We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Castillo or Crown Pacific

Wyoming, Illinois
Level Contributor
223 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Castillo or Crown Pacific

Both places are coming in really cheap so we thought we'd jump on one. Any thoughts?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Castillo or Crown Pacific

After four years at the Crown, my husband and I tried the Castillo this past Dec. The Crown just wasn't up to scratch the last time. We really loved the Castillo and am trying to fit in another visit before the end of the season. Being in Santa Cruz was terrific and we found we went out to other beaches and restaurants a lot more. The Castillo is quaint and very friendly. We had been disappointed with the attitude of the management at the Crown and people on the shuttle bus going back to the airport, who had stayed at the Crown said they would never go back. We found that the Crown catered to the time share visitors or the ones they thought might sign up. We did miss the animation staff at the Crown. But the staff at the Castillo is terrific and it can't be beat for value. Just my two cents worth. If I was going to try a similar hotel, it would be the Villa Blanca.

Wyoming, Illinois
Level Contributor
223 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Castillo or Crown Pacific

How would you compare the food ? We are not picky.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Castillo or Crown Pacific

We actually liked the food better at the Crown, although reports coming in of late don't always give a good review. The Castillo had good lunches at the beach club, great fish, but we thought some of the dinners were a bit different, ie short on veggies. They were adequate enough, tho. We went in to town for some dinners, which were cheap and plentiful. With what we paid, we knew the food wouldn't be gourmet and we aren't picky, either. The bartender at the Castillo, Gustavo, is a most friendly and accomdating fellow and it was fun to chill in the lobby with a cold beer or two. I wish I was there right now since we are knee deep in snow.

sask. ca
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Castillo or Crown Pacific

We stayed at the Crown on our first trip in 08, the next 2 trips were at the Castillo, 2010 and 11.

We will be back to Huatulco, just needed to see some other places, and I would stay at the Castillo again in a heartbeat.

As others have posted, the hotel is spotless, and the employees are great. But be advised, it is not party happening place. No nightly entertainment, no pool games etc. It is not beach front, and no spectacular views. However, you are right across the street to the Marina, great for that morning stroll, watching the marina come alive.

The food at the castillo in our experience has always been very good. Perhaps a little more mexican, than other spots, but always hot and IMO when not preparing food for thousands, maybe a little more fresh. I'm a picky eater and I always found something to eat.

So, in a nutshell, if you are looking for a smaller, CLEAN, older, non - mega resort, this would work like a charm.

berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Castillo or Crown Pacific

One huge advantage to staying at the Castillo is that you will be close to all the wo drful restaurants in Santa Cruz, LaCrucecita and Chahue. I would skip the AI since there are so many great places to eat within walking distance!

St. albert,Alberta
Level Contributor
918 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Castillo or Crown Pacific

I agree with "mariaguapa"........we stayed at the Crown Pacific 6 years ago (and I'm sure its changed) but at that time the food was far less than wonderful. We ended up eating out a fair bit and really enjoyed the restaurants in La Crucecita.

We're heading back in March and staying a the Villa Blanca. It gets great reviews, it includes a full breakfast and it leaves us free to enjoy our evenings dining out in the area. Can't wait!

7. Re: Hotel Castillo or Crown Pacific

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 06:18