We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plan # 2 after Missing Flight

Canada
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Plan # 2 after Missing Flight

Hi all.

We are not going to Huatulco due to the delays in Toronto. We tried to re-book for Saturday but the flight has only 1 seat left. Leaving next Wednesday didn't work for our vacation times. I don't need to tell everyone here how much I was looking forward to this trip, but...

Bright side is I called Air Canada Vacations this morning and a VERY nice girl named Brittany re- booked us to Ixtapa at the Las Brisas for only $57 more p.p. We leave Friday - overnight in Montreal, then fly Montreal direct to Ixtapa Saturday morning! This flight originally was to go through Toronto but has been re routed.

Now, I am new to this area and I hoped some could offer anything in the way of things to do and hints or tips. I could post on that forum, but figured a lot of you here have been there and I may get better answers :)

New countdown begins....!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plan # 2 after Missing Flight

Lucky you!

The Las Brisas is really nice and has great sunset views....we have never stayed there, we usually stay in Zihuatanejo in a condo or hotel now, and not in Ixtapa, but we have stayed in AIs in Ixtapa twice.

This hotel is at the far end of the long beach, Playa Palmar, sort of on a point and the side of a mountain. Are you AI, because I think it is optional there? Sounds like it is a nice, quiet hotel, I think all rooms have balconies. Beach is more private than the main beach and calmer too, at least at certain times of the year. (The main beach in Ixtapa where the hotel strip is can get a bit rough!)

Weather = amazing. Not quite as hot and dry as Huatulco. Greener in the hills.

Across the street from all the high rise hotels is a bunch of shops and several restaurants. There are a few timeshare sharks there (none to speak of in Zihua, though) but they are fairly laid back and easily put off with a "no, gracias".

Go on over to the Zihua/Ixtapa boards and search on Las Brisas....it is popular hotel and there are lots of threads about it.

chicago
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plan # 2 after Missing Flight

Man, bryna I really feel for you! I would be so upset! If we were to have had a trip scheduled for this past weekend, I doubt we would've been able to get out of Chicago. Look on the bright side, at least you still get to get away to somewhere warm. I have been to Ixtapa several times, but not for at least 6 years. In fact, if I couldn't get a decent price for Huatulco this spring, Ixtapa would've been my next option. Weather is comparable, it will still be hot, beach isn't as swimmable (most times) but longer to walk on. There are places to eat across the street that we would go for breakfast (don't know if you're doing AI or not), usually stayed at the hotel for lunch and always went into Zihua for dinner. I know Rissask goes to Zihua a lot, maybe she will see your post, otherwise, I would definitely post on their forum. Like I said, it's been awhile since we were there so I'm sure some things have changed. Good luck!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plan # 2 after Missing Flight

hee hee, I sure did! *blush*

Playamomma is right about the beach in Ixtapa.

But there are some other good swimming and/or snorkeling beaches in the area....from Las Brisas it is a cheap taxi ride to the next bay where Isla Ixtapa is (I think you should be able to see this offshore island from the Las Brisas, looking north). You go to the Playa Linda pier, then water taxi to the small island. There are four beaches on it, Playa Coral is the snorkeling beach with a reef. Quite a few rustic enremada restuarants there.

Also you can head into Zihua bay for a beach day or two- either to Playa la Ropa where there are lots of beach clubx/restaurants (Elviras is our favourite) or to the main pier where you can take a water taxi over to the far side of the bay to Playa las Gatas which also has several beach restaurants (like Entrega or Maguey) and an offshore reef to snorkel.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plan # 2 after Missing Flight

Thanks, it will be a crash course for me. I spend months reading and this will be new way to travel for me :) We will be AI same as Castillo booking.

How is snorkeling and diving in the area? That was our main activity we had planned for Huatulco.

Hehe, we are crossing posts! Thanks for the snorkel info Rissack

Edited: 08 January 2014, 16:34
berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plan # 2 after Missing Flight

Definintely plan on spending some time in Zihua- in my opinion, Zihuatenejo is the best part of Ixtapa- 2 destinations in one, really! And at least a day on Isla Ixtapa at the coral beach- ask for Ismael and tell him Maria says Hi. It's been several years but he remembered me last time I was there. Best beach waiter EVER! He gave me the rock star treatment and the people I was with were kind of in awe, to be honest! It was cute but maybe you had to be there ..... Setting up a special table, lounge chairs and umbrellas just for me and my friends while we had other friends kind of buried back on the "hill" wondering what I did to deserve such special treatment. Nothing really but I'd been there 3 times before and he was always our waiter and he always took good care of us and we took good care of him when it was time to settle up the tab.

You'll have a great time, but I'm sorry you won't be getting your Huatulco fix ............

There are some wonderful restaurants in Zihua if you feel the need for an evening "off the reservation"!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plan # 2 after Missing Flight

"How is snorkeling and diving in the area? That was our main activity we had planned for Huatulco."

It is about the same as Huatulco. Not bad for the Pacific side, nowhere near as good as the Mayan side, particularly Cozumel.

Visibility for diving is best in Zihua in December and January, apparently. We dove once in August and it was not good at all, due to the rivers flooding into the ocean causing a 'mud line' to flow outward from the mouths. But winter is much better.

Carlos Scuba is a well- reviewed operator, located on Las Gatas beach in Zihua Bay. Read more on what to expect and see the dive sites on their website, here:

http://www.carloscuba.com/what-to-expect/

Snorkeling is best outside of the reef at Las Gatas and at Playa Coral on Isla Ixtapa. Go early to Playa Coral, as the tide goes out and parts of the reef are exposed, plus you get the snorkel tour people. We also snorkeled around the rocks at the far eastern end of La Ropa beach. It is about the same as Entrega snorkeling.

Do you fish? Fishing is where Zihua really shines. Hubby and his sister and her husband caugh five sailfish in one day in mid December when we were there (all catch and release, we got the tags to mail into California).

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plan # 2 after Missing Flight

We dove with 'Adventure Divers', read the reviews here:

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g150795-d16…

Canada
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plan # 2 after Missing Flight

The plot thickens....for the worst I'm afraid.

After having this booked this morning, an agent called to notify us it was NOT all inclusive. Why they would think that would be a comparable trip is beyond me. The first agent never indicated otherwise to me. I have been on that phone all day speaking to agents and trying to find anywhere in Mexico we can get to this week. I am exhausted by this red tangled Air Canada Vacation red tape. They could only offer us (without paying more again) a trip to the Fontan in Ixtapa. Or a credit for future travel, and that was not what we wanted. We just want to get away!

We are prepared to make the best of this 3 star place. There will be sun and sand. I hope its clean. I'm afraid we are paying too much as I would never book this place at the price we ended up paying of $1150 pp

berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plan # 2 after Missing Flight

Make the best of it. I stayed at the Fontan years ago and we were there because the price was right. Truthfully, the hotel was for sleeping and showering. We didn't do AI and didn't even spend that much time on the beach because we "discovered" Zihua 2 days in to our trip. But it was clean and comfortable enough for us but dated. I don't recall eating there at all so I can't really comment on the food. We ended up at a place down the street for.a late breakfast apart everyday and a different restaurant for dinner every night.

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plan # 2 after Missing Flight

Please do not hate Me,, we were booked to fly to Toronto yesterday aft., we were at airport about 4 hrs early,,,, flight cancelled at 4:00 p.m. Had to try and make a 10:10 a.m. Flight this morning, jumped in vehicle headed for the 200 mile trek,,,,, thought I could make it,,, the Police had road closed and no suggested time for a re-open,, spent night midway... Anyways thanks for cordless phones and speakers,,, we spoke to Brittany also, great patience shown. By AC reps,,, we got last 2 seats for Saturday, the 10:10 flight to Hualtuco still has not departed 16:10 EST. The resort did not cooperate with Air Canada,,,