We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waking/running routes

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Waking/running routes

Hi! My sister and I will be staying at Dreams in Feb. We like to get up early and go for walks/runs. I realize that the resort isn't big enough to go for a long walk but are their routes we can take just off the resort?

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
517 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waking/running routes

Walk out the gate entrance and turn left or right. You can walk/run miles in both directions on excellent wide sidewalks. Right will take you to Secrets and further, left will take you all the way to Santa Cruz.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waking/running routes

Thanks! How far is it to Santa Cruz?

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waking/running routes

Every second day hubby and I walk into tangolunda and back from the Castillo. We can do this walk in about 50 min each way with a few water breaks

I would guess it is about 5km

Bring water

Edited: 18 December 2013, 16:25
Alberta
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waking/running routes

See the map below which has a scale on it. I believe there may be a sidewalk along the road from Dreams to Secrets, but not 100% sure. There should be one going the other way from Dreams to Santa Cruze. There is some significant construction though between Dreams and Secrets, which I doubt will be done by February. Some run along the beach. Playa Tangolunda, which you will be on, is quite long. The sand is not easy to run on, and is coarse. The only part that is reasonable to run on will be at least damp, so good fitting water shoes would be needed. It won't be easy, but if the purpose is exercise it will certainly work! Plan on running in the early morning as midday temperatures were hitting 37C there last week. It was going as low as 16C at night though.

http://www.tomzap.com/map_huat.html

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waking/running routes

There is a sidewalk from dreams to bocana beach

Edited: 18 December 2013, 17:12
Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
517 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waking/running routes

Stick to the sidewalk outside the resort, the beach is at best a good walk, but not a good run for those who are looking for a longer and uninterrupted run. Going toward Santa Cruz will give you a chance to have a cold drink, or a coffee at the end before you turn around and a chance to grab a taxi if you change your mind. Head towards the right and you will go on a long and excellent boulevard all the way to la Bocana. Both ways are excellent , get out and explore, we are here most of the winter and see no significant blockage or construction other than in the Santa Cruz area, which is minimal.

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waking/running routes

Beach running, nothing finer...as long as you have a long fine stretch and the sand is flat... Not to be found on the beaches of Huatulco. Either the expanse is too short or the integrity is not runnable .

The entire area is a runners dream... Get up early, before the birds.. and head on out.. any direction... A real treat! A stellar run is from Dreams to Bocana. I've heard that the entire landscape of La Bocana has changed since last year.. it would be interesting to see some photos/ reviews... If the beach has extended, at low tide this would be a sweet spot for a run.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waking/running routes

Suzetravels wrote "I've heard that the entire landscape of La Bocana has changed since last year.. it would be interesting to see some photos/ reviews... If the beach has extended, at low tide this would be a sweet spot for a run."

If you want a photo of what it currently looks like PM me with an e-mail to send it to. We took a few shots from the Copalita Ruins trail and lookout point, and also from one of the bars at La Bocana. You could run on the sand bar there but not a real long way. We stopped for a couple of cerveza and I had a chat with the owner (Andy?) of the bar/hotel on the left as you face the water. He had a backhoe/loader there that day helping to restore the area in front of his property. The public wall and the wall on the other restaurant is very badly damaged. Not sure what the sand and beach used to look like but it is not that bad now. Kind of a sand bar extending down toward the Colalita river and some lagoon areas behind it. A couple of rafts from the river pulled up when we were there.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waking/running routes

Some La Bocana pics for suzetravels end of Nov.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5lvcop-Xy8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA-1OgT8Ctw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHUnHf22SnU

Poor quality with my smart phone but there are about 12 people surfing as well as a tour group of about 8 people in their 50's and 60's boogie boarding.

Great way to spend a morning and have a couple drinks ,with an easy 19 minute walk from Secrets.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waking/running routes

Here is a link to a photo I posted on a photography forum I participate in. This is what La Bocana looked like on December 13 from the Ruins viewpoint.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52756559