We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant reviews please.....

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
691 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant reviews please.....

Now that there are a few people back, & you lucky snowbirds have settled in, how about some NEW restaurant reviews in the restaurant section. There's no review (or name given) for Giordana's new restaurant - is it just called Giordana''s? Lots of places have been mentioned in the forum posting area, but its difficult to sort through all the posts to find them. Also review other businesses, you've enjoyed. Under "Things to do": - Chilies & Chocolate - how was your cooking class? - that trip you went on, even the store or person that was just a little special. Share the experience!

Alan & Tracy

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant reviews please.....

Was meaning to do some reviews....just got busy shoveling . We ate out just a bit and were picky because of my many allergies, but here are a few kind of boring reviews.

Breakfast...by far my fav meal and Terra Cotta is the hands down winner....endless delicious coffee, great food, super service and never ever were rushed. Air conditioning was nice especially after our Long and hot morning walks. Breakfast for two with tip was about 150 pesos. These huge breakfasts kept us full a long time.

So, we generally had a

LAte breakfast and a very late afternoon meal..we loved hitting west park cafe for a very good burger with a salad, the biggest side salad ever! Burger was happily served without a bun for me, but I wished I could eat it because it was homemade. Cheeseburger special, with a drink, was 80 pesos.

Kristal Rose, not my fav....the smell inside was terrible, smokey. Host is wonderful. Guacamole was the worst I have ever had. Food was only just ok....not seasoned enough. Pricey

El Grillo Marino...huge lunch crowd had hubby excited but the Christmas Eve dinner with friends was ok...just ok. I ate beforehand because of those allergies but I thought the plates needed veggies....rice and shrimp need color Hubby was disappointed with the amount of camarone served...we were charged more than the menu price, not cool.

Hemingways..just drinks, they do not make a very good mojito, yuk, but the ambiance is nice. something about Christmas eve...we were overcharged there too, but it was remedied when brought to their attention .

Suppers were often fruit and yogurt from the markets.....with a side of coconut ice cream from terra cotta..those,we're my favorite meals

Like I said, boring...

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant reviews please.....

Giordana's is just that...Giordana's. And darn Good. Reservations are recommended. Her friend Barbara opened Terracina and serves probably the best pizza in the area.

Michigan
Level Contributor
257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant reviews please.....

We had a great meal on Thanksgiving at Santa Clara but it is not listed in TA's Huatulco restaurant list. We had the pollo al barro (ordered the day before) and it really was delicious and interesting to see it cracked open and served from the clay pot. The warm tortillas here are excellent also. The other menu items also sounded appealing, which we will try next visit.

Another great one that doesn't seem to get much voice on this forum is Los Almendros D'Caro on Cocotillo, La Crucecita. On the weekends they do Chamorros de Caro. The ad says it perfectly: The chamorro is baked until it crumbles into pieces between the plate and your mouth. It's accompanied with grilled cactus, purple onion, green salsa, radish, coriander and but of course tortillas. YUM!

cobourg,on.ca.
Level Contributor
248 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant reviews please.....

I assume Giordana's is in La Crucecita ?

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant reviews please.....

Corner of Palma Real and Gardinia.

Ponemah, Manitoba
Level Contributor
201 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant reviews please.....

mamma mia's was great. (accross the street from Giordana's.

Krystal Rose was wonderful when were there last year, the food and service were both wonderful. this is our fifth time in Huatulco and I can honestly say that we don't have any huge complaints about any of the restaurants that we've been to with the exemption of Don Porfiorio's who every one raves about.......we found it to be over priced and the food was not great, average at best. Finca De Vaccarro is also one of our favorites.

also, we've been told that cafe vienna is fabulous, a little pricey. but the food is supposed to be awesome. have not been there yet though.

L'echalote is also supposed to be great, have heard lots of good things....

that's my two cents.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant reviews please.....

Two thumbs up for Finca De Vaccarro , meat lovers only. Great open air barbeque. Cowboy/Western atmosphere. Highly recommend the family platter, ice cold beer and mescal. Live entertainment most nights. Very comfortable.

Mamma Mia, good pizza and my daughter still can't stop talking about the lasanga.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
691 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant reviews please.....

*SIGH*......

To All:

If you read my initial post, I was trying to get people to put the reviews in the REVIEWS section, so that they would be easily accessible, & wouldn't be bumped off the first page of the forum a few days.

Great reviews though people, especially good to see you back Itchy&Scratchy, I enjoyed your lengthy reviews of Binneguenda & Mission de los Arcos

Alan

berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant reviews please.....

Interesting- I personally wasn't impressed with Krystal Rose but most people seem to love it. Although the service was great, I didn't think the food was anything to write home about- probably because they have too much and too many different styles on the menu. Kind of generic to me.....

Don Porfirio's has been one of my favorites for years and I always go at least once during the week I am in Hautulco. (and I've never stayed in Tangolunda, so I am making a special trip to get there.......) Different strokes for different folks I guess. And since I am only there for a week at a time, I normally go to the places that serve Mexican food or maybe fresh sea food. I can get pizza, pasta and lasagna at home but I do make an exception for La Crema- their pizza makes a great late night snack along with a few cervezas and it's nothing like the pizza at home ........

Agree with lots of the other recommendations.....

Edited: 18 January 2013, 01:10
Michigan
Level Contributor
257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant reviews please.....

Alan,

I understood your post and your frustration that the post has become another thread on where to eat. That being said, we have ate at several excellent local places that are not listed under the restaurant section so there is no way for me to post a review. Maybe I'm missing something; is there a way for me to add a restaurant to the existing list? I would gladly do if I knew how.

Lisa

Get answers to your questions about Huatulco