We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunwing cancels Winnipeg flight

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sunwing cancels Winnipeg flight

We were to fly out of Winnipeg on March 26, returning April 2 (last flight of the season). Our travel agent called us and indicated that Sunwing has cancelled the flight. No explanation for the cancellation whatsoever from Sunwing. The flight was sold out, so it is difficult to fathom why it was cancelled.

Will have to fly out of another city now to get to Huatulco. More time involved and more cost. Wish Sunwing had competition!

Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
636 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunwing cancels Winnipeg flight

Well that friggin sucks! I'd be hounding Sunwing until I got an answer!

Not that it is going to change the outcome, but you could at least be able to Social Media what their excuse or reason is!

I'd be royally PO'd to say the least! I once had an issue with a promise that Sunwing had made to us and they "tried" to renege on it and I was like a dog with a bone.....With Trip advisor, FaceBook, Twitter,etc word gets around and it's not good for their business.

P.S. I got my promise back from Sunwing via Social Media!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunwing cancels Winnipeg flight

Out of Minneapolis, Sun Country has a nonstop going to Huatulco...

The drive from Winnipeg to MSP isn't too bad...unless there is a blizzard!!!

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunwing cancels Winnipeg flight

Sunwing flights / packages are still showing as being available for Saskatchewan departures.. The packages offered from Winnipeg for the week before are mucho discounted.. any chance you can sneak away a week earlier??

Winnipeg, Manitoba...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunwing cancels Winnipeg flight

Are you sure it was sold out? It seems as it gets closer to spring/summer it's harder to fill the planes. And as I seen seats available for the day before the March 5th flight, I have a hard time believing March 26th was sold out already. My guess would be that it wasn't near full, so they canceled it. However, that's just a guess, being the last flight of the season maybe it was sold out.

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunwing cancels Winnipeg flight

Yep good old Sunwing, we were going to fly to Cozumel from Toronto on April 1st and then they cancelled it, no warning, so now it's West Jet, a Little more money but more reliable.

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunwing cancels Winnipeg flight

I too question the "sold out" status... When this post first hit TA, I checked the one week flights / packages from Winnipeg, that were posted as of ( March 7th)... they had all been heavily discounted .. For all weeks leading up to your late March departure.

If it's any consolation.. I'm flying from Victoria to Regina this weekend for a visit... I could book a package from Regina to Huatulco for the same week.. lower in cost than my air only. Ah, family....ha,ha

Edited: 14 March 2013, 05:11
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,009 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunwing cancels Winnipeg flight

I am sure that they have an aircraft that is Out of Service, thus the Cancellations. The Charter outfits do not have extra planes sitting vacant, so a big mechanical issue would be the reason for the cancellations...

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunwing cancels Winnipeg flight

That may be.. our return flight in January was cancelled , reason given was mechanical... but re-scheduled for the following day. If a charter company losses one aircraft I understand the ramifications...In this instance the TA poster was told that the flight was " sold out".. I'm a little suspect .. if anything the flights could have been amalgamated with flights from Saskatchewan.. Sungwing has practised this in the past.

Manitoba
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunwing cancels Winnipeg flight

We were booked on the same flight March 26 flying from Winnipeg to Huatulco. When we received our phone call I immediately went on the internet along with our travel agent to see our options. Noticed a flight from Regina to Huatulco same dates on sale for 51% off with Sunwing. We received a full refund on our original trip and purchased new tickets flying out of Saskatchewan. Saved money but we were still upset about the cancellation and the three hours spent researching our options.

10. Re: Sunwing cancels Winnipeg flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 March 2013, 05:38
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco