it every couple of hours, epecially after bathing in the ocean or pool. Wear a hat!

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa

Bahia Chahue

Huatulco

Mentioned in this post
Chahue
Chahue
191 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Manitoba
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean at Dreams

I would bring your little one a lifejacket, there are some there, but I don't know if they come that small. Mine are 4 and 6, and if we bring them next time, they will both wear them in the ocean.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean at Dreams

You will need to be with your child if he is in the ocean - even if the waves are coming in gently, they can have quite a bit of "pull" when receding back into the ocean. The lifejacket comment is a good one for peace of mind. It is different from other places such as Cuba where your kids can sit in the ocean and play and you don't need to hover beside them. Our kids found the sand great to play in, I don't think coarseness is an issue. There are also lots of great shells that get washed up on shore so shell collecting is fun too.

Regarding the pools, the kids pool and the one by the asian restaurant are the quietest and usually easiest to get shade. A waitress comes by very frequently taking drink orders so it is no problem to keep hydrated.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean at Dreams

Winnipeg girl.

The life jacket idea is the best advice, please take it.

I am a physically fit adult women whom was minding her own business walking in ankle deep water in front of dreams with my husband after snorkeling and out of know where came 3 very strong waves that pulled me in and under the water 2 of those 3 waves! I knew I was in no danger but it did knock me off my feet and when I tried to get up it dragged me back in and under again....3 times until the ocean finally spit me out. Actually it was quite funny and a sight for some I'm sure... but it just goes to show how fast stuff can happen. Guard your babies!

7. Re: Ocean at Dreams

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2010, 07:18