We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams or Las Brisas... ?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,400 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Dreams or Las Brisas... ?

Well thanks to posters here have found decent flight options to get us to Huatalco , and in November which is when we want to go.. but now for the hotel part of the trip.

Definately want an all inclusive. Have never stayed at one, but just want this holiday to be a very "easy" one, so thought we would give it a try.

We love the beach, swimming, snorkling, etc.. and a nice pool area doesn't hurt either.

Not totally into hordes of young kids,, ( we love them, have 5 but want a get away!) and not into drunken college type groups either..

We would prefer to not be too isoloated, so option to go into town to shop or just wander around would be easy, also perhaps to take some tours..

So, these hotels seem to be featured on several of the websites I have looked at .. ( Expedia, Sunwing, Redtag. etc) ..

Both seem nice.. but what do I know about All Inclusives.. nothing, thats what. lol

We hope for food that isn't crap.. we realize buffets can get boring, but more so if filled with tinned corn and rice.

Anyways, rambling a bit.. just stuck between these two hotels.. reveiws seem about same . some love them, some like them , some think they are ok, , one or two grumpy pants , so anyone care to weigh in with personal thoughts on hotels or locations??? .

Calgary
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreams or Las Brisas... ?

Hi Joan. My family and I are about to book our 4th trip to Las Brisas Huatulco. As you've read in other posts the hotel is showing its age but in my opinion it makes up for it with excellent staff and the kind of laid back, safe, friendly environment we look for. There typically aren't too many kids milling about, certainly not enough to become annoying, but there are usually a couple that my kids will go play with. You'll find a fair number of "locals" in Huatulco coming from Mexico City for a vacation - and they are all very friendly and kind. My boys were playing in the pool with a couple young Mexican kids and they couldn't communicate verbally at all, but they got along so perfectly that it was awesome to watch. We find that there is enough food variety to keep us all happy (we're not overly picky eaters - otherwise we wouldn't go to Mexico). We went for a fishing trip a few years ago and brought back two fish to Las Brisas and the chef cooked them up for us .... absolutely amazing!!! Regardless which resort you stay in you should venture into town and try some of the restaurants there as well. We happened across one that didn't look like much from the outside but they served the most amazing red snapper we have ever had! We'll be returning there this year as well.

I have a friend that went to Dreams and he recommends it highly, but from what I understand, if you want a very relaxing beach where you can go into calm water for a swim or snorkelling, you should come to Las Brisas for sure because the beach at Dreams will get the waves crashing in regularly. We can see the red flags waving at Dreams as we snorkel in the protected bay at Las Brisas. However, if you want to spend a few more $$ for a bit of a newer complex and a bit of a more traditional resort layout, go with Dreams.

We'll be at Las Brisas Nov 26 to Dec. 3, perhaps we'll meet you there?

Clint

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreams or Las Brisas... ?

Oh my goodness, you may in fact see us there, we are playing with Nov 19t th or Nov 26th departures.. I think it looks like the nov 26th departure is a little less expensive.. I am just so looking forward to a holiday I am not sure I want to wait even one more week though. lol

Thanks for your run down., Las Brisas sounds lovely, I think its the type of place my hubby would prefer also,, hes not really a modern resort type fellow..

I am leaning towards Las Brisas because of the snorkling, we really enjoy that.. so , you never know Clint , you may see us down there.

Do you mind me asking which supplier you used to buy your trip ( did you purchase airfare seperately or did you get a package?)

Canada
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreams or Las Brisas... ?

Joan1

Las Brisas is a great choice, but I think any choice in Huatulco is a good one! Be aware of the walking involved, as it is a huge resort. Lots of birds and foliage to enjoy.Food is pretty good, and with a buffet, you can always find something you enjoy. Don't feel bad if you have to get another plate, you can sample lots of new things. Taxis to the town are cheap. Read lots of reviews from each rating category and it will give you a good feel if this is the place for you. We enjoyed Las Brisas, better than AI resorts in the Yucatan, but have chosen not to go back. Instead have chosen a smaller hotel in town this year. Seems to happen to a lot of repeat visitors!

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreams or Las Brisas... ?

Dreams 5 star Brisas 4 star. Dreams a Step up in class at all levels except the beach. IMHO

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreams or Las Brisas... ?

Well spent last two hours reading reviews of various places and frankly just getting exhausted and more confused. In Europe one simply finds a clean hotel , budget price and good location for sightseeing, but it seems for a Mexican vacation one really looks for the "whole package" as one is not touring sights all day long and will naturally spend alot more time in a hotel so things like the food, the pools , the beach are way more important

Las Brisas was top of list then started reading about pools being too small and no entertainment.. not sure even how much this would matter to us as I have never done a AI before .

UGh,,

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreams or Las Brisas... ?

There is another AI in the small town of Santa Cruz, the Castillo. This a great central location close to all amenities, beaches and restaurants. It is a more Mexican experience, with the food and fairly simple accomodations. They have a great beach club that has a shuttle service, as this property is not on the water.

Something else to to think about.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreams or Las Brisas... ?

You really need to think about how much time you spend in the water and snorkeling. If it is everyday then pick Las Brisas. If you want one or two snorkel experiences, then you will get that while visiting beaches around Huatulco.

Ukie is right, Dreams is a higher rated resort, and usually priced that way, so if price is the same and you want an AI experience, then Dreams may be the best choice this year.

Have fun deciding. Planning for me is half the vacation!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dreams or Las Brisas... ?

I would snorkle every day if conditions were good. I definately want a hotel on the beach,, not interested in walking carrying all my stuff back and forth to beaches in heat , and I just can't imagine not staying on the beach while on a beach holiday! lol

We have a small issue we have to work out.

I am being honest here.

I don't want a great authentic cultural experience, I simply want a week of being lazy, swimming, snorkling, no cooking, no cleaning, no hassles. I want a drink that stupid looking and great tasting, I want a comfy lounge chair and a good book. I just want a beach holiday. So shoot me for being shallow.

Partner wants to meet and become buddies with locals, find taverns that look like that are from the 50s mexican westerns and have a beer, , and eat street food... etc.. he wants to walk down side streets to see where they go, hes willing to jump on a local non air condtioned bus and travel for an hour somewhere,, with a kid in his lap that isn't his( he did this 15 yrs ago, literally got on a crammed bus and held a kid on his lap since there were no seats left) . Hes the cool "traveller " guy, and I am the "tourist" lady..

In short he wants a very casual small town holiday and I want a big fancy resort.. I was hoping

Las Brisas might be a compromise.

berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dreams or Las Brisas... ?

I think Huatulco is the perfect spot for what your husband is looking for and for you, Las Brisas has much nicer beaches than the one at Dreams. The taxis in Huatulco are very reasonable and it is really easy to get to town or do some exploring.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,629 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dreams or Las Brisas... ?

I agree with speed0.

Based on how you described your travel styles and needs and wants out of this vacation- I think it's location suits them best. You can either hang by the pool or head to the beach club (at Chahue) while your hubby strolls around town and meets you there later. He will be able to walk from the Castillo to either town and to the beach club, too.

Best of both worlds, still an AI but not a big, impersonal one that is remote like those on Tangolunda. Plus with the money you will save, you can do a few dinners out in town, which should also make him happy.