We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Manzanillo cheap for $45 a day

Manzanillo
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel Manzanillo cheap for $45 a day

Hey guys, I recently put up an article on my Manzanillo Blog about how to visit Manzanillo on a small budget.

I thought you all would enjoy some of the advice. Maybe you have some ideas I could add to the article!

When To Go:

Prices easily double during tourist season. To get the best prices and deals, try visiting in September and early October. Most hotels and businesses are hurting for customers at this time and offer some great deals to attract business. If that's too hot for you then try to come in May.

Where To Stay:

Prices range from $25/night to $350/night. Staying at the cheapest hotel in Mexico can ruin your vacation if it is not clean and comfortable. We recommend a balanced approach. For about $50 a night you can get a decent, air-conditioned, comfortable room in a hotel like the new Hotel La Posada in the neighborhood of Santiago next to the Saturday Market.

Where To Eat:

Eat like the locals. Check out the taco stands. You can eat cheap and authentic and delicious food at these places. Look for how popular the stand is, if it is popular then it is a safe bet that the food is good and fresh.

Where To Shop:

Shop at the local markets. You can find great deals on local arts and crafts. If you are buying produce then go to your local abarrote. Skip Walmart and Soriana since they are always going to be more expensive.

What To Do:

Snorkeling is a great and cheap activitiy. The ocean provides endless fun. A great tip is to buy one of the small umbrellas at the checkout counters in Soriana. Saves you the 100 pesos they charge to use the umbrellas on the beach. Also, check out the ice skating at Club Maeva! 35 pesos, and you can tell all your friends you ice skated in Mexico

Those are a few tips I thought you guys would enjoy. I've got more on my website, but I didn't want to have a huge post. What ideas do you have for traveling cheaply in Mexico?

-Manzanilloblogger

www.manzanilloblog.com

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
274 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Manzanillo cheap for $45 a day

Travel light/carry on only. We never take taxis and travel only by colectivos or local buses. It's fun and doesn't take long to figure out the routes. We buy our booze at the market and have cocktails on our porch before going out to avoid expensive drink prices at restaurants. Agree with you,go were the locals go. Thanks for the good info on this forum and on your blog.

Manzanillo
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Manzanillo cheap for $45 a day

No problem, we are working hard to give some good information to everybody.

The best thing about traveling to a warm climate is you actually can travel with carry-on only. It's great. You are so right. Just make sure you bring an extra bag to carry your thriftely purchased souvenirs back with you.

Manzanillo
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Manzanillo cheap for $45 a day

By the way, the Hotel La Posada that is linked in my post is not the La Posada I was talking about. The one I am talking about is in Santiago right next to the Saturday Market, near Juanitos. The other La Posada is in the middle of Las Brisas, farther from the city.

sanantonio
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Manzanillo cheap for $45 a day

If you are a Walmart shopper in the US or Canada you will probaly shop at Walmart here in Manzanillo. But for the rest of us non-Walmart shoppers, good advise to shop the local stores. The prices may be higher but the money stays in Manzanillo. I think it would be a good project for someone to put together a list of local stores broken down by product. My wife and I shop a small meal store near our home and have always found their products fresh and afforable - I will get the name and correct address for everyone. We buy our liquor now from Viva Vino in Plaza Galeria. As for all of other buying habits I will start keeping track of the places for price and quality.

Manzanillo
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Manzanillo cheap for $45 a day

That would be great. Do you actually find the prices to be higher in the small neighborhood abarrotes than when compared to Walmart? I just bought 5 pounds of tomatoes (2 kilos) for 10 pesos off a passing truck.

Coming from NYC where a single tomato can run you almost a dollar, I love how affordable the produce is down here.

Manzanillo
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Manzanillo cheap for $45 a day

We just got an email about a hostel in Manzanillo called Mismo Sol. They are in Santiago. Website is: www.mismosol.com

That's a great way to travel and save a ton of money!

-Manzanilloblogger

http://www.manzanilloblog.com

7. Re: Travel Manzanillo cheap for $45 a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo
Recent Conversations