We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Iguana Bar at Los Portales

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
The Iguana Bar at Los Portales

Well, for many years the Iguana Bar has been a meeting place and watering hole for a lot of folks.

Alas the Iguana is closed ..... but...... renovations are well under way towards the grand opening of a seafood bar. Luis and Elva have talked about doing this for some time and soon their vision will become a reality.

We had a quick tour the other day and when finished the new spot will be lovely. Lots of stainless steel and lighting and great new furniture. Yesterday painting started. A second ground floor washroom will be constructed as well.

The new spot, yet to be named, should be open around Revolution Day, Nov 20, but of course that depends upon equipment and menu start up and testing.

Los Portales and the Onix are still up and running as usual so don't let the change in process deter you from dropping in for a jar or a meal!

berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Iguana Bar at Los Portales

I have many fond memories of time spent at the Iguana Bar, back when the Iguana was still in residence!

Monroe, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
478 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Iguana Bar at Los Portales

Best wishes to Luis and Elva on their new venture. Can't wait to return in January to have a shrimp cocktail.

We too have 20 years of fond memories at the Iguana Bar! In fact meeting HuatulcoPedro was one of them!!!

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Iguana Bar at Los Portales

Thanks Kubes. Likewise to you and yours!!

Were you at the Iguana when Iggy bit BB while she was feeding him? Blood spurting everywhere. Spash of Corona and a squeeze of lime fixed her up just fine. Iggy was OK too. (when feeding an iguana best to feed it long strips of veggy....short ones get mixed in with fingers and teeth)

I know Elva follows TA so hopefully when the menu is set at least for the initial opening she will post it. Either that or I can.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
104 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Iguana Bar at Los Portales

A menu would be appreciated, also can't wait to try it in January.

berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Iguana Bar at Los Portales

Iggy let me feed her with no issues but she did not enjoy posing for a picture on my friends shoulder. She (my friend) ended up with a free T-shirt as a result!

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
691 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Iguana Bar at Los Portales

I hope they have some variation of the signature (or the original) Iguana drink - Than minty lime & mecal mix was a great cooler on hot afternoons or evenings.

Alan & Tracy

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Iguana Bar at Los Portales

OK, all you Las Portales and seafood fans! Elva and Luis will open the Seafood Bar formerly occupied by that huge iguana and fondly rembered as "The Iguana Bar", on Dec 1st 2012!!! Can't wait!!!

Molly and Waldo, the menu will be well in place by the time you get here but as soon as Luis shares it I'll post the hi-lites.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The Iguana Bar at Los Portales

First time in Huatulco this Christmas. Where would one go to find Las Portales and the Seafood Bar?

Edited: 24 November 2012, 19:40
Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Iguana Bar at Los Portales

The seafood bar is part of the lower level of Los Portales. The upper level houses The Onix, an upscale restaurant.

As you enter La C., its on your left facing the Zocolo.

www.losportaleshuatulco.com

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: The Iguana Bar at Los Portales

Thanks, huatulcopedro!