We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panga possible for 7 people?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Panga possible for 7 people?

I'm going to be in Huatulco next week and was interested renting a panga with my friend from Mexico, who I'm traveling with. He's found out that one of his friends from college is going to be in Huatulco at the same time along with some of his friends. Everyone is interested in the idea of going out on a panga offering beer and the possibility of Fishing/Snorkeling for a whole day. The problem is that we're now 7 people, and I read that the most that Pangas can accommodate is 4-6. Are there any larger Pangas that people know of that would still be able to fit everyone, since I don't think we really need a larger boat due to the cost.

Language won't be an issue as I would be the only non-native Spanish speaker aboard.

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panga possible for 7 people?

Many of the Pangas can carry 7 persons

I suggest that you go down to the marina and negioate your best deal

I am sure that you will have a wonderful day with just about any captain

My family has had good luck with Isadro and his boat the Paty

Wayne Overby

Villa Sol y Mar

(House of the Sun & Sea)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panga possible for 7 people?

Thanks Wayne for the tips! We were thinking about offering 1,000 pesos for 2 people for the day, but what would be the going rate for 7 people?

Denver, CO USA
Level Contributor
407 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panga possible for 7 people?

Just Chris, If you are planning on 1,000 peso for an entire day I'm afraid you are really low. When we were there in February the going rate was 500 peso PER HOUR. Maybe in low season you may be able to negiotiate a lower rate. Good Luck.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panga possible for 7 people?

To clarify, I had considered 1,000 for an entire day based on 2 people in the low season, negotiating directly at the dock, and not necessarily needing a Panga captain who speaks English. 500 pesos per hour for that excursion for 2 people would be excessive, I feel.

With 6 of the 7 people being Mexican nationals, I'm suspecting that they would offer a lower price than they normally would for foreign tourists. I do realize that we'd have to pay a significantly higher rate for 7 people rather than 2...it's just a question of what we should try to negotiate for 7 people.

Edited: 27 June 2012, 14:17
Chicago
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panga possible for 7 people?

Gas costs and related expenses are the same if you speak Spanish or English . The going rate has been $40-50 dollars per hour. Regardless if it's one person or six.

berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Panga possible for 7 people?

I think 1000 pesos for an entire day is really low (ridiculous, actually) but 500 pesos an hour seems pretty high. I can't remember what we paid for the day last year but there were 4 of us, we were out the whole day, more than 8 hours. We had a captain and a guide with us, and we didn't pay 500 pesos an hour. Unless they're providing the food and drinks, the cost shouldn't increase significantly with more people. You can always bring your own cooler and plan on stopping for lunch at one of the beaches that has restaurants.

Chris, I also don't think you should expect a significantly discounted rate just for being with Mexicans or speaking Spanish. Ditto for low season rates - less business often means they need to charge more or have less room to negotiate. These guys work hard and they have families to support . Why wouldn't you want to pay them a fair rate for their time?

Edited: 27 June 2012, 14:44
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Panga possible for 7 people?

Hi Mariaguapa,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, very helpful.

I apologize if anyone thinks I'm trying to take advantage of the panga drivers. I think we will go significantly higher than 1000 especially since there are 7 people among us and we can split the cost.

I'll definitely update this thread once we go out to share what the experience was.

Alberta
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Panga possible for 7 people?

Just chris

we go to Huatulco every year in Feb. and rent a panga every time at least once. the most we have ever paid for the whole day is $2000.00 pesos and usually it is $1600.00 pesos, it doesn't matter if it is 1 person or 7-8 people

go to the marina in santa cruz and talk to the guys they will give u a good deal

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Panga possible for 7 people?

I agree with house owner

His rates are what I understand the norm to be

I never want to screw others but refuse to overpay because I am white

Wayne Overby

Villa Sol y Mar

(House of the Sun & Sea)

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
696 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Panga possible for 7 people?

The rate for fishing is $50/ hr. for a trip to San Agustin (all day) is $2500 pesos, this includes a couple of stops foe snorkeling-swimming and lunch, you can do both, troll a couple of lines on the way to San Agustin and snorkeling at La India.

Serious fishing in a panga with 7 people can be a mess and some captains won't take that many people.

Alfredo