We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alto (stop) signs

montreal
Level Contributor
534 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Alto (stop) signs

While driving in or around Hautulco...when you come across a Alto sign( stop )....it actually means go right through and do not stop....

So if you are renting a scooter or car...........most , not all...the local population just go right thru those....

Just watch your mirrors and if someone is behind you...be careful

I stopped stopping at those alto signs when i almost got crunched...just keep your eyes open and drive right through those with caution ....

IMO.......as this was my experience driving there

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alto (stop) signs

They say the sign is just a suggestion. You're right that signs are loosely enforced in many areas, but do come into play for accidents and enthusiastic transitos (Traffic cops). I made it from Vancouver to Acapulco and back by following signs, albeit loosely. There are a few idiosyncrasies with driving that could crush your scooter including the infamous left turn signal and action. Care and caution is good advice.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alto (stop) signs

For those reasons I don't drive in Mexico. The rental/insurance/accident/police business there can be a scam too. Not worth it, unless you are living there, and understand all the issues.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alto (stop) signs

I remember our guide telling us they were just a suggestion, but he said,mainly because of the lack of development. Seems the roads and traffic signs all went in but the housing hasn't caught up. So driving along a stretch of road that has numerous stop signs, with no traffic, becomes pointless to stop.

I didn't think he meant all of Mexico was a suggestion.

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alto (stop) signs

I drive through Mexico to my home in Huatulco every year now for the last 13 years

Much prefer Mexican drivers (yes they are aggressive) but they are more aware and will always stop to help if one is pulled over

Alto mean yield but stop lights must not be ignored

No one stops even in Mexico City for a Alto sign

again much preferred over the states or Canada where one will stop at a sign but not complete enough for the local cop and still get a ticket

Wayne Overby

Villa Sol y Mar

(House of the Sun & Sea)

Edited: 16 November 2013, 15:58
5. Re: Alto (stop) signs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2014, 05:18