We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ARE Tangolunda beaches public to NONGUESTS? FAV...

Montreal
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
ARE Tangolunda beaches public to NONGUESTS? FAV...

With 36 beaches , which to choose in the span of a week? Which ones are accessible to all/public? access by road? which are impossible in Tangolunda - allinclusives hardass about it?

I don't think the all-inclusives follow mexican law that all beaches in Mexico are public....

Being said, which beaches in Tangolunda bay we can visit if we're not at an allinclusive?

Must we sneak in a hotel - which ones are less strict?

People use small fisherman boats/pangas but I think I will be seasick ..and doubt they go bay to bay - seems to small...

Bays:

san augustin

chachaual

cacahuta

maguey

organo

santa cruz - has 3 beaches santa cruz,la entrega...

chahue has a couple..chahue beach

el arrocito -looks steep from Villa Corals PHOTO

Tangolunda : has 5 beaches

RINCON SABROSO ,Tangolunda,tornillo /vent ...(part of las brisas resort?)

Conejo - TEJONCITO?

where's playa bocana?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ARE Tangolunda beaches public to NONGUESTS? FAV...

Saffron~

We stayed a Camino Real Zaashila on Tangalunda, I never really noticed anyone who wasn't staying at the hotel on the beach. Although there are beach vendors who go from area to area.

You might want to consider to a tour of the bays early in the week, that way if you see any you like you can rent a car & go to them.

We went did the tour via a small boat with a guide, but there are larger ones (booze cruise types) that take off from santa cruz.

Maguey and Santa Cruz were two I noticed that have beach restaurants & we often saw people dining and playing on the beach.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
538 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ARE Tangolunda beaches public to NONGUESTS? FAV...

Saffron

If you are into snorkeling make sure to go to San Augustin. It was amazing. We had a really good time there and could have spent alot longer than we did there.

Calgary, AB Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ARE Tangolunda beaches public to NONGUESTS? FAV...

At Las Brisas, there was actually a sign regarding the beach, saying something like "open to the public". So you should have no problems there.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
418 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ARE Tangolunda beaches public to NONGUESTS? FAV...

There is a beach on the other side of Las Brisas. It's caleled Allicito or Acillito or something like that. Get a cab to take you there. When he drops you off tell him what time you want to be picked up and then pay when he takes you back. A tour guide told me thats how it works, but we never did it. We got a cab to stop there on our way back from La Crucecita just to see where it was. It's about a 100 meters down some stairs to the beach from the road.

Montreal
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ARE Tangolunda beaches public to NONGUESTS? FAV...

Thanks everyone for the tips....

Poncho's wife....yeah, the bays tour early is a very good idea....but i don't want to go back to bad beaches when you've seen the best/creme de la creme before and feel disappointed.at least, if you start with so so beaches and low expectation, you have something to live for later on...then again, you only have 1 week - gotta live for the moment, we deserve the best.

cabs should be cheap....but san augustin is the furtherest ad i doubt we can travel to the best beach everyday.i give the ugly beaches a chance too.

Yes, i was wondering about cabbing to some bays and beaches...i think fogu, you mean Arrocito which i read little stuff about...only villa coral seems to be on it.

beggars can't be chosers..I thought if we strolled thru barcelo/gala complexes without those neons wristbands they'll usher us out...plus, no palapa use or chains..we'll stick out on towels...

Some folks i met said tangolunda wasn't that nice anyway but it would be nice to see this area...

Fogu, you're back from puerto vallarta and huatulco? Did you have a great time?

Montreal
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ARE Tangolunda beaches public to NONGUESTS? FAV...

FOR PICTURES OF THE BEACHES AND MORE

how about trips to la montosa ,mixteca, blanquita islands - do they have beaches?

http://www.tomzap.com/hbeaches.html

map of beaches

http://www.tomzap.com/map_huat.html

The Beaches of Huatulco, Oaxaca

The rugged terrain of the area divides the coastline into numerous isolated bays (bahías) and beaches (playas). I will group the beaches into the areas of Santa Cruz, Tangolunda, Bahía Conejos, and the area west of Santa Cruz. You may wish to refer to the Map of Huatulco or a regional map of the Oaxacan Coast (East). Also, please refer to the scuba section for an important note on the variability of wave strength due to phases of the moon.

Main Index • Beach Index

Huatulco, Oaxaca

Bahías de Huatulco

Huatulco Airport

Scuba Diving

Snorkeling Basics

Fishing in Huatulco

Fish of the Oaxacan Coast

Map

Visitors' Comments

About • Home • Search

Santa Cruz area Beaches

Playa La Entrega (the surrender) • This beach is where the Italian sailor Francisco Picaluga betrayed General Vicente Guerrero. The 600' beach is the southernmost of the Santa Cruz beaches and is good for swimming and diving. Wave action varies from calm to moderate at different places along the beach. Accessible by land and boat.

Playa Yerbabuena (mint) • This small, quiet beach is located on the western shore of Bahía de Santa Cruz, north of Playa La Entrega. Accessible by boat. Moderate waves.

Playa Santa Cruz (cross) • Located in Santa Cruz, this 800' long beach features calm waters, coral, sea shells, and lots of fish life. A good place to snorkel or scuba, but watch out for sea urchins and moray eels. Small underwater cave. Restaurants, equipment rental, and boat rides available. See Aerial Photos.

Playa Chahue • 2000' long, sloping beach with moderate waves located east of Santa Cruz. For experienced swimmers.

Playa Esperanza (hope) • 400' long, strong waves, east of Playa Chahue. Not recommended for inexperienced swimmers.

Playa El Tejón (badger) • 400' long with moderate waves, located east of Playa Esperanza.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tangolunda Beaches

Playa Consuelo (consolation) • A small, 250' beach with moderate waves west of Bahía Tangolunda. Accessed by boat.

Playa El Arrocito • A small, 300' beach with small waves and shallow depth located just west of Bahía Tangolunda. Accessed by boat.

Playa Ventura, Playa Manzanillo (apple), & Playa Tornillo (bolt) • These three beaches are located together on the western shore of Bahía Tangolunda at the Club Med. They total about 600' in length with calm waves. Good for swimming, snorkeling and all aquatic sports.

Playa Tangolunda • The Sheraton, the Maeva, and the golf course are located on this 1/2-mile long beach. The beach may also be accessed through Tangolunda Park, west of the hotels. Moderate waves. Swimming, diving, and all watersports available. See Aerial Photos.

Playa Rincón Sabroso (pleasant corner) • Located west of Tangolunda, 800' long, moderate waves. Swimming snorkeling and all aquatic sports.

Playa La Mixteca (name of an indian tribe) • Small beach near the mouth (east side) of Tangolunda Bay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beaches of Bahía Conejos

Conejos Bay is located east of Tangolunda Bay.

Playa Tejoncito (badger) • Located at the western edge of Conejos Bay, 300' gently sloping beach, calm waves, shallow depth. For swimming, snorkeling, diving, and fishing. Accessible by boat. Seafood and sodas available during the busy season.

Playa Arena (sand) • Located east of Playa Tejoncito, 300' long, sloping beach with strong waves. For swimming, snorkeling, diving, and fishing. Accessible by boat. Seafood and sodas available during the busy season.

Playa Punta Arena (sandy point) • East of and adjacent to Playa Arena and centrally located in Conejos Bay. About 1/2-mile long, sloping beach with strong waves, not recommended for inexperienced swimmers. Accessible by boat. Seafood and sodas available during the busy season.

Playa Conejos (rabbits) • At the eastern end of Conejos Bay, 1/4-mile long, fine white sand, shallow out to 50' from shore, then having rocky formations.

Beaches west of Santa Cruz

Playas Cuatonalco, Boca Vieja, Ixtapa, Coyote • These beaches all have similar characteristics. They are more than 10 miles from Santa Cruz by boat. To reach Cuatonalco and Boca Vieja (old river mouth) by land, follow the dirt road that intersects the coastal highway (200) at the Rio Coyula bridge 4 miles west of the Huatulco airport. To reach Ixtapa and Coyote, take the dirt road that intersects the coastal highway at the same point as the road to Santa María Huatulco which is just west of the airport. The beaches face directly on the ocean. Each beach is about a mile in length with sloping fine white sand, and strong waves. Not recommended for inexperienced swimmers.

Playa San Agustín • About 1-mile long, calm waves, gentle slope, shallow depth, much coral, restaurants serving fresh seafood. Excellent for snorkeling and diving. Accessible by land by taking the dirt road that intersects the coastal highway at the same point as the road to Santa María Huatulco which is just west of the airport, or by boat from Santa Cruz.

Playa Cacalutilla • Located in San Agustín Bay northeast of Playa San Agustín, 700' long, gently sloping, shallow depth. Excellent for snorkeling. Accessible by land by taking the dirt road that intersects the coastal highway at the same point as the road to Santa María Huatulco which is just west of the airport, or by boat from Santa Cruz. Swimming, snorkeling, diving, fishing, water skiing.

Playa Chachacual • 3/4-mile long, sloping beach, moderate waves, accessible by boat. Not recommended for inexperienced swimmers. Swimming, snorkeling, diving, fishing.

Playa La India • Located in Cchachacual Bay, 1/4-mile long, fine white sand, accessible by boat. Swimming, snorkeling, diving, fishing.

Playa Jicaral (cuplike) • Located west of Chachacual Bay, 150' long, moderate waves, fine white sand moderately sloping with small rocky formations. Swimming, snorkeling, diving, fishing.

Playa Riscalillo • Fine white sand, gentle waves, shallow depth. Swimming, snorkeling, diving, fishing. Access by boat, located 30 minutes southwest of Santa Cruz

Playa Cacaluta (black eagle) • About 1/2-mile long, coarse white sand, strong waves, accessible by boat. Swimming, snorkeling, diving, fishing. 300' offshore is Cacaluta Island, a small rocky island, around which divers can explore coral reefs at depths to 80'.

Playa Maguey • 1/4-mile long, accessible by boat and land, calm waves on the east end, moderate on the west end. Good swimming and snorkeling. Further out, Punta Maguey is good for scuba diving with walls and caves.

Playa Organo (organ cactus) • 800' long, moderate waves, accessible by boat, land access is difficult. Swimming, snorkeling, diving. Seafood and sodas available during the busy season.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
418 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ARE Tangolunda beaches public to NONGUESTS? FAV...

Saffron; Yeah, both trips were great, especially Huatulco. Pv was very busy. Xmas time is the big vacation time for Mexican students as well so there were a lot of people around. The malecon was always packed at night. You had to fight crowds and stand in line just about everywhere you went after 7pm. Huatulco was a perfect fit for my wife and me. No crowds or lineups. And the weather was perfect. We are definitely going back there! I wrote a review on the Barcelo, it should be posted in a day or two.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ARE Tangolunda beaches public to NONGUESTS? FAV...

We stayed at the Las Brisas and got the bird watcher - Pablo to pick up up at 9:00am and for 40 bucks a person, he took us in his Jeep Cherokee to his village and to the beach Bara Santa Cruz and he taught us to surf!!! It is the closest in the area to surf at and it was amazing.

Get answers to your questions about Huatulco