We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How are the Professor protest affecting the coast?

Montreal
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
How are the Professor protest affecting the coast?

I don't get the how the university prof. protest affecting the coast. I read in the Epoch Times one Canadian tourist was killed but where? So many beaches.

Ulise the Governor sounds horrible.I read he sent undercover agents to hurt the protestors. so sad.... Roberto, you can enlighten us on this?

Ottawa advises against travel to Oaxaca, Mexico

29/08/2006 6:08:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Printer-friendly page

OTTAWA (CP) - The Foreign Affairs Department is advising travellers to stay clear of the city of Oaxaca in southern Mexico where striking teachers and other groups have held protests since May.

"The situation remains tense," the department said in an online advisory. There have been arson attacks, vandalism, violence and one reported fatality.

Surrounding areas have also been hit by protests, and traffic to the Oaxaca airport has been disrupted.

Canadians who live in the region should avoid places where demonstrations might occur "as onlookers can be quickly drawn in," the advisory says.

"Canadians are reminded that the Mexican constitution prohibits political activities by foreigners (such as participating in demonstrations), and such actions may result in detention and-or deportation."

On the web: www.voyage.gc.ca.

Montreal
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How are the Professor protest affecting the coast?

I re-read the article the Canadian wasn't killed at a nondescript "beach in the south "but robbed at knifepoint but when he went to ask the police if he would run after the thief, the police man said- they're many policemen left here- they're all in Oaxaca city.

I guess that's it affects tourists on the coast.

When I mentioned Ulises the governor wanted to hurt protestors I read he called in undercover agents to assasinate!Fox called it an economic disaster but anyone who knows Oaxaca state already knows it's already poor being teh secodn poorest state in the country.

Alot of plain ppl, students, aboriginal groups support the Professors, even business men who had their windows smashed seem to because of this governor.

That's all I know

Huatulco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Huatulco
Level Contributor
981 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How are the Professor protest affecting the coast?

Hi Saffron,

I´m afraid I can´t enlighten you to what goes on in Oaxaca, I don't really follow the national news.... strange actually, come to think of it.

I have not noticed any effects here in Huatulco. I have heard from someone that a supermarket had run out of a certain item because they don't get all the deliveries they would like from Oaxaca City.

Haven´t heard of anybody being robbed at knife point here in Huatulco (or anywhere else for that matter)....

Roberto

www.hurricanedivers.com

Montreal
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How are the Professor protest affecting the coast?

Hello Roberto,

I made some publicidad for you from my experience in my review of a hotel. I am glad you understood all my previous posts.

Thanks for replying.

I was thinking this not named beach of the South are probably Zipolite or PE which have a different reputation prior to this.

We felt very safe in Huatulco.

Though May- August is very long for the occupation of the zocalo(very tenacious because they were ignored for so long) compared to European " building occupations" of the late 60s. I hope no one gets hurt there from govt forces.

If you don't get this in your national news, imagine the rest of us. Pretty much ignored.

I hope some economic changes can come from this since Oaxaca deserves better - infrastructure, I dunno what the professors and students are protesting per se but I am sure years of neglect.But the whole lixtec population is behind them spiritually. And the protest have nothing to do EZLN.

Just normal civil Zulliegs (throw in some Dutch for you) pillars of civil society (organizations, students, professors, labourers, Indigineous Mixtecos - I dunno about the Catholic Church whom they are aligned with, in Central America with the poor/people with in elite sectors of South America, the American protestant missionaries are more recticent about such matters.)....

Isn't there an University in Huatulco in Santa Cruz affliated to that one? I guess no affliation or same issues affecting them.

One day, I shall see Oaxaca City if it kills me.Not kills me. An expression.

See you

and Good luck ..you were always so generous with your help.

Hurricnae John has come and gone.The pacific side of Mexico is really safer from hurricanes than the Caribbeans so I had no worries.I only worry about socio-economic 'hurricanes'.

4. Re: How are the Professor protest affecting the coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 20:20