We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spices

Canada
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Spices

Where can I buy fresh ground spices? Once in Puerto morales I took a cooking class and they sold spice that was grown and ground by the local village. I bought a Mexican chili mix that is crazy good to make enchilada sauce and I need to replenish.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spices

My guess is that the locals buy their spices at Super Che.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spices

I wouldn't think they travel in from the mountains for spices. I'm not interested in Suoer Che, sounds too much like our Suoer Store.

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spices

The Fruit Market (Fruver) has spices

Wayne Overby

Villa Sol y Mar

(House of the Sun & Sea)

berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spices

There is a market in la crucecita with a ton of different stalls. You should be able to find what you are looking for there.

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spices

The covered market just a stones throw away from the Zoloco is the place to go..

This is always on my first stop/ last stop spot to hit. There are two Ladies that have street front stalls that are my Go to Gals. Bags of roasted peanuts with chilies and garlic..Ooh, so good to snack on with a side or two of Azul. There are plastic bags filled with ooey gooey-licious moles, fragrant cummin, oregano..and dried peppers...huge variety!

Edited: 30 November 2013, 05:37
Canada
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spices

Suze, that sounds like the place to go. I will look for it, must be close to the Castillo?

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spices

At Pearson as I write this. Boarding in an hour for another trip to our favorite destination. Will be checking out the market for sure!

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spices

"Suze, that sounds like the place to go. I will look for it, must be close to the Castillo?"

If it is the market I'm thinking of, it is just a half a block East from the North East corner of the town square. Based on the images in Streetview from 2012, it is painted orange and has "Mercado Municipal 3 De Mayo" on it.

If you want to check it out use Google Streetview or Google Earth and drag the "man" down to the NE corner of the square (Zoloco) and then click about a half block down from the corner. It is almost like being there (if I don't look out at the snow here).

A lot of tourist type stuff there, but there may also be what you are looking for. Knowing what you want in Spanish would be very helpful. Not all of the merchants there speak fluent English.

Edited: 30 November 2013, 15:42
Canada
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spices

Awesome street views with Google Earth, thanks!

Boise Idaho
Level Contributor
819 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spices

If you can't find what you're looking for, I'm confident you'd have success at the big market in Pochutla.. especially on Monday, market day. Pochutla is about 20 miles west of the airport.

Get answers to your questions about Huatulco