We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huatulco vs puerto Vallarta

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
Huatulco vs puerto Vallarta

going on our honeymoon, first time in USA heading to hawaii for 7 days vagas for 4 days and mexico for 8.

thinking of staying at the westin in puerto vallarta but huatulco has been suggested to us, please help

we are looking to experience the 'real Mexican feel' but also would love a beautiful beach and snorkeling

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,682 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Huatulco vs puerto Vallarta

I think I was one of those who suggested Huatulco.

If you want the best beaches in Mexico you have to go to either the Mayan Riviera/Yucatan (east coast/Caribbean side) or to Huatulco. There is also very good snorkeling in both areas, and beautiful beaches.

The main difference between those two areas are -there is better weather in Huatulco-hotter/more reliably sunny in winter, no rain, not as windy- and Huatulco is less built up and commercialized, and quieter in general. Very Mexican, very relaxing and laid back- but Playa del Carmen and Cancun have great nightlife, wonderful bars and restaurants and shopping, many large All Inclusive resorts and better deals usually.

You can't go wrong with either of those two places in my opinion for your needs- you just have to ask yourself if you want a busier place or a quieter one.

When are you going? Will you be flying from Vegas? Cancun might be more economical, Huatulco has fewer and more expensive flights.

And what do you want, All Inclusive, boutique hotel, or condo?

(Also- if you go to Puerto Vallarta, I recommend the Dreams south of the city...nicest setting and beach.)

California
Level Contributor
652 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Huatulco vs puerto Vallarta

Congratulations! If "real Mexican feel" is high on the list, the Huatulco is the place to go. There are many beautiful beaches and decent snorkeling. I don't know about the Westin or how Huatulco hotels measure to that, but I do know that Huatulco hospitality is tops. It's not a nightlife party destination, so if having that is important then another destination may be better for you. If you have specific questions about hotels and/or the area, please ask.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Huatulco vs puerto Vallarta

thank you so much for your help!!

we fly in 17/11 via Vegas but have been told Cancun is no good for honeymooners.

we dont want to be secluded. would still like a few nice restaurants and bars to go to nothing massive. more relaxing in the sun sipping cocktails and going for a snorkel :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Huatulco vs puerto Vallarta

is there a massive difference in the water temp at Huatulco and puerto Vallarta

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Huatulco vs puerto Vallarta

Not clear on when you are going. 17th of April this year?

In Mexico, we've been to Puerto Vallarta (PV), Riviera Maya (RM) 2 times (south of Cancun), and Huatulco 2 times. Huatulco in our winter (December, January) has by far the best weather. It is hot, sunny, and no rain. In winter PV can be cool. The beach at the resort we were at (Palladium) was an absolute no go for swimming. We have no plans to return to PV. RM is not Cancun. Cancun is kind of like Vegas in Mexico but with a beach. It is known for spring break parties for kids. You guys look young, so perhaps it may be attractive. Our preference on the east side is RM, which is South of Cancun, and not so much of a party crowd. Very nice resorts and some very good beaches. The only down side of RM is unpredictable weather. Rain is never out of the question, and it seems to be always windy. The water temp is not bad, and perhaps a bit warmer than Huatulco. Both are quite nice for swimming. The other up side of RM are the attractions outside the resort -- spectacular ruins of the Mayans and cenotes. You won't see either at PV or Huatulco. Huatulco is not a real party place either. There is no city and just a small town with a few modest bars, but it probably provides the most real view of Mexico life.

What would I choose? Not PV. It would be Riviera Maya or Huatulco depending on what you like. For beach, swimming, great weather, and snorkeling it would be Huatulco. For a more city like party scene, then there is Playa del Carmen in RM. It also offer the off resort attractions if you like to see that kind of thing.

But clarify your time of travel. Huatulco weather gets very hot in summer and there are risks of significant rain. Huatulco is best in our Winter -- and not so good in Summer.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Huatulco vs puerto Vallarta

Hi :)

thank you again for your info :)

we are arriving on the 17th November until the 25th

how cool is PV in winter, a mild 25 degrees? or a bit cooler?

i guess we're not looking to party but would like to see a few things and be able to dine out as well as a lil shopping :)

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Huatulco vs puerto Vallarta

It really would be like comparing apples to oranges, kinda like comparing Brisbane to Cairns ( 20 years ago) .

If you are looking for warmer temps, guaranteed sunny, hot weather then Huatulco wins hands down, especially in November. An unbelievable variety of beaches to spend a day on.... In my travels I've been fortunate enough to spend a fair bit of time in SE Asia and Australia, what amazed me the first time I came to Huatulco was that the Bays are numerous, and well, the variety is what sold me... 36 nooks and crannies all in really close proximity, all within a 5-10$AU taxi fare. La Bocana is great for body surfing, Maguey is a fav for swimming, San Agustin is fantastic for snorkeling. The area and supporting townships, Santa Cruz and LaCrucecita are relatively " new" on the map.. I believe the grass roots infrastructure began about 25 -30 years. Huatulco has such a cool little vibe to it, very laid back and the locals are oh so darn friendly. No big chain restaurants or clubs, which lends itself to the charm of the area.

Huatulco itself is not " dripping " in culture,, at least from a historical point. but if you are looking for a true peek at culture, markets, architecture, unbelievable ruins ( Monte Alban) and great beaches... Oaxaca is the state to visit, hands down.... I'd suggest spending 2 of your 8 days in Oaxaca City to really experience Mexico!

PVR, well is PVR... as I said it is like comparing apples to oranges. The area is well established, a lot more populated.... which lends itself to a greater selection of restaurants,clubs and shopping, downside being the costs are higher for everything across the board. Beaches, no comparison.. it is one Huge, Mother of a Bay, the clarity of the water is not the same as Huatulco.... escape is possible, a few $$$ by local bus ( which is a trip in itself,way too much fun) go North for surfing/ boogie boarding , go south for ' er granola.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Huatulco vs puerto Vallarta

Thank you kindly for your recommendations!! you are making me wish it was November now :)

EVERYWHERE
Level Contributor
527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Huatulco vs puerto Vallarta

Huatulco.

Calgary, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Huatulco vs puerto Vallarta

Huatulco all the way!!!!!! The las brisas resort has great snorkelling! Keep in mind the reef is small at the hotel, but for 30 pesos you can cab to much better snorkel beaches! I actually just got back from there last night...5th time in 2 years at the las brisas!

Enjoy!