We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typical Crowd, Las Brisas mid January?

Elliot Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Typical Crowd, Las Brisas mid January?

Will be there mid jan for 2 weeks and am wondering what type of crowd to expect there at this time of year. Meaning will it be booked solid...young...older...typically one nationality or mixed...any Europeans frequent this area (very interesting people). Should we expect chaos or tranquillity. We travel with another couple, one of which likes to browse/purchase beach vendor items occasionally, is this available here. Was also wondering if there are needy locals that we may be able to help out with clothing. ie: would it be considered an insult if we brought clothing that we give to charities here at home or is it accepted there somewhere locally. We have 2 daughters that discard and buy new clothing like its their day job.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
844 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Typical Crowd, Las Brisas mid January?

We arrived the 3rd week of January last year, it was not crazy busy. There were always loungers available by the beaches. There was a mix of Canadian,Mexican, U.S and very few European. Since the Las Brisas beaches are only accessible through the hotel there really are not any vendors selling the usual stuff. I am sure someone will be able to comment on the clothing donations. There are many great organizations that are helping the local people, especially for the children. We have taken books, soccer balls etc for a small village school, which was appreciated by the teachers.

Edited: 16 December 2013, 07:50
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,714 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Typical Crowd, Las Brisas mid January?

I don't think you can get anything more random that a world wide vacation resort. The qualifier is fewer school aged kids on non vacation weeks. Some hotels, Secrets for certain, have donation boxes at the front desk. They know how to distribute items in a manner that ensures donors don't cross into any culturally sensitive area associated with donations. Worst case, taxi to Secrets and leave things there.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
348 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Typical Crowd, Las Brisas mid January?

Las Brisas does not have beach vendors due to the location, but they do have a "market" night where local merchants set up tables throughout the lower lobby areas...

We were there mid-February and I would guess the crowd would be similar mid January. About 1/2 Mexican nationals (including a couple of large conferences) and 1/2 Canadian/American... but definitely more Canadians.

Because the resort is so large and spread out - it never feels chaotic. You can always find a quiet piece of beach or pool depending on the time of day.

Enjoy your stay!

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Typical Crowd, Las Brisas mid January?

My information about Las Brisas is a bit dated, but I would not agree with AlegreVancouverBC, and would go further to suggest the makeup of guests is far from random. We were at Las Brisas the first time for a week starting with New Years day. The makeup was probably 75% Canadian and 25% Mexican. 0% American and I recall 1 lady from the UK. The second time which was 3 years ago in mid December, the ratio was about the same with mostly Canadians but the ratio switching to about 75% Mexicans the closer we got to Christmas. Guessing a bit for mid January, but my guess is that with vacations over with, the crowd would be back to mostly Canadians again.

Last week at Secrets, it probably started at 70% Canadian, 25% Mexican, and a handful of US and Russians. Again as we got closer to Christmas it increased to the point where Mexicans were clearly the majority, with Canadians perhaps down to 40%.

The reason the crowd is predictable is availability of flights and packages. Virtually every big city in Canada has direct or near direct flights to Huatulco. Chicago seems to be the only place in the US that offers good packages. The increase in US folks is a noticeable change from 3 years ago, when it was near zero. Everyone we met flew out of Chicago.

The other issue is the airport. The runway is too short for a direct flight from Europe, so almost zero Europeans. I do believe I heard some Russian being spoken though.

Mexicans of course have good flight connections from Mexico city and they are efficient at it. When we were in the airport yesterday a Mexican airline, landed, unloaded, and took off again with return passengers in 30 minutes. Our Transat flight took 90 minutes to turnaround!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Typical Crowd, Las Brisas mid January?

Last January, 3rd week, when we were there, a couple huge Mexican conventions were being held. Most Canadians were found on the snorkel beach, and at that buffet for breakfast. We hung at the activity beach a lot and saw very few Canadians, so it seemed to us always 75% Mexican. It only ever felt crowded at night in the bar area.

6. Re: Typical Crowd, Las Brisas mid January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco