We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is responsible tourism possible in Huatulco? mexican run...

Montreal
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Is responsible tourism possible in Huatulco? mexican run...

Now that most the all-inclusives are sold out and the charter flight only prices are cheaper...our original plans are starting to take shape...

what small hotels, bed n' breakfasts MEXICAN-OWNED, do you recommend?

we hope we have access to the beaches though....

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,603 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is responsible tourism possible in Huatulco? mexican run...

Hi!

Good for you for not going AI! We really regret not doing that, if and when we ever go to Huatulco again we are going to stay either at Mision de los Arcos in La Crucecita or one we saw called Villa Flamboyant.

Mision de los Arcos hotel website (this is a GORGEOUS hotel and the prices are great- get a garden room! and check Trip Advisor for reviews.):

www.misiondelosarcos.com/english/index.htm

Sorry I am not sure about ownership and we never saw any that we found to be for certain Mexican-owned-but at least you are eating at locally owned restaurants and supporting the locals more by staying non-AI!

There is also a hotel called the Canadian that looked nice in Santa Cruz- doubt it is Mexican owned though.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is responsible tourism possible in Huatulco? mexican run...

Definitely go with Mision de los Arcos. Lovely hotel...the owners are Mexican and American. While not on the beach they provide free passes to a beach club which is owned by the Hotel Castillo Huatulco. Only a 5 minute cab ride for $2USD. I recommend this hotel because the great thing about Huatulco is there are so many different beaches and if you like to get out and visit them chances are you would not be at your hotel on the beach very much of the time. And the prices at this hotel are great.

Have a great trip.

Montreal
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is responsible tourism possible in Huatulco? mexican run...

Hi,

Mision de los arcos is booked the week of our vacation. I must be cursed.....

We did find a great Mexican site promoting Mexican smaller hotels.

I think your talking about Marina....santa cruz...didn't know it was cdn.

These hotels aren't listed/reviewed up here.

FOR THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN RESPONSIBLE TOURISM....

www.travelbymexico.com if I remember correctly.This site is good for all of Mexico.

You know we originally wanted to do this in Puerto Escondido but when we foudn out the astromical price of the flight alone 1,700$ cdn we bailed and decided allinclusive was cheaper in huatulco except my friends waited too long in hopes lastminute deals and the prices skyrocketed.

Back to plan A except accessible HUATULCO -IT'S STILL IN OAXACA....

I saw Flamboyant, it looks good..just worried if hotels are in Crucecita -it might be noisy...some either pools or a/c.They all need cab rides to beaches, some have shuttle buses....best of all,they all seem free that week and cost less.

Best Western Chahue, wouldn't be responisble would it? : )

Thanks for encouraging us - we're kinda apprenhensive since it's our first tIME to HUATULCO...you know, if it were Europe or the US, we would automatically get a noninclusive with a continental breakfast plan and indigeneous hotel so why this allinclusive mindset for the tropics?

Well, Cuba is all indigienous owned since no matter the fake european ownership, the gov't own 50%.I suppose it's semi-responsible - helping individual cuban economical plight in a small way.

Mercerville, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is responsible tourism possible in Huatulco? mexican run...

Don't fret about the all-inclusive thing. If you really want to enjoy your stay in Huatulco, you won't be spending much time in your hotel or eating there either.

We stayed in Crucecita at the Mision de Los Arcos and found it very nice. We will be there again when we next return. We roamed around the Flamboyan and talked to some Germans who were staying there, and they had nothing bad to say about it, so I might give it a shot. The location is great, right on the Zocalo, and the prices can't be beat. Don't feel bad about missing the all-inclusives. You'll save money, have more adventure and more fun by avoiding the Santa Cruz hotels altogether.

Montreal
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is responsible tourism possible in Huatulco? mexican run...

Saffron, why don't you book the Crown Pacific AI ? Look at the latest reviews. This hotel seems really good for the cost. For the price you pay (about $900 CDN for January departures), you will still be able to eat/drink outside of the resort and do some tours. Signature has a very good deal for this hotel right now departing from Montreal. Just the flight is about $600, so $300 for lodging/eating/drinking is very cheap for a week. Johanne

Montreal
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is responsible tourism possible in Huatulco? mexican run...

Hi Johanne, we already booked...my friends wanted to avoid hotels...even almost all inclusives..i know - went to canadiantravel and selloff sites and saw they were the only hotel left and cheaper deal...

Montreal
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is responsible tourism possible in Huatulco? mexican run...

It wasn't a question of money but of philosophy...We're paying 600 for flight plus 290 for hotel stay...then, we can try all the restaurants we want.Move to different beaches, we rather spend money on excursions... Now we can afford going to see real Oaxaca/Monte Alban by plane which is expensive but very important for me to see a real town/city/culture....We all know that fonatur created Huatulco like they did Cancun/Playa del Carmen and la Crucecita displaced the real Huatulco - Santa Maria Huatulco.

I mean by responsible tourism, we wanted to avoid all inclusive hotels since we've been before in a tourist trap- we've been to other undeveloped countries and tried alternative tour operators like G.A.P....

We just want help local economy - real Mexicans...Why do big chain employees resent their jobs? etc uncaring tourists is part of this machinary called mass tourism.

Maybe you have seen that Protegez-Vous Magazine - annual Consumer guide about better consumer choices -i can't recall the title- which explains how mass tourism is harmful to the ecology even eco-resorts...

Still, we're going to mass tourism place...we could have gone to Puerto Angel or Zipolite...plus, there's a system of Yu yu housing in oaxaca state where you stay with families.

I guess that's the most responsible tourism.

HERE'S AN ALTERNATIVE - ALBEIT NON-COAST...

Staying in local communities around Oaxaca: Tourist Yú'ù

In 1994 SEDETUR and the Secretaria de Turismo opened the first batch of Tourist Yú'ù – Zapotec for "house" – small self-contained houses scattered through the villages of the Oaxaca valleys. These help to bring income to the local villages while minimizing the disruptive effects of mass tourism. Visitors are shown around the village by the locals and are given the opportunity to view community life at close quarters.

Alternatively, SEDETUR can make reservations at a number of other locally built and run hostels for tourists. Some of these are equally charming and even more off the beaten track, though facilities tend to be a little more basic.

Either type of accommodation makes a convenient and economical base for exploring the communities and archeological sites in the centre of Oaxaca state. Many communities have their own particular handicraft tradition, such as carpet-weaving, wickerwork or pottery; others often have their own museum devoted to archeological finds from the area and the life of the villagers. Some are in areas of outstanding natural beauty, where locals will take you horseback riding, trout fishing or caving.

The Tourist Yú'ù are designed to sleep six (the hostels sleep more), with a bedroom, a fully equipped kitchen with stove and refrigerator, and outside shower and toilets which can also be used by people camping in the grounds. Each facility has a custodian who collects US$5 per person (US$3 for students), US$15 for groups of six, and US$2 for campers.

Reservations can be made – preferably a few days in advance, especially for the more accessible sites – through SEDETUR, Oaxaca's tourist office, inside the Palacio Municipal (tel 9/516-0984, fax 516-1500).

Montreal
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is responsible tourism possible in Huatulco? mexican run...

In Bruce Whipperman's book, he mentions a website...he also has a more wide selection of hotels -small to all the allinclusives -the 2004 edition.

www.sociallyresponsible.org

which gives you more links.

http://www.sociallyresponsible.org/TRAVEL.htm

www.greenglobe21.com

GUESS WHAT? Huatulco got a GREEN GLOBE 21 ACCREDITATION and to my surprise, so did Barcelo Huatulco...

But I read in Whipperman's book that its ecological mandate will be ruin if Fonatur continues to develop as planned until 2020.

Huatulco

Community - Communities

Huatulco refers to the resort area Bahías de Huatulco or the Bays of Huatulco, the fifth and most recent development created by Mexico’s government agency FONATUR located along the cost of Oaxaca in a stunning mountain and jungle setting. Huatulco consists of a territory of 21,000 hectares and is made up of nine secluded bays and 36 secluded beaches located along 35 kilometres of pristine coastline with 70% of the land set aside for ecological protection. Huatulco was selected as the perfect place for a tourism development due to its economic situation, its natural beauty and its close proximity to cultural and historical sites.

Barceló Premium Huatulco - benchmarked and certified by Green Globe 21.

TEN COMMANDMENTS

Respect the frailty of the earth. Realize that unless all are willing to help in its preservation, unique and beautiful destinations may not be here for future generations to enjoy.

Leave only footprints. Take only photographs. No graffiti! No litter! Do not take away souvenirs from historical sites and natural areas.

To make your travels more meaningful, educate yourself about the geography, customs, manners and cultures of the region you visit. Take time to listen to the people. Encourage local conservation efforts.

Respect the privacy and dignity of others. Inquire before photographing people.

Do not buy products made from endangered plants or animals, such as ivory, tortoise shell, animal skins, and feathers. Read Know Before You Go, the U. S. Customs list of products which cannot be imported.

Always follow designated trails. Do not disturb animals, plants or their natural habitats.

Learn about and support conservation-oriented programs and organizations working to preserve the environment.

Whenever possible, walk or use environmentally-sound methods of transportation. Encourage drivers of public vehicles to stop engines when parked.

Patronize those (hotels, airlines, resorts, cruise lines, tour operators and suppliers) who advance energy and environmental conservation; water and air quality; recycling; safe management of waste and toxic materials; noise abatement, community involvement; and which provide experienced, well-trained staff dedicated to strong principles of conservation.

Encourage organizations to subscribe to environmental guidelines. ASTA urges organizations to adopt their own environmental codes to cover special sties and ecosystems.

Travel is a natural right of all people and is a crucial ingredient of world peace and understanding. With that right comes responsibilities. ASTA encourages the growth of peaceful tourism and environmentally responsible travel.

Spotlight on:

Building with Awareness

Featuring straw bale, adobe, cobb, and other alternative and green building materials, the design of structures to create a sense of place, detailed construction techniques solar energy, alternative fuel cars, solar ovens, and much more.

Our planet is in your hands. Please handle with care.

Montreal
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is responsible tourism possible in Huatulco? mexican run...

This was the thread that caused a mutiny against me. Had they read it, they wouldn't be to vitrolic. It's about their own feelings and their perception of themselves to the world, not my own statements. I never judged anyone.The proof is in the writing..

Travel agents aren't too keen about this kind of travelling.Commissions would be very low for them if people bought flights and hotels separately.

Ps I pasted stuff from different websites so I not the one being preachy preach.It's for those who might be interested in this sort of stuff.

FYI, There's is a Yu'u in Huatulco in Chahue though it looked very dark and saw 2 cars in front of it.

Saskatchewanites are the nicest Cdns along with Maritimers. Thanks Rissacks and everyone else 4 their input (funny, how most Americans were nicer in tone up here than my fellow canucks) up here for giving me the courage in spite of my fears.

BTW,I heard Gala is Carribean corporation. Realcamino is Mexican.Barcelo might by Spaniard owned but it'S THE ONLY HOTEL in Huatulco with this Green stamp of approval it depends where your priorities lie - economic ownership vs ecological recylcing, water PROCESSING etc.In anycase, tourism alone even a-i which I started off to simplfy my life, aids people's lives in the long run.There are buses employees from the real village of Santa Maria Huatulco everyday so they have jobs.

Montreal
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is responsible tourism possible in Huatulco? mexican run...

Here is the website taht started it all for us...we went to developing world once with this tour which opened our eyes.

Go to gapadventures.com to sustainable tourism to responsible traveller.

CODE OF CONDUCT

As a traveller, you can do a lot to help ensure that tourism in developing countries remains a positive experience for everyone. The following guidelines offer suggestions for low-impact and culturally sensitive travel:

1.Stay on the trail

Straying from the trail while hiking can cause erosion and other environmentally harmful impacts.

2. Viewing animals from a safe distance is fine; touching, feeding, or cornering them is not.

3.Do not buy products that exploit wildlife, aid in habitat destruction, or come from endangered species.

4.Don't litterThis is one time when the old adage "When in Rome, do as the Romans" doesn't apply. Even if you see a local person littering, set an example and dispose of your garbage appropriately.

5Recycling is extremely limited or non-existent in most developing countries. Avoid products with excess packaging; opt for beverages in glass bottles as they tend to be re-used.