We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

barcelo and gluten free?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,143 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
barcelo and gluten free?

i am looking at possibly booking the barcelo for new years for 2 weeks. My 6 year old is gluten free and needs to eat a gluten free diet. Does anyone know how this resort handles this kind of thing? anyone a celiac out there that went to this resort? any info woudl be appreciated... i was looking for email address and most of them seem to not work?

Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: barcelo and gluten free?

I will ask when we are there the week of April 14th. This is our 3rd time to the Barceló and we enjoy the resort and staff. Ted&Julie

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,143 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: barcelo and gluten free?

awesome thanks! i have wanted to go for so many years but now with this health issue, i need to go where it is the easiest for our son as he is so picky never mind having limitations now ...

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: barcelo and gluten free?

Both of our kids are celiacs so I fully understand your concerns. AI's are of particular concerns with all the potential cross contamination at buffets and then you throw in another language. A lot of Mexican food utilizes corn. My daughter who is now an adult and travels to Mexico on her own utilizes a GF translation card as obviously our Spanglish may not come across the right way. There are now many available for free. Just google gluten free translation card and then show it to the resort restaurant manager. Don't just talk to a server, ask for the head chef or restaurant manager. They are always most accommodating and when they see the card fully understand. You may want to take some GF cereal with you.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,143 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: barcelo and gluten free?

thx. i have heard about using these cards before, and i will bring snacks but we would be going for 2 weeks and i am not sure if this destination will be the right one, as much as i want to go.... i think a place like p.v. with a walmart might be better, so when we run out of snacks we can grab more and have things like yogurt even in the mini fridge, etc...

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: barcelo and gluten free?

I have an alllergy (not celiac) to wheat, gluten,eggs and some nuts. I have had no problems getting food in Huatulco and the staff (this year it was Binniguenda) are amazing and would go out of their way to bring me gluten free desserts....what great folks!! I just learned how to say(in Spanish) that I have an allergy to wheat and they totally understood what the issue was.....even the restaurants in town were great.

There is a large grocery store in town, Super Che, where you can get yogurt and other things for your fridge.

Edited: 22 March 2013, 15:10
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,143 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: barcelo and gluten free?

awesome and thanks for all that info, good to know since we have never been there before...

7. Re: barcelo and gluten free?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 05:17