We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to Oaxaca City

Montana City...
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
travel to Oaxaca City

We will be coming from Phoenix and want a few days in Oaxaca after a week or so beach time in Huatulco. As far as booking air travel should we just take a round trip from Huatulco to the city instead of trying to book back to Phoenix from Oaxaca City?

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to Oaxaca City

I'd book two separate flights... Phoenix to Huatulco and then return air from Oaxaca City to Phoenix. Why back track.... From a travel time / cost point of view this makes the most ¢¢¢... hmm, sense to me.

Depending on your travel days, you can book flights that work in your favour, some stellar deals are available .... all it takes is a little research and some mixing / matching of different airlines. Mid week flights are usually a smidge lower in cost, if you can book one leg of the trip during this time you should save yourself a few buckeroos. Long gone are the days when return flights were the way to go.

Level Contributor
82 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel to Oaxaca City

You should examine it both ways from a time and money perspective before making a decision but I tend to agree with suzetravels. We're going from Washington state to Huatulco later this month, then taking Aerotucan (about 100 bucks a person, each way) to Oaxaca for a couple of days and returning home from Oaxaca. In fact, the layover in Houston is MUCH shorter on the return flight. because there are more flights out of Oaxaca. The math -- time and money -- of returning to Huatulco to fly home didn't make sense for us and I'm betting the same is the case for you.

Level Contributor
82 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel to Oaxaca City

You should examine it both ways from a time and money perspective before making a decision but I tend to agree with suzetravels. We're going from Washington state to Huatulco later this month, then taking Aerotucan (about 100 bucks a person, each way) to Oaxaca for a couple of days and returning home from Oaxaca. In fact, the layover in Houston is MUCH shorter on the return flight. because there are more flights out of Oaxaca. The math -- time and money -- of returning to Huatulco to fly home didn't make sense for us and I'm betting the same is the case for you.

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel to Oaxaca City

Another option would be the overnite first class bus to Oaxaca City. 280/320 p pre pax. Comfortable and you don't loose a day traveling. We have done it several times as well as to San Cristobal de Las Casas.

Montana City...
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel to Oaxaca City

Thanks for all your thoughts on this. Time wise it does make sense to fly home from Oaxaca City. Appreciate the tips and imput.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel to Oaxaca City

Hola.

We live in Huatulco and NYC and fly between the two via Continental (through IAH) 5-6 times per year. That said, from NYC we often go FIRST to Oaxaca de J. to purchase stuff for the Casa and after a few days of shopping, eating and sightseeing we THEN take the first-class bus (or fly via AeroTucan) to HUX. Our return to NYC is usually from HUX to IAH to EWR.

We do not know what time of year you are planning to make your trip, but please be aware that during the winter months Oaxaca de J. can be quite cold at night, and following those nights we love to come home to the warmth of Huatulco.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Montana City...
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel to Oaxaca City

Good idea to go to the city first, so thats the plan! Thanks.

8. Re: travel to Oaxaca City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco