We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

destination wedding in Nov 2014

Grande Prairie...
12 posts
Save Topic
destination wedding in Nov 2014

We re looking to have our wedding this coming Nov in Huatulco.

We have been to mayan rivera twice. Both times were great. Stayed at dreams tulum and grande bahia principe. Has anyone stayed at one of those but also has stayed in huatulco. I'd love to have a comparison myself as many reviews differ. We re looking at las brisas, barcelo, dreams, secrets. I

We do enjoy a place with good food and service (esp bar haha). Its also nice to have the option to "disapear" for a bit if you wanna chill just with you significant other away from "it

all". ANY SUGGESTIONS ? ;)

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Rocoto
££ - £££, Seafood
West Park Cafe
££ - £££, Cafe, International
Restaurant Mercader
££ - £££, International, Asian, Thai
Alberta
Level Contributor
3,732 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: destination wedding in Nov 2014

Have stayed at Gran Bahia Principe Akumal twice, Las Brisas twice, and Secrets once. None of those were weddings though. First off, in November, you are in the transition from the rainy season to the dry winter season. The biggest plus of Huatulco over Riviera Maya is the weather, but in November you are rolling the dice a bit. On the up side, I believe November is the off season and your pricing should be as good as it gets. Don't know where you plan to fly out of, but packages to Huatulco can be scarce before December, and some years hard to find even in December. Finding commercial flights out of Edmonton is hard, and not a good option to count on.

Of those three resorts we have been to, I would say Huatulco Secrets would do the best job of a wedding and have the best facilities. It will also likely be the most expensive. That is if the vacation club sales on site does not turn you off. If you find my review of Secrets and look at the pictures you will see a small wedding taking place in one shot that includes the pool and a sunset. The food is great at Secrets, and easily the best at any AI we have stayed at. That said Las Brisas is nice too, and they have a lovely outdoor spot near the hidden beach which is relatively private and scenic for weddings. Las Brisas is a 3.5 star and in an AI package the food is not up to that of Secrets. However, for the wedding meal, you will get what you pay for, better wine, etc...

Las Brisas is more of an authentic Mexican resort with more atmosphere in my opinion. Secrets is more Americanized and sterile (minimalist styling). Las Brisas covers a very large area and is essentially closed to the public, unlike most other resorts in the area. But Secrets is brand new and has excellent rooms and facilities. Las Brisas is over 30 years old, and some parts of it is showing the age. It had a major refurbishment a few years ago, and still is nice.

If other countries are on your list for consideration, I would also suggest the Majestic Colonial at Punta Cana, and Paradisus Princesa del Mar in Varadero. Packages to there may be more available in November. The Majestic Colonial does a lot of weddings.

Hope that helps some.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 16:02
Mentioned in this post
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe...
10,611 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Las Brisas Huatulco
Las Brisas Huatulco
4,997 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa
Paradisus Princesa del...
6,523 Reviews
Cuba
Grande Prairie...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: destination wedding in Nov 2014

thx :)

Ontario
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: destination wedding in Nov 2014

this may be a little late, but I have recently confirmed my wedding at Dreams Huatulco for January 2015. Although I will be travelling from Toronto to Huatulco with Air Canada Vacations, in my searches, I found that there were direct flights from Edmonton to Huatulco through Sunwing. I did look into secrets huatulco, but it seems like there is no action there in the evenings and the median age of guests was 50. I suspect the resort would be very nice, but Dreams appears to fit best with the group I am bringing.

Depending on how involved you want to get, I would recommend you contact Sunwing directly and book through them, rather than going through an agent. It ended up costing me $150.00 less pp, because I agreed to do the leg work - collect names, credit card info, etc, and submit to Sunwing. It's surprising how much you will end up paying pp for a wedding group - more than everyone thinks.

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: destination wedding in Nov 2014

Although I've been to Akumal, can't comment on any resorts because I don't do AI or big resorts if I have any choice. But the weather in November should be gorgeous. Just off the rainy season so everything is still lush and green but highly unlikely you will see a drop of rain. And as Ron pointed out, until Thansgiving you can take advantage of low season pricing. Great time to visit Huatulco!

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
5. Re: destination wedding in Nov 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 04:17