We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Tesoro Manzinillo Feb 9 2011. 3 weeks !!!!

Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Tesoro Manzinillo Feb 9 2011. 3 weeks !!!!

Sooo excited to go, anything like great must see places, to eat or quiet beaches or even if there are places to shop. Really would like the feed back and maybe others who will be visiting at the same time.

Calgary
Level Contributor
14 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Tesoro Manzinillo Feb 9 2011. 3 weeks !!!!

Hi Amy,

We just returned from Manzanillo and your hotel is super family friendly. There are a lot of guests on the beach. When we were there, they were mostly Mexican vacationers. You may want to look into renting a car. We booked one at the airport and it costs about 200.00 CAD. You are quite isolated from the town or other resorts but can get to town by bus. The town is very very mexican. We were the only caucasians in the town of Santiago (the closest town to your hotel). If you rent a car, the best beach is Playa del Oro. It is at mile 30 1/2 and is 7 miles from the highway to the beach. Super quiet. No one lives there. If you are interested further, you can reply and I will give extensive details. Bbq chicken at any roadside stand is the best. A whole chicken with tortilla and salsa for 80 peso. Look for billowing smoke and an outdoor bbq. Taco stands are good as well. The central town of Manzanillo is old and bustling. You are in a port city but your hotel faces away from that bay so you do not get the lights of the harbour. They are really bright the closer you get to Manzanillo proper. Hope this is some help.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Tesoro Manzinillo Feb 9 2011. 3 weeks !!!!

Thank you soo much for your reply and your info about the city. Would love to hear more. It will be a very "special time" for my boyfriend and I so I'm looking also for other romantic places to visit. The beach sounds wonderful.

calgary
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Tesoro Manzinillo Feb 9 2011. 3 weeks !!!!

I would be very interested in how much you paid for your insurance on the car hire and for what coverage? What car hire company did you use?Many thanks

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Tesoro Manzinillo Feb 9 2011. 3 weeks !!!!

Got back yest. from the Tesoro and boy didi we have a great time there! We didnt rent a car, we took the bus. There is a bus stop by the Tesoro that takes you part way into town then you get a bus marked Centro which will take you right downtown.

Or if you like to walk, you can walk from the hotel, going left out of the driveway, and up to the main road and catch the Centro bus there. 6 pesos! 48 cents! It's a bit of a walk, takes 15-20 mins. and some hills, but we liked the exercise. Getting around is very easy.

Toronto
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Tesoro Manzinillo Feb 9 2011. 3 weeks !!!!

Just got back yesterday and loved it. I just posted a note about a fabulous private driver/guide named Roberto. If you would like any further information about him, feel free to contact me. He will cost you far less than the organized tours that are offered and you will find the experience very rewarding. As for renting a car, be aware that under Mexican law you are guilty until proven innocent. I know of someone who was involved in an accident on a Saturday and because the courts were closed on the weekends he had to remain in jail until Monday morning when everything could be sorted out. I suggest you do a great deal of research about driving in Mexico first. Also keep in mind the roads for the most part can be tricky and a bit treacherous depending on where you go. Please check this all out first.

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Tesoro Manzinillo Feb 9 2011. 3 weeks !!!!

Ii agree with Newcap. Remember the young guy from the Toronto area who was in a car accident that was not his fault, and he ended up stuck in Mexico for months as they would not let him leave. His mother went broke trying to get him released. Pressure from the Toronto Sun newspaper and eventually Canadian politicians finally got him released. So contemplate car rental very carefully. The bus system there is very good and cheap too. I'd never rent a car there.

Lethbridge, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
Level Contributor
579 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Tesoro Manzinillo Feb 9 2011. 3 weeks !!!!

I concur. I have been to manz. a number of times and have decided that it is not worth all the stress to rent a car and drive.

Being distracted looking at stuff and not knowing where to go = accidents.

There are lots of buses and cabs to catch.

You can hire a cab for a day tour or whatever you like very inexpensively.

I too have some names of english speaking drivers we have used and have been very happy with them. (pm me if you would like their numbers)

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Tesoro Manzinillo Feb 9 2011. 3 weeks !!!!

Hi: We'll be there for three weeks as well starting Feb. 2nd...my email address is caradon at telus.net.

How exciting.

Carol.

Edited: 22 January 2011, 18:21
Calgary
Level Contributor
14 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Tesoro Manzinillo Feb 9 2011. 3 weeks !!!!

We rented online through Budget. It costs about 500.00 CAD for 12 days after insurance and a different location drop off. We drove to Guadelahara then Puerto Vallarta and flew home from there. The cost for a different city drop off was about 170.00. The insurance is high and we have rented in Mexico before. I do not think there is a way around the insurance surcharge. the car costs 10.00 CAD per day but the add on were pretty high.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Tesoro Manzinillo Feb 9 2011. 3 weeks !!!!

Wasn't that guy with the car accident trouble in Cuba ?

Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo