We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Puerta Vallarta to Manzanillo???

Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
south dakota
4 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Puerta Vallarta to Manzanillo???

We are unable to get a flight directly to Manzanillo for the day we need to travel (they are all booked) We are now planning on driving from PV. Any thoughts or advice on this? Is it safe? What is the best route?

Phoenix AZ
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Puerta Vallarta to Manzanillo???

Driving down from Puerto Vallarta will take about 4 hours on a 2 lane road along the coast... That's the only way to come.

The other option is to Fly to Guadalajara GDL and drive to Manzanillo ... that's a 3 hour drive on a highway.

manzanillo, mexico
Level Contributor
38 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Puerta Vallarta to Manzanillo???

I have driven this route many times and it is quite scenic though requires much concentration due to the twists and turns. There are some interesting side trips along the way. I do not believe it is dangerous other than the curves in the mountains. Would not advise you to drive it at night due to all the curves and no street lights. There are also express buses several times a day which is another option.

south dakota
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Puerta Vallarta to Manzanillo???

Thanks for the info....how do you catch the express buses? Do they leave from the PV airport? Do they run at night?

manzanillo, mexico
Level Contributor
38 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Puerta Vallarta to Manzanillo???

I do not know the schedule but one time, a friend flew into PV, stopped in a hotel overnight and caught the 0700hr bus the next morning. I think there are quite a few buses every day. Check the web for Primera, or express bus services in Mexico

Los Angeles, Ca
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Puerta Vallarta to Manzanillo???

I just took the 1st class bus from PV to Manzanillo a couple of weeks ago. It is really nice (in fact, they play movies on the way) The bus station is close to the PV airport. I would definately recommed the bus. Their is only one non-stop to Manzanillo which leaves at 7:00am. Another option is taking the bus to Barria Navidad and catching a cab from there. However, this bus stops a couple of times. I think we left at 12:30pm and arrived 4:30pm. Manzanillo is another hour from there. The bus cost $20.00 or $30.00 and a cab should cost around $30.00.

Fort Drum, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Puerta Vallarta to Manzanillo???

About 4 or five hours. Make sure your car is newer and in good condition. Its not theft proof, but safe enough. Wouldn't take and open air jeep so if there are Gorillas, they can't jump on. Also, if your only driving TO PV. Make sure you can leave your car w/ a rental agency there.

south dakota
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Puerta Vallarta to Manzanillo???

qcurl, Thanks for the bus info....how long was the bus ride directly from PV to Manzanillo- is it 4 hours? What time does it go back to PV? We want to make sure we can get back in time for our return flight....

We were planning on renting a jeep, to enjoy the experience, so I am not quite sure what to think of the "Gorilla's" comment....I have talked to people who said that it is a safe drive.

Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo