We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are all the "MUST EAT AT" places in the Huatulco are?

toronto
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where are all the "MUST EAT AT" places in the Huatulco are?

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the MUST EAT AT list in Honolulu...? Going there in March and are v. excited!

Any hidden treasures? Fast food, street food, fine dining, snacks, desserts, and casual eats suggestions are most welcome - if it's local, it says Huatulco, and mmm mmm good we want to try it if at all possible.

Signed,

Die Hard Foodies

toronto
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where are all the "MUST EAT AT" places in the Huatulco are?

oops, i meant Huatulco... sorry. thanks for your help!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where are all the "MUST EAT AT" places in the Huatulco are?

Ate all but 1 meal at the Gala (where we stayed) but did eat at La Crema in La Cr...(?)and it was great. Specializes in wood burning oven pizzas. opens at 7pm til 2 am. wonderful girl there that speaks perfect english. enjoy

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where are all the "MUST EAT AT" places in the Huatulco are?

There are so many good places, you really can't go wrong. Everyone has their own favorites so I hesitate to even name any but here are a couple we ate at-and we'd go back to any of them. Just try everything! There are no "chain" restaurants so everything is local.

Don Porfirio--across the street from the Barcelo/Gala. Seafood and steaks!

Ve el Mar--on the beach in Santa Cruz. Seafood!

La Crema--a block off the zocalo in La Crucecita. Great pizza!

El Sabor--La Crucecita. Lots of Oaxacan cuisine!

A little place at La Bocana that I have no idea what the name is. It's on your left as you face the beach. Just a tent over some plastic tables and the sand. No english--spoken or on the menu. Just about the best seafood we had for a small price.

I have heard the french toast at the Terra Cotta is to die for but, alas, we didn't get there. I've even heard the tacos sold out of the back of a car in Santa Cruz are really good.

So many restaurants, so little time...

Victoria, Texas
Level Contributor
429 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where are all the "MUST EAT AT" places in the Huatulco are?

What did you eat at La Bocana? We leave for Huatulco in 16 days.

Any other good hints?

Red Lake
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where are all the "MUST EAT AT" places in the Huatulco are?

My first thought for this vacation was the sun but now I'm thinking - this food sounds great and being all inclusive - well I know how those drinks are going to taste. So my question is for those who have been - any good "mumu shops" because this mama is going to need a mumu to wear !!!

Mercerville, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where are all the "MUST EAT AT" places in the Huatulco are?

We were there a year and a half ago and found that the best places to eat were at the beaches. We would get the fresh fish and eat right on the beach. Fantastic! Pescado de la Plancha (?) was my favorite. Grilled with garlic and butter sauce washed down with a beer. They will also cook the fish you catch if you hire a launcha to the beaches and fish on the way like we usually did.

We stayed off the Zocalo in La Crucecita and tried the restaurants in town a couple of times, but were usually disappointed. A couple of exceptions: Los Portales on the north side of the Zocalo. No gringos there either time we went (not that there were many in town anyway). Very typical Mexican steaks, tacos, etc... nothing fancy, but a good value and nothing disappointing like the Oasis. Another good buy was El Sabor de Oaxaca. There was also a place in the market that was excellent and dirt cheap, but I can't recall the name.

We will be headed back in October.

Enjoy yourself!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where are all the "MUST EAT AT" places in the Huatulco are?

I think RDubNJ is right that often the restaurants right on the beach have some of the best seafood. And besides, what doesn't taste good when you're a few yards from the ocean?

At the place at La Bocana I had shrimp (camarón) and there was nothing small about them. I think I had maybe 5 and they filled the plate! A friend had lobsters (langosta)--they were very small (freshwater variety?) but he got maybe 5 of them. I think we paid maybe 50-80 Pesos ($5-8USD) a piece for our meals.

I've heard that the lobster fishery is being depleted by overharvesting so that was the only time any of us had the lobster.

We also did a fishing trip and brought our catch back to the hotel for cooking. It was some relative of the tuna (can't remember the name) with very dark meat. We gave it to the chef and he whipped up an absolutely amazing meal with it.

toronto
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where are all the "MUST EAT AT" places in the Huatulco are?

thanks everyone! that's a good list so far... i love the idea that you can get fresh food right on the beach.

which beaches though?

keep the suggestions coming! i look foward to trying them all out.

Chicago
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where are all the "MUST EAT AT" places in the Huatulco are?

Any worry of Montezuma's?

Just booked last night for Camino Real Zaashila for March 24-30. Have 3 boys (10, 8, and 4) and as much as I would prefer to eat off resort, letting them get sick is not an option.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where are all the "MUST EAT AT" places in the Huatulco are?

Which beaches for eating...Santa Cruz, Maguey, check out the site www.tomzap.com they have detailed info on many different beaches & what they offer.

Never got sick here and we ate in town every night. Keith...one thing to consider is going the the wonderful little bakery in La Crucecita and picking up pastries for breakfast in your room at the hotel with room service coffee & juices, the buffet runs about $17.00/pp for adults, you can get ala carte but we had difficulty getting the message across. We often split lunches at the resort on the beach beach is was warm so we weren't real hungry. Then again we don't have appetites like a 10 yr old lol.