We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting flights

Newcastle Ontario...
Level Contributor
200 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting flights

Has anyone booked their flight from Toronto to Huatulco with connecting flights in Chicago then to Houston onto Huatulco? my concern is making the connections, landing in Chicago we would have 49 minutes to make our connection to Houston and 40 minutes to make our connection at Houston to Huatulco? I understand that each flight could be early or late but I was wondering if other travelers have done this flight and found it okay or if you had issues. We are traveling in January 17-25, it is considerable cheaper at this time for that flight (8 days) cost is $710.00 all in per person as opposed to flying January 18-25 direct with Air Canada cost $1065.00 (7 days) all in per person, so the savings is significant to put up with the 2 stops going and 1 returning. I would appreciate anyone's experience with this flight. Thanks Newcastle

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting flights

The stress and worry alone would turn me away from those connections! Time seems way too short, and for a 7 day trip you spend far too much time traveling and worrying.

Why not throw an AI option in and go direct, I see Castillo on Jan 21 for $1062 tax in with Sunwing.

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting flights

30 minutes is a legal connection in the world of airlines. The arrival times are "on the runway" so as long as you don't have too long to the gate you should be OK. The weather has to be in you favor and de-icing time will likely be in play in January. Both ORD and IAH are pretty good with the bag transfers and going down you pre clear US customs so you are domestic USA to IAH

We go through IAH from YYZ giving us about 1 1/4 hours for the HUX flight and about the same time on the flip side. United schedules change a lot now that they merged with Continental.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
285 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting flights

I fly every summer form Toronto to Mex. This year by dreaded Air Canada and booked Interjet from MEX to HUX. Lots of time to connect, grab a bite and scour the money changers for the best rate

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting flights

$ 836 with Air Transat leaving Jan 24th. Non stop from Toronto to Huatulco. Non stop stress. No concerns.

Never worth it to travel through the states. EVER ! If you tell the truth about smoking you are banned for 5 years min.

I was turned away just because they didn't like my attitude.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting flights

Sunwing (although they leave Tues. would be $1366 for BOTH. $683 each person. (50% off second person sale right now) NON- STOP

Sorry, but you are having a hard time to convince me why you would go through the USA.

Last year prices were less than $400 a few weeks out.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting flights

Agree with the others. Just take the charter, on the plane in Toronto, off the plane in Huatulco. I would be very concerned with your return flights. Sometimes it may take a couple of hours to clear customs and security in Houston...Did it once, never do it again.

Edited: 01 October 2013, 17:20
Winnipeg, Mb.
Level Contributor
475 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting flights

The closest I want to get to the Excited States is 35,000 ft........above it.........as I fly direct non-stop to some place friendlier......I hear these horror stories about Canadians being interrogated and patted down like criminals because they have a stamp on their passport from Cuba or Venezuela.......

Those gestapo cowboys have too much attitude for my liking.....

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecting flights

As one who has done the hippity hoppity flights I would also recommend the direct flights...it can be worth the extra bucks.

Last year, on our return from Huatulco, we had what we thought were great flights with lots of time in between...about and hour and a half layover in Houston. The plane left Huatulco late and our hour and half got cut to half an hour. We RACED through the Houston airport (luckily we had been there before and knew where to go)....made it through customs in record time and then hit a huge line at security. Those folks in Houston do know how to move a line, so with only minutes to spare we zoomed to our gate. It was then we found out it was delayed!! Let's just say it's an adventure that I don't want to repeat, and running on the moving walkways is something best left for 5 year olds!!

That being said we have never had any issues in the States.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecting flights

i don't have a problem with the people of the United States, I just don't enjoy the time spent going through their airports.

We did the Vancouver, Seattle, Houston, Huatulco a couple of years back. It was a three week vacation, so it seemed worth the savings and time. Twenty or so hours later we arrived in Huatulco, going back home was a nightmare, no way to end a great relaxing holiday. If the charter is an option, take it, even if it costs a couple of extra dollars.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
285 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Connecting flights

You guys are all correct about US CBP

Get answers to your questions about Huatulco