We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

la crucecita or santa cruz?

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
la crucecita or santa cruz?

In which should I stay? I want fun..I'm a single female traveler, want to eat local, etc. Considered an AI, but seems boring, esp. alone. There seem to be some great hotels, near the 2 towns, near beaches...but I am confused about the two towns.

Help??

Thanks!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,926 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: la crucecita or santa cruz?

As a single traveler, it can actually be very easy to meet other singles when staying AI.

We have stayed at both AIs and non-AIs in Mexico, and I have to say that if I were going to go as a single, I would go the AI route. It's just easier to strike up conversations with others by the pools and at the buffets and discos.

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: la crucecita or santa cruz?

Hmm. Well, thanks! I do speak Spanish fluently, Well, then I may do this new Secrets! Other said Dreams is more "fun". Thoughts?

Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
672 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: la crucecita or santa cruz?

Just my opinion but I would think that Secrets is a "more couple" kind of a resort. But I could be totally wrong on that one. If I were travelling solo...and having stayed at both resorts, I would for sure stay at Dreams. I agree with Dreams being more fun (as a single) and would be easier to meet people.

Edited: 23 July 2012, 21:14
berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: la crucecita or santa cruz?

I've stayed in LaCrucectita a couple of times at Mision de los Arcos and loved it. Right off the main square, lots of shops and restaurants within easy walking distance, the hotel itself is safe, clean, friendly and very reasonably priced. The owners and staff will treat you like family. I think you would be really happy there. Personally, I would take that over an AI resort any day of the week, but different strokes, different folks, etc .......... Staying in town is a lot of fun and with so many beaches to choose from, staying on the beach just isn't that much of a priority. We go to a different beach almost every day when we are on Huatulco!

One thing about the resort zone (Tangolunda) is that it is a little far from town and the restuarant choices off the resort(s) are limited. If you prefer to eat "local" food, you'll end up taking a taxi to town almost everyday anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Tangolunda
Tangolunda
Oaxaca, Mexico
Denver, CO USA
Level Contributor
407 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: la crucecita or santa cruz?

I totally agree with Mariaquapa! We also stay at Mision de los Arcos. We meet so many nice people (tourists) at the restaraunts and the shop owners and servers are all very friendly. In addition to everything that Maria said the Zocolo is active every night of the week. And the food....so many choices!

We stayed on Tangolunda twice and didn't like the AI scene or being that far away from town. It's all personal choice of course.

Edited: 24 July 2012, 01:33
Mentioned in this post
Tangolunda
Tangolunda
Oaxaca, Mexico
Thamesford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: la crucecita or santa cruz?

Secrets is more a couple resort so as a single traveler I doubt that you would enjoy your stay there. Dreams, Barcelo and Las Brisas all have taxi services into town. Mision de los Arcos sounds wonderful as you would be within walking distant of more local attractions ie shops/restaurants etc.

Mentioned in this post
Las Brisas Huatulco
Las Brisas Huatulco
4,861 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: la crucecita or santa cruz?

A nice compromise might be the Hotel Castillo in Santa Cruz. It is AI but has a very Mexican flair. It is located right in the village and has a shuttle to the beach club at Playa Chahue (5 min.) . Great place to meet fellow travellers and easy access by bus, taxi or walking to La Crucecita. Nice central location.

Mentioned in this post
La Crucecita
La Crucecita
57 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: la crucecita or santa cruz?

Speedo is correct. We stayed at the Castillo for 4 years in a row. Excellent value. You can also walk across the street to the marina, the coffee bar in the Zocolo, and to Santa Cruz beach where there are several beach restaurants. There is a nice market on the way as well.

On the way to Santa Cruz beach you might stop at the Red Rambler for some of the best tacos in the area. Emma and Arturo make them fresh each day and are delightful hosts.

Dona Celia's restaruant,the last on the right as you face the ocean on Santa Cruz beach.

And as Speedo posted it is real close to La Crucecita.

Mentioned in this post
La Crucecita
La Crucecita
57 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
9. Re: la crucecita or santa cruz?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2013, 10:17