We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent violence in Huatulco

Whistler, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Recent violence in Huatulco

Noticed a recent review highlighting recent deaths in Huatulco. To clarify, I'm the last person to be paranoid about violence in Mexico but it does made me wonder how safe Huatulco is. The rewiew didn't offer any insights about the hotel other than its proximity to the voilence so it doesn't surprise me it has been taken down. Can't imagine this will going bode well for tourism or the nearby hotel though...

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent violence in Huatulco

There was a great long thread here a few days ago regarding all this.....it has disappeared along with any mention anywhere of the late December events.

I honestly don't worry too much about it, I love Huatulco..but that being said I want to be informed of situations and although I know some of the events there may be some folks who have not heard anything and I don't think that is fair....to be informed is the only way to go.

All the hush hush...not good.

California
Level Contributor
657 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent violence in Huatulco

We also love Huatulco. My wife and I agreed to vacation there annually only as long as the area stayed safe (at least in our perception) and until we started seeing reports of violence. While our hometown is not immune to violence, we know to avoid areas that are most likely to be dangerous. My only access to similar information regarding Huatulco is Trip Advisor, and for them to remove the most informative thread on the subject makes me feel not only a bit uncomfortable with Huatulco but even more so with Trip Advisor's censorship. Knowing that I was on that beach only 2 days before those folks went missing gives me goosebumps. Before the recent news report we have never felt unsafe in the area while visiting the local towns, walking down the road to remote beaches, and going on excursions with local guides - it's definitely a nice alternative to the busy tourist areas like Cancun and PV. Trip Advisor's censorship of the traveller information to this wonderful area makes me wonder to whose benefit do they serve?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
682 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent violence in Huatulco

We agree Sammie, go figure!!

Vince & Karen

Yellowknife, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent violence in Huatulco

Why does Trip Advisor censor these things? I am a single woman who has booked a trip to Huatulco in March. I probably wouldn't change my plans over an isolated incident, but TA's removal of vital information makes me wonder if this is such an isolated incident. Stop censoring and let your clients make up their own minds with as much information as possible!

Now I wonder what else they've removed about other locations I've searched, and it just calls the credibility and integrity of the entire site into question. For shame.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent violence in Huatulco

Was there any information given as tho why the thread was removed?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
285 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent violence in Huatulco

If it was removed by TA, I wonder what else is suspect on this forum

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent violence in Huatulco

Has anyone seen reports of this violence incident elsewhere? Usually TA removes stuff if it involves misinformation,someone getting nasty, advertising, etc. So is it possible that the post stating some violence could not be corroborated and was only rumor??

red lake
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent violence in Huatulco

it wasn't rumor - I read through the entire thread. If you google huatulco and cbc there is an interview there that gives information. Wonder if they'll remove this post too ??

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent violence in Huatulco

That forum should have been allowed to play out...Now the concern surrounding the removal of the post is causing even more concern. TA cannot bury my head in the sand...I want to know why it took the Canadian ex husband to fly down, search, and find numerous bodies very near to the Secrets resort that the local authorities could not find...if they even looked. Sounds like there is more to this whole story.

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent violence in Huatulco

TA had every right to remove that thread. It was full of mis-information and opinions. JJJ9's post is a classic example with a reference to "numerous bodies" being found.

The CBC interview is on line. There are quotes from family members and a close friend in on line news reports. Other than that information all else is speculation until the authorities have concluded their investigation and release the results.

The victims have families and friends. TA showed respect by removing the thread, as they should do with this one.