We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Updated taxi info?

Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Inland Empire, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Updated taxi info?

We will be in Manzanillo in about a week and I was wondering if anyone can give me some updated info on the taxis.

1) How much is a taxi ride from the cruise dock to Tesoro (pesos and us dollars)?

2) Is the cost per ride or per person?

3) Can 4 people ride comfortably in a taxi?

4) Is a taxi easy to catch at the cruise dock? At Tesoro?

Thank you for your help!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Updated taxi info?

1) Taxis in Manzanillo have a moderately flexible flat rate system. For a regular taxi, the cost should be between 150 pesos and 200 pesos. The purser (or the dock concierge or whatever they're called) should be able to tell you exactly how much to pay.

2) The cost is per ride.

3) Depends on the size of the people. Most taxis are compact cars, which fit three passengers comfortably. However, if you've got two adults and two children, you may be able to squeeze three people in the backseat. If you have a group of four adults, you may want to jump in a minivan taxi instead; the cost should be about the same.

4) You should have no problem catching a taxi at either end of your trip. At Tesoro, they tend to line up and park, and if there isn't one waiting at the door, the concierge will radio one, and they'll generally be there in five minutes. At the cruise ship end, there should be a line of taxis coming and going all day, so it just depends on when you disembark.

Lethbridge, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
Level Contributor
581 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Updated taxi info?

Taxis depend on where you are and the time of day. We always negotiate the price before we get in and can tell when it is a busy time for the cabs and need to offer more for a ride.

Cabs are very reasonable and are quick way to get around.

On the street, I think you can get cabs cheaper than at a resort.

Manzanillo
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
Level Contributor
516 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Updated taxi info?

The taxis here are regulated by a tariff rate that is from zone to zone. There are no meters. ALWAYS ask the price first. If you think it's too much, simply, politely, ask to see the tariff sheet. They all have them and must present them when asked.

As an example, the rate from the central bus depot to Santiago is 60MXP. Santiago to downtown Centro is 100MXP.

Some drivers will shop you and include a big tip for themselves. Sometimes tourists will generously "over pay" and this can lead to the conclusion that they can gross tourists, so it's best to just ask for the tariff to avoid problems.

Have fun and enjoy your stay!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Updated taxi info?

Thanks for that explanation, Don! That's really helpful to know!

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Updated taxi info?

We used taxis to/from Walmart last night. 40 pesos each way, condo on Las Brisas. Sure beats walking ... It's frikkening HOT!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Updated taxi info?

I'm really, REALLY jealous, glacierlady! The weather around here is cool and clammy; winter is coming! Hope your trip is going well!

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Updated taxi info?

Help! ..I'm melting! It's too hot for me...but that's good for the taxi drivers cause I'm not walking! Some have been charging me 30 pesos when I'm alone, maybe cause I stand out so badly..LOL I usually tip cause I enjoy trying to practice my spanish with them and we have common ground. I haven't found any taxis with AC. All the drivers have been friendly so far and it's usually not too hard to find one.

8. Re: Updated taxi info?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo