We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Junior Suite or Las Brisas Beach Club Suite?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Topic
Secrets Junior Suite or Las Brisas Beach Club Suite?

We are looking at returning to Huatulco in March for the first time in 9 years. Air Canada Vacations has a sale on right now with terrific rates. We have previously stayed at Crown Pacific and Camino Real, but this time we are looking at Secrets and Las Brisas. At Secrets we'd be booking just a basic junior suite, while at Las Brisas it would be a Brisas Beach Club suite. Las Brisas is about $700 cheaper than Secrets.

So I know Secrets is the more luxurious resort, but is the Brisas Beach Club suite nice enough to compete? We have stayed with both resort brands elsewhere (Secrets Maroma Beach and Brisas Acapulco and Brisas Las Hadas in Manzanillo) and had very good experiences at both.

Has anyone been to both? Which would you choose?

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Junior Suite or Las Brisas Beach Club Suite?

We have been to Huatulco for the last 9 years. Last February we went to Las Brisas (again) beach club for our 1st week and then over to Secrets for our 2nd week. We loved both resorts, for different reasons. We think doing a week at each was the best holiday we have done. And of course you can't beat the weather in Huatulco.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Junior Suite or Las Brisas Beach Club Suite?

Thanks for responding, LAnne-- you seem like the perfect person to pepper with more questions! :)

So we can only go for one week. I like the location, newness and amenities of Secrets; and I also like that it's adults-only. I like the three different beach areas, expansive grounds and BBC amenities at Las Brisas; I also like that Las Brisas is $600 cheaper overall.

If you could only do a one week trip and stay at one resort, which would you choose and why?

Winnipeg Mb
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Junior Suite or Las Brisas Beach Club Suite?

We are booked for 2 weeks at Las Brisas but were thinking about maybe switching the second week. We were not sure if this was possible, how much more it would cost, and would we regret it.

LAnne I would love to hear about the differences. We usually book Beach Club at Las Brisas.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,871 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Junior Suite or Las Brisas Beach Club Suite?

Like always there is a reason for the price difference. New vrs old. Best beach. No kids. Pool options between quiet and party. No contest.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Junior Suite or Las Brisas Beach Club Suite?

We love Las Brisas (have been there a number of times). The best things to us are the "mexician charm", beaches (we are in the ocean all day and everyday), staff, slower pace and cheap taxi to town. We tried the new Secrets for one week last year and it was great as well, but much different than Las Brisas. Secrets is new, more "upscale", very good restaurants, but more congested with people in the pool areas. Never got a chair on the beach :( We thought we had the best of both worlds by doing our first week at Las Brisas and then over to Secrets for a week of being "spoiled". Hint: do your trips to town when staying at Las Brisas, cabs are cheaper from there because its closer to the towns. Then you have extra $$ to spend in town. Honestly its the "charm" of the area and the people and weather that keeps us coming back. Hope this is helpful.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
691 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Junior Suite or Las Brisas Beach Club Suite?

Las Brisas' Club rooms have an amazing view, not much in the way of extra amenities in the rooms - rooms are larger than stanard , there is a good sized balcony or promenade (can't walk out), you can get a light breakfast in the morning in the Club Lounge, as well as happy hour snacks & drinks in early evening. You also get extra slips for ala carte restaurants. There is more variety of beaches, & Beach is not accessible to public, so no peddlars coming nonstop. Very easy to get palapa/umbrella

However...Club rooms are furthest away from restaurants/beach than the rest of the resort, food in buffet repeats a lot - would be noticible, even for one week stay, & for ala carte restaurants can only be reserved early in the day you want to go to them.

Secrets - I would not reccomend the extra cost for Secrets upgraded rooms, you are either sharing a swim pool /w everyone on your level , or a very small hot tub exposed on balcony & restricted view & there's already a whirlpool tub in every bathroom. The food is of a much higher caliber than Las Brisas, more variety of ala cartes & buffet also has more choices & better "Theme Nights" The beach is not quite as big, there are usually palapas /umbrellas available & b/c Secrets is further out from Tangolunda, not that many peddlars. The adults only factor is a big plus for my wife & I. I think the extra service, quality of Secrets is worth the extra cost & we will be returning for our second trip next year, after going to Las Brisas 4x previously. Also factored in for us is that there is no direct flight /w Las Brisas as an option from Winnipeg anymore & after being so pampered @ Secrets, if the option does return, we may still continue /w Secrets!

Alan & Tracy

Edited: 13 September 2013, 02:28
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Junior Suite or Las Brisas Beach Club Suite?

We are thinking of booking Secrets end of january next year. But really like the idea of a week at different resorts. Did you book that your self or TA. Plus when you were there was there much shade around the pool. I keep on reading not to many umbrellas.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Junior Suite or Las Brisas Beach Club Suite?

The lack of shade at Secrets is a concern for me too. Plus I've read a lot of reviews of people getting sick. I also looked at some videos on YouTube and the beach seems crowded.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Junior Suite or Las Brisas Beach Club Suite?

There is a video of a "brawl" over some beach chairs. LOL! Adults only needs to be better defined.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,871 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Junior Suite or Las Brisas Beach Club Suite?

The beach isn't crowded. The area to the West is seldom used. Yeah there will always be a bozo to provide video of. Sick? Any concentration of people increases germs. No reason to think this concentration is greater than, say, your flight.

Get answers to your questions about Huatulco