We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Mexican currency

Inland Empire, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Using Mexican currency

We are leaving on a cruise in 7 days and I could really use some help. One of our ports is Manzanillo and I am reading that it is better to use pesos.

1) Is there an atm near the cruise port so that I can exchange (withdraw) pesos for the cab?

2) How do the pesos come out of the atm? In US it is $20's. So if I want to get 500-700 pesos, do they come out in small bills (preferred).

3) If tipping in pesos, what is a good tip for a waitress/bartender? (we will be going to Tesoro for the day)

4) Does anyone know what the cab fare should be from the cruise ship to Tesoro (in pesos)?

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Tesoro Manzanillo
Tesoro Manzanillo
1,319 Reviews
Manzanillo, Mexico
Manzanillo
Manzanillo
Colima, Mexico
Manzanillo, Mexico
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Mexican currency

1) The cabs at the cruise ship should be willing to take USD as well as MXN. They deal with a lot of foreigners. I unfortunately don't know if there's an ATM near there. The Tesoro it will be better to have pesos.

2) It depends on the ATM that you use. Bancomer ATM's give large bills typically (100-500's). Others like Santander can spit out 20's and 50's at times.

3) Typical tip is 10-15% just like in the USA.

4) Cab fare should be around $10-15 USD or $140-180 pesos depending on the exchange rate.

Faolan

BTW, how's the IE? I lived in Rancho Cucamonga for several years.

Mentioned in this post
Tesoro Manzanillo
Tesoro Manzanillo
1,319 Reviews
Manzanillo, Mexico
United States
United States
North America
Inland Empire, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Mexican currency

Thanks for the info, FaolanMX.

We have lived in the IE for 12 years now and love it. We are at the east end, at the base of the mountains. RC has grown alot in the past couple years!

Inland Empire, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Mexican currency

Another question:

If I am at an AI resort and the waiter/waitress brings me drinks, what's a good tip? One or two of those 10 peso coins? Now I am complicating myself with coins!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Mexican currency

10 pesos a round is reasonable; we tend to do about that; 20 pesos every two rounds, if we're out of coins.

5. Re: Using Mexican currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 20:17
Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo