We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Lady Selling Chicken Toy in La Crucecita :) Beware!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Old Lady Selling Chicken Toy in La Crucecita :) Beware!

Just a short story here about an encounter we enjoyed so much.

Anyone walking about La Crucecita will undoubtedly be approached by this short old woman selling her bookmarks, other little wooden items and her chicken toy. She swings the chicken toy while walking the street with such expertise that the little chicken heads pop up and down in perfect chaotic harmony. She speaks Spanish words that capture your attention, even if you are walking the opposite direction. O.K I'm drawn in, against my husbands protests.

I had to have a chicken toy!

"how much" I ask. " Just 5 dollars" she says. "In pesos" I ask, looking for the better deal. "65 pesos" she says.

Well, now there has to be a deal here, so I ask about two chicken toys and the price. " $10 dollars" she says. Flat expression and dancing eyes.

O.K I'm thinking..add on a freebee. "Two toys and a bookmark, how about $8 dollars?"... "no just $11 dollars $140 pesos" she immediately replies.

This lady knows her prices! She won't bend. I walk away, (husband thankful) and she LETS me!

I have to have that toy now...back I go. I buy one at the full $5USD plus a bookmark for $1 because her eyes are still dancing.

I played with it today and was smiling the whole time. Priceless.

berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Lady Selling Chicken Toy in La Crucecita :) Beware!

LOL Beware indeed! She is probably the same lady who sold me a molinillo several years ago. (a wooden stirring tool used for hot chocolate.....) When I wanted another one on my next trip, she didn't have any with her. But somehow a day or 2 later, in the middle of our booze cruise (7 bay tour) she found me on the beach at Maguey and waved me out of the water. She had the molinillo and so of course I had to buy it at full asking price..........

Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
647 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Lady Selling Chicken Toy in La Crucecita :) Beware!

~ she found me on the beach at Maguey and waved me out of the water.~

It never ceases to amaze me that even though you may have only spoken to a Merchant or Taxi Driver or a Server once for a minute or two...they ALWAYS remember your face and most times your name too! That blows my mind! How do they do that? Or a few times they have found my Husband and said "I found the braclet your wife was looking for, where is she"?

I love Mexico so much and that is one of the reasons.....Such friendly people!

Edited: 01 February 2013, 20:23
Port Perry, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Lady Selling Chicken Toy in La Crucecita :) Beware!

I agree whole heartedly. The vendors on the beach are a great joy. They remember us from year to year. That amazes me. I really get annoyed when someone is rude to them. They are a big part of the Huatulco experience for me.

Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
647 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Lady Selling Chicken Toy in La Crucecita :) Beware!

In PV I once watched a group of "adults" get this merchant on the beach to unfold every single HEAVY blanket that he carried on his back. And took up a good half hour of his valuable time! Only to say no thanks! I was dumb founded and pi$$ed off to say the least at that group. As the guy was packing up to leave I walked over to him and the group of "Adults" and said I'd love to buy one of your blankets. He then proceeded to start all over again to show me what he had to sell.....I said oh no need for that and I just picked anyone. Paid him, thanked him and turn around to the group of "Adults" and said " you all should be ashamed of yourselves".... They laughed at me. And the peddler shook my hand! At that moment I was ashamed to be Canadian because I new where that group came from!

Edited: 02 February 2013, 15:13
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
349 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Lady Selling Chicken Toy in La Crucecita :) Beware!

Good for you beechwalkers, what a decent thing to do!

Some people are so inconsiderate and obnoxious, and you're right, it does cast a bad light on Canadians in general - so thank you for making a stand on behalf of those of us who would never behave that badly.

And thanks for the chicken story bryna123 - made me laugh as I was expecting another "rip-off" thread : )

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
298 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Lady Selling Chicken Toy in La Crucecita :) Beware!

The kind of behaviour described above casts a bad light on those human beings - not Canadians in general. Every nationality has its poorly-behaved individuals. Just my opinion!!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Lady Selling Chicken Toy in La Crucecita :) Beware!

And the 5 or 6 bucks bought the family somthing they needed for supper or school.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Lady Selling Chicken Toy in La Crucecita :) Beware!

bryna123 thanks for the smile, I immediately looked over at my own momento on my desk from a similar experience. At the time you just have no idea how many smiles you are buying.

And unfortunately I agree with Nez46, would love to say "Only the Canadians might act that way". Sadly I can't poor behavior comes in all nationalities.

Denver, CO USA
Level Contributor
407 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Lady Selling Chicken Toy in La Crucecita :) Beware!

I agree that it doesn't matter what nationality you are. Rudeness crosses all borders., My horror story took place in Zihua. We were at a beach bar/restaruant and one lady ordered a Strawberry Margarita. The server returned and told her they were out of strawberries. She responded by saying "Then go get some". The owner got in his vehicle and drove away. I was appalled!!!! As we walked out past this horrific group I said "You should all be ashamed of yourselves." I couldn't believe what I had just witnessed. If they were anywhere else would they have insisted that the restaraunt owner do this? I think not! Needless to say WE left a sizable tip, mainly because WE were embarrassed over this incident and thought it was the least we could do.

Edited: 05 February 2013, 23:50
Canada
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Old Lady Selling Chicken Toy in La Crucecita :) Beware!

Sadly Being away from home can make some people feel like they are entitled since they " paid good money for this trip"

this story is a real shocker!

http://m.gawker.com/5981659/three-members-of-belligerent-canadian-family-arrested-for-smoking-mid+flight

It's an embarrassment to say these people are from Canada, but in the end, thankfully,it is not a reflection on the majority. Some interesting comments at the end of the story.